Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oakley - Polarized vs non-Polarized lenses
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra $$$ to go with polarized lenses in a pair of Oakley sunglasses. Say I'm comparing two lenses that are the same tint, but one is polarized and the other is not. What I am going to notice with the polarized lens?

Thanks.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley - Polarized vs non-Polarized lenses [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The polarization cuts down on glare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never thought I would fall for the hype and advertising... but I gotta tell ya...I honestly think I can feel my eyeballs relax when I put on my polarized Radars!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your eyes don't burn on a sunny day :-)

Polarized is definitely worth it, normal tint doesn't block the sun as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powered by KiWAMi, iRun Earphones, Zensah Compression, PowerBar, Training Bible Coaching and Xterra Wetsuits.

Twitter l Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW - Very tough to read your computer with polarized lenses, if that's something you would care about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've noticed that my polarized oakley's make everything crisper.

I've used gold iridium lenses for 10 years, and got a pair of gold polarized last year. There is a noticeable difference in the two lenses.

Try on a pair of each and you will see the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley - Polarized vs non-Polarized lenses [DouglassJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I did try both on in the same lens tent. I don't think I got the full effect looking around the Sunglass Hut inside a mall, though. LOL!

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question that polarized is worth it. It will spoil you for anything else.

Twomarks
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley - Polarized vs non-Polarized lenses [twomarks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you like looking at rainbows the polarized glasses just wipe them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if Oakley apply a film or laminate the polarising layer inside the lens. The latter is better quality.

If you imagine throwing a handful of light into your eye, some will hit it direct but a ton of it will enter the eye at funny angles. This creates glare, a bit like a blur of light. If you can only allow the light in that hits your eye centrally then you reduce all the other crap and just get the direct light. No glare, crisper image. This of it as reducing TV static, but from your eyes.

I think sunglass lenses reduce horizontal light, only allowing in vertical light. This drastically reduces glare (especially from lakes, windows, mirrors and shiny surfaces, which in turn makes the image you see appear sharper. Also, the brighter the light is the more glare you get, by cutting that out you will effectively be able to see more of the non glaring stuff.

Given a choice, based on a reasonable cost difference, I would run polarized.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you go polarized you won't go back. All my shades are polarized - from my Aviators to my Radar Locks. It makes a huge difference,even for the lighter tint ones.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley - Polarized vs non-Polarized lenses [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just in case you are not sure what the answer might be, get the polarized!

You won't regret it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using Rivbos on amazon for a few years. Not quite Oakley quality, but you can’t beat $20.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley - Polarized vs non-Polarized lenses [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have polarized Oakley Bottle Rockets. They're great for bright sun, but as another poster noted, makes it tough to see your computer and your phone. Or maybe that's my old eyes ;-)
Quote Reply