Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the shiv comp and it recently started clicking when I pedal. Ive checked everything externally and its nothing external. Is the sound always a squeeking noise or can it sometimes sound like its clicking? It only happens when I pedal and it seems to be coming from the bb.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like it could be the same problem. I would take it in and have it checked.

As for my bearing mystery its just a bb30 and the bearing needs is supposed to be glued in with "3M Scotch Weld - Epoxy Adhesive DP-420" The service tech said it would be $40-50 for him to do it and i could do it but the epoxy alone costs $25 at Grainger...

This sounds crazy but the Specialized dealer said this is what they were instructed to do. I hope this helps

Danny
Last edited by: dannyh: Jun 20, 13 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems bizarre. I can't say I have heard of anyone else having to epoxy in their BB bearings.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds very strange indeed. I've got a 2013 XL and haven't had any BB issues.

Clicking on brand new bearings to me would suggest a manufacturing fault either in the bearings or the BB shell. I'd be trying to fit those bearings in another frame to test, or a new set of bearings in the frame in question..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [K_Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put my Shiv on an instant diet and replaced the bars with ADR Ultra TT Bars. Non adjustable, quite wide between bars but at 480 (measured) grams the lightest I could find - and relatively in-expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the brake cable rubbing your crank under the BB?

There is not much clearance.

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just saw this in another thread and thought I would post it here in case it may help someone in the future.

Quote:
There's only been a couple of carbon Specialized bikes that we've sold (with press fit bottom brackets) that didn't click or creak after a month or so. Shiv's and Venge's included. Spec. has gone so far as to design an epoxy system to try and stop the racket. I am glad I am moving in a month or so, and won't have to deal with it anymore. Unless I work at another Spec. dealer that is.
There's a sleeve type BB that supposedly eliminates the issue, but it's not made by them. The Venge also has dismal cable routing issues, which was solved by crossing the shifter cables at the head tube, and using the Sram/Gore "ride on" cable system. I believe Sram bought the Gore rights to it, because I noticed Sram now has it in their offerings, and the Gore branded kit was suddenly discontinued. From what I have heard the frames were "designed for DI2" so no consideration was taken for smoothness of cable travel. The culprit is right where it exits the frame in the rear, the cable is made to bend at a severe angle, which affects the shifting. I have no doubt they will eventually get all these issues ironed out. I only wish they hadn't done the "testing" at the customers expense.

The Venge is the only model where I have seen any cracking issues, though.

Last edited by: dannyh: May 14, 13 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is good to know. I will contact my LBS to find out if they know anything about this and if the problem is resolved I will get back to the ST community. Thanks.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:
It sounds like it could be the same problem. I would take it in and have it checked.

As for my bearing mystery its just a pressfit bb30 where the plastic cups need to be glued in with "3M Scotch Weld - Epoxy Adhesive DP-420" The service tech said it would be $40-50 for him to do it and i could do it but the epoxy alone costs $25 at Grainger...

I hope this helps

Danny

And how exactly will you ever change out the bearings? This sounds like a terrible idea.

The bearings seem to be more of a slip fit than a press fit. If you get creaking, just disassemble the crank, pull out the bearings if they are loose, regrease all the contact surfaces and reassemble. I've had to do this a couple times, seems to last a few months of riding unless riding in wet conditions. But mine is possibly a bit worse since I'm also running the enduro adapter with shimano cranks so there are a couple more interfaces that can introduce some creaking.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The epoxy mentioned earlier does seem a bit much for the task.

There is some types of loctite which are not permanent but should relieve any noises in the bb.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope my previous post was not seen as a recommendation or endorsement of the epoxy solution. My intent was just to pass along information I was given by a very large Specialized dealer in Dallas. The mechanic was very specific that the aforementioned epoxy was the only one recommended by Specialized.

Also just wanted to let everyone know I don’t have this problem now. I’m just building up a previously used frame set which does not have BB assembly and wanted to avoid any potential problems. I’ll post again once its installed and tested so that it may help someone in the future.

Danny
Last edited by: dannyh: May 14, 13 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decided it was finally time to join the party. Not out of the box new but properly broken in new. Love this dam bike!

Team Zoot Northeast
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [gadzooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gadzooks wrote:
Decided it was finally time to join the party. Not out of the box new but properly broken in new. Love this dam bike!

