Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace
Quote | Reply
I just did a sprint tri and I feel like a I could eat paper I am so hungry. I know it doesn't burn many calories but is there some sort of afterburn with the all out effort. I don't get this hungry after a 4 hr bike ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace [Mrdavidalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrdavidalex wrote:
I just did a sprint tri and I feel like a I could eat paper I am so hungry. I know it doesn't burn many calories but is there some sort of afterburn with the all out effort. I don't get this hungry after a 4 hr bike ride.

I imagine your hunger has more to do with depleting glycogen and low blood glucose levels than the total calories burned, per se. Hard workouts, especially of any duration, always make be very hungry.

Yes there is an after burn to exercise, but it's relatively minor.
Quote Reply
Re: Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Mrdavidalex wrote:

I imagine your hunger has more to do with depleting glycogen and low blood glucose levels than the total calories burned, per se. Hard workouts, especially of any duration, always make be very hungry.

^^^^This.

Depending on your body weight (and to a minor extent the course), a sprint probably burns 800-1200 kcal. That's not zero, but it won't give you a free pass at In-n-Out. A shorter race will burn a higher % of carbs vs. fat; on your longer rides you aren't quite as reliant on carbs.

The key thing is to put back some carbs and a bit of protein soon after the race finishes (within 1/2 hr.). Get some fluid to fill your stomach a bit and start rehydrating, have a powerbar and a protein bar. On the way home have a regular lunch.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: May 18, 13 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace [Mrdavidalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
800-1200 ish Cals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5k run is around 300
12 mile bike is around 400
400-750m swim is 100-200

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hunger soon after a sprint tri depends more on what you didn't eat for breakfast... and the night before. You may have a large caloric deficit depending on how much you restricted intake.

Mrdavidalex wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh. Usually I'm a bit sick to my stomach after short races/intervals. No way I could eat a house down.

Long course, on the other hand... my pantry screams in fear when I get home. :-)

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have a snack.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Re: Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This touches on a question I have been wondering about - does fitness play into calorie burn?

For instance - lets say Matt Reed and I complete the same 7 mile run in an hour, and our weights are equal.
Even though that may be a mellow 'recovery run' for him, it is a tempo run for me.

My understanding is that equal mass covering equal distance in equal time (running economy aside) means
we burn the same calories, even if he barely breaks a sweat and I'm flat out.

True or False?

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other people have done the math but research has determined that for really high intensity training/racing you burn more calories (200-400ish depending) since your body is working in overtime to repair as that is very taxing on the body. Still not enough to feel like you need to eat paper, but something to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace = Calories burned in a sprint tri at a total cruise pace (but takes twice as long to complete)

I vote for the glycogen/glucose depletion which will affect brain function (or the lack of fuel for the brain at least)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
This touches on a question I have been wondering about - does fitness play into calorie burn?

For instance - lets say Matt Reed and I complete the same 7 mile run in an hour, and our weights are equal.
Even though that may be a mellow 'recovery run' for him, it is a tempo run for me.

My understanding is that equal mass covering equal distance in equal time (running economy aside) means
we burn the same calories, even if he barely breaks a sweat and I'm flat out. True or False? .

This has always been my understanding also, and I think that this is why the top athletes have to eat so much, cause they're burning around 50% more calories/hr than we do (all things being equal, e.g. Reed would run 10.5 miles in an hour for his tempo run), plus they can tolerate more hrs of training per day than we can.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't forget about efficiency too
Quote Reply
Re: Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace [zambony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zambony wrote:
don't forget about efficiency too

Are you saying the elite athlete may burn fewer cal/mi due to his/her efficiency???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
TriDevilDog wrote:

we burn the same calories, even if he barely breaks a sweat and I'm flat out. True or False? .

This has always been my understanding also, and I think that this is why the top athletes have to eat so much, cause they're burning around 50% more calories/hr than we do (all things being equal, e.g. Reed would run 10.5 miles in an hour for his tempo run), plus they can tolerate more hrs of training per day than we can.
True for the run, but not correct for the bike. Riding faster burns more Cals/mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes
They will spare alll the energy poor runners will spend bouncing
(For an ez run at the same pace)
Quote Reply
Re: Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
TriDevilDog wrote:

True for the run, but not correct for the bike. Riding faster burns more Cals/mile.

OK, I can see that, using more energy to generate more watts and go faster. However, in this particular case we were just talking about running, but good point:)

Quote Reply
Re: Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace [zambony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zambony wrote:
yes
They will spare all the energy poor runners will spend bouncing
(For an ez run at the same pace)

Right, understand that and actually, if you look back at TriDevilDog's original post (#9 above), he says "neglecting running economy", so really that is what we were talking about, but ya, you bring up a valid point. Even more so this is true of course with top swimmers in that hey are so smooth that they burn many less calories at say a 1:05/100 scy pace than we would. On the other hand, it is fairly well documented that Phelps ate somewhere around 8000 to 9000 cal/day when training hard at a weight of around 190 lbs. Of course he was quite young at the time, e.g. 21-22-ish, plus he may have been gaining some muscle mass at that time. I think he did gain around 10-15 lbs between the '04 and '08 Olympics.

Quote Reply
Re: Calories burned in a sprint Tri at all out pace [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Mrdavidalex wrote:

^^^^This.

Depending on your body weight (and to a minor extent the course), a sprint probably burns 800-1200 kcal. That's not zero, but it won't give you a free pass at In-n-Out. A shorter race will burn a higher % of carbs vs. fat; on your longer rides you aren't quite as reliant on carbs.

The key thing is to put back some carbs and a bit of protein soon after the race finishes (within 1/2 hr.). Get some fluid to fill your stomach a bit and start rehydrating, have a powerbar and a protein bar. On the way home have a regular lunch.

x2. A 30 minute criterium race yesterday, I burned ~600 cals. I wasn't all that hungry, but given the heat, I had a huge need to replace fluids.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply