Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Timsmu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Timsmu, these threaded adapters allow the use of dura ace cranks in BB30 bikes:
http://fairwheelbikes.com/...-bracket-p-2926.html
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey philosoraptor, the threaded adapters I linked to solve creaking issues and alignment issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had trouble with the bb causing a loud clicking noise! The shops took it out and re greased and placed back in. Now after 70 miles it is back but more mild. I am just annoyed with it.

For right now, I am going to use stock fsa cranks and upgrade later.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [chrispee44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrispee44 wrote:
How are people using BTA bottles with the standard Ski bend bars and drink straw, i run a fairly narrow front end and there doesn't appear to be enough room to fit a cage and bottle alongside the drink straw, are there any particular brands that are narrow (have elite cages at the moment) Im using an Osprey hose and bite valve for better flow as well? Any tips/pictures with the stock front end would be great....

Thanks

Here's my Wildflower cockpit with the stock aerobars (2012 Shiv Comp Rival):

I'm using an XLAB Torpedo Mount with a plastic bottle cage.

My LBS was able to rush order a replacement bladder for me just in time for WF!
Last edited by: K_Man: May 2, 13 21:27
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered my shiv last night, should be able to race it at Williamsburg.....

It feels like Christmas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timsmu wrote:
I have had trouble with the bb causing a loud clicking noise! The shops took it out and re greased and placed back in. Now after 70 miles it is back but more mild. I am just annoyed with it.

For right now, I am going to use stock fsa cranks and upgrade later.

I was hearing a knocking sound everytime I pushed hard in my left crank arm. The mechanic at my lbs was able to determine that the fsa cranks were missing a two of three "balls" that are supposed to be inside them. He put the balls in and now the knocking sound is gone! He thinks the balls were just not put in during assembly for some reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TexanTriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 Shiv TT, I use black electrical tape to tape GUs down the Top Tube. Its easy to pull off, I usually take about 4 of them. You can also get a Tri Shirt or Suit and they usually have a pocket you could put some in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know if there are any aftermarket brakes that fit the non-UCI Shiv?

I'm just hoping I don"t need to go through Specialized, but I will if needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [K_Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! Sounds like same problem!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike was built up with no carbon paste- is this typical? I just ordered some for my seatpost- any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having just put on an SRM onto my Shiv (taking off the SRAM Force crank...speaking of, if anybody needs a 175 mm BB30 Force crank, I have on the Classifieds...)

The adapters that Specialized ships with the Shiv work GREAT. Just tap 'em in, run your standard Shimano DuraAce crankset. Problem solved. Thing runs like a dream.

One of these days, I'll post pictures on how I managed to thread the wiring (yep, old school SRM!) through the frame.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Bobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the optimal Shiv hydration set up? I am doing my first HIM at Quassy next month and I am trying to dial in hydration on my Shiv Comp. This is my first tri bike. I have a Xlab Turbo Wing with two Gorilla cages hanging off the saddle and am using the Fuelselage. Most people here seem to run with just a BTA and the bladder. What is the general consensus? Is my set up overkill and can I lose the Turbo Wing? I also have the Sonic Nut on the wing which is convenient to hold my CO2 set up with a tube under the saddle
Last edited by: changums: May 3, 13 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just pulled the trigger on a Shiv Comp Rival. What are the top 3 reasonably priced upgrades you would do (I already have a good saddle)?
Last edited by: Mvitale24: May 3, 13 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would lose the wing. when i did my first half i was able to do it on two bottles, one being a speedfill between the bars and there is plenty of fluid out on the course.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty interested in the old-school SRM wiring setup
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would lose the wing. when i did my first half i was able to do it on two bottles, one being a speedfill between the bars and there is plenty of fluid out on the course. /quote]

In that case where should I put tube, co2 and levers?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Shony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to my Shiv TT, Specialized gave me a new frame.
Last edited by: quangtt: May 4, 13 5:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, so here goes nothing:

My Shiv was built using the SRAM Force BB30 crankset that I had from my previous bike. It was built with SRAM's BB30 bottom bracket. Very clean set-up overall. Little wonky with the one spacer on the non-drive side, but outside of that, no big deal.

The SRM is a wired unit that was calibrated last year and has been unused since. (The prior owner switched over to a PowerTap and never looked back.) PCV, old school software, the works. It is the Gen II power sensor and mounting bracket, though, which probably made my transition over.

Tools you'll need:
  • 10 mm Allen key
  • Grease (choose the Phil Wood stuff based on the ST article about installing a Shimano crank...thanks Greg!)
  • Specialized adapter cups
  • Shimano pre-loading adjustment tool
  • 5 mm Allen key
  • 4 mm Allen key
  • Patience and/or bourbon.
The first thing I did was remove the old crank. This was my first mistake in the process; I did not take my pedals off of the crank. For the record, it is an epic pain in the ass to remove pedals from a crank that isn't on a bike.