Awesome bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Shiv Comp and it also made that clicking noise. I took it to the bike shop where I got it from and they couldn't figure it out. I told my friend about it one day and he said his Transition would do the same thing until he would wash it. So that's what I did and it quit. I figure that something in the seat post or BB gets dirty or dry. I wash it with a hose and simple green.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [coxy_in_nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coxy_in_nz wrote:
I put my Shiv on an instant diet and replaced the bars with ADR Ultra TT Bars. Non adjustable, quite wide between bars but at 480 (measured) grams the lightest I could find - and relatively in-expensive.

Good call. The stock bars seem heavy.

In addition to going with lighter aerobars, I would love to eventually upgrade to Zipp race wheels and SRAM red. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should not be charged at all for this, specialized dealer should do it FOC
we certainly do in uk,

dannyh wrote:

As for my bearing mystery its just a pressfit bb30 where the plastic cups need to be glued in with "3M Scotch Weld - Epoxy Adhesive DP-420" The service tech said it would be $40-50 for him to do it and i could do it but the epoxy alone costs $25 at Grainger...

I hope this helps

Danny
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Boooo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same problem here...

Do you think my bikeshop could fix it or it must be sent to Specialized absolutely? I'm in Canada and I suspect that the delay could be long...

Is it still safe to ride it for a TT this weekend?

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sucks!
You can't fix it.
I don't think it's dangerous to ride your bike. Your seat post will just drop as your riding. I would add some extra carbon paste to your seat post and tighten it down as much as possible. Maybe you can get it to not slip for your race.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Boooo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long it takes you to got back your frame from Specialized?

Thanks for the support!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized was great about it.
It was sent 2day mail there and 2 day back.
I dropped it off on a Thursday and had it back the end of the following week.
Just make sure the bike shop doesn't let it sit.
I called the bike shop ahead and told them to book the mechanics time to take the bike apart and ship it same day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More pics of the cockpit setup please? Looks great! Is that a vuka stealth? What size bike and what size bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mile2424 wrote:
More pics of the cockpit setup please? Looks great! Is that a vuka stealth? What size bike and what size bars?

Thank you!

Yeah sure, I can take a few more pics of the front end and post'em. The bars are the Vuka Stealth with Vuka extensions. The bars are absolutely out of this world comfortable. Very adjustable and unlimited choices. I've been on the following bars Generation 1 HED aero bar, HED Corsair and the Profile Design Cobra Base bar with extension and nothing even compares to this Zipp set up. Corsair was probably the closest.

Bike is a Large and Bars are a Large as well. We took my Cervelo fit coordinates and pretty much transferred them to this bike. Those were the sizes that worked out. The adjustments I've had to make so far is moving the arm pads back a little and then I'll move the extensions back, cut them and probably be done. Then I'll tidy things up in the front. Probably add a BTA bottle holder.

Team Zoot Northeast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome build and the bike looks great! Would love to see some more pics when you have time!

Trying to decide myself right now between Vuka Stealth in a Medium or Large. There is so much overlap on the fitment that I am having a hard time deciding which is best.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mile2424 wrote:
Awesome build and the bike looks great! Would love to see some more pics when you have time!

Trying to decide myself right now between Vuka Stealth in a Medium or Large. There is so much overlap on the fitment that I am having a hard time deciding which is best.

I'm about 5'11" and don't have a super long torso. My Cervelo was always a really short stem, slammed saddle forward and a little too stretched out. I was on a 56cm P3C but rode it well from about 2007 until Kona last year. Just never really comfortable.

The new bike fits like a glove. We initially had the arm rests in the forward most position. I recently moved them to the middle position and it's probably dead on perfect. I think it was roughly 10-15mm back to me. If I did want to move things back a little more I do have the option to go to the back position but I think that would move me to far back behind the bottom bracket. I like where I am right now. Nothing else was touched on the bike once we moved the arm rests back. There is a ton of adjustability with those bars. Also several different cable routing options. I find something new every week or so! So a long as your reach is not off by too much I think you can get pretty close using the fit tool on this ST site here. That's what we used.

Team Zoot Northeast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my Shiv fitted yesterday!!! Happy me.

Wondering at what length are people cutting their bladder straw/hose.

Any suggestions?
Place ment on the bike?
or any other tips for set up?
or tips on for new Shiv rider?

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next