At any rate, the two washers on the non-drive side came out right then and there, but everything else was packed well. I took this opportunity to just clean out the area and re-greased it. Considering I've only been outdoors for about a month, I was surprised by some of the grit and grime in there. Thinking that the shop that built up my bike used a subpar grease.

You then tap in the adapters. They are friction fit, so you just take a rubber mallet and tap them on into place. They will stick out further than you think they are "supposed" to. You're wrong. That's as far as they go. I made sure to check on the opposite one before I installed it...yep, that's as deep as she'll go.

Grease the spindle of the new crank, make sure you put the chain on there (mistake #2), slide on in. Install non-drive side arm, tighten the pre-load, then tighten the arms. Crank is on board!

Now for the fun part: getting the wiring into the frame.

You have two options: run it through the same port that the derailleur cables come through, or run it through the bottom bracket port up through past the Fuelselage. I attempted to run the cabling through the port that the cables come through. You WILL need to re-cable the bike if you try this route. There's simply not enough space in there for the head of the sensor cable to run through the piping and for the cables. I tried only removing the FD cable, and that doesn't work, either. You've gotta do all of them.

So I went with option #2: through the bottom bracket "cut-out." You'll need a fishing cable of some kind. My weapon of choice: a coat hanger shaped to the tube shapes of the Shiv. You'll need to push the sensor cable backwards in to get the head of it to fit on through there. You then run your line through the frame, attach the cable to the wire, and then pull it up and through.

You then mount your sensors to the frame. I luckily had a screw that was the same length and thread for the bottom bracket cover, and was able to position the sensor correctly. This was the longest part of the process; trying to get it to run appropriately.

Without further adieu, the pictures:

The sensor routing, and the cable underneath the cover. This was HARD to figure out, and took the longest part of the process. A good two hours trying to get the sensor to seat appropriately, etc. And yes, I know...I need to clean the brakes, etc.

Wiring coming up through the Fuelselage region towards the front of the frame:

Total time: 8 hours worth of work. My next trick is getting my PCV a custom harness so that it doesn't interfere with my hydration set-up. Planning on BTA and bladder for HalfRevs this year, and then adding one behind the saddle for the FullRev in September.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Schulbub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To anyone that has questions about dura ace di2 9070 on a 2012 shiv let me know, I just got it installed on my bike. Shifting is absolutely amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to update:

My custom harness for my PCV consists of a couple of rounds of velcro between my aerobar pads. I then put velcro on the back of the PCV. Doesn't go anywhere! Reminds me a lot of the Torpedo X-Lab mount. I run this down low, then my BTA bottle up front. Plenty of room. Between that and the Shiv bladder, should be good to go for Quassy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
insert n00b question: What is a PCV and what is a BTA bottle?

I have a OSBB Shiv with Flo's 60/90's, I only use the Bontrager speed bottle and have only done Sprint/Oly 3's, TT's and weekly up to 80-90K rides up until now.
Haven't used the bladder yet so that's still in the box. I will need more hydration for the next step up to half iron, and am looking for a good setup I can get used to before I go.
So I'm lookin around. I don't like a huge hanging bottle between the bars, but could use a regular one there, like the torpedo looking one from profile.

Any pics of Shiv with hydration setups?

Also does anyone else think that the rear brake cable is too close to the crank and that they should have used a transition-like centerpull system or something instead?
If you lego-ed your own bike you should know what i'm talking about.
Any way I can upgrade/change those brakes? I still have transition center pull brakes from my old bike, could try to fit those. Or perhaps tririg has something for this?

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't help with photos as mine is still sitting in a shop unbuilt, but I can help with the terms:

PCV: The older (fifth version) head unit for SRM powermeters
BTA bottle: bottle between the aerobars like the torpedo looking one from profile, but any bottle should work

I think most people are running the BTA and the bladder for HIM and refilling as they go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, in my case, using the BTA bottle first, then ditching it at aid station 2 for water. :D I don't think I'll be able to get the bladder to refill on the fly. Too tight in there...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a used shiv frame and its being shipped to me so im getting the parts ready. Its not coming with the BB bearings so I spoke to my local dealer yesterday and he told me they are having to epoxy the bearing "cups" into the frame to quiet the BB squeaking noise. Do any of you have experience with this?

Also does this OSBB take the sealed BB30 bearings (1 piece) like the Cannondale or is there a different (2 piece bearing and cup) i need to get?

Thank you so much!
Danny
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Mvitale24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mvitale24 wrote:
Just pulled the trigger on a Shiv Comp Rival. What are the top 3 reasonably priced upgrades you would do (I already have a good saddle)?

* Race wheels. I got a Flo 60/90 wheel set for under $1K.
* For HIM races: XLAB torpedo mount and stealth pocket 100

Still figuring out my IM config, but will probably add an XLAB turbo wing, mini bag, and gorilla cage.
Last edited by: K_Man: May 7, 13 13:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next