Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The official Cervelo P3 thread
Quote | Reply
With the launch now behind us it is time to start an official thread that will last beyond the various rumor ones. So post your questions and comments here, plus once you got a hold of one of these new P3 bikes please share images of that ride and the setup.

Here meanwhile is a very tough Wendy Ingraham who braved temps around 14 degrees Fahrenheit in only knee warmers.

And here is the story about the new P3 on our homepage:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Cervelo_P3_3530.html

More pics to come.

H
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for size 45!
The geometry for this size looks ideal.

Now, when will this size be available?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there an integrated battery storage in the new P3?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caf0 wrote:
Thank you for size 45!
The geometry for this size looks ideal.

Now, when will this size be available?

I believe in one of the threads it said that some sizes were already shipping. Someone from a shop said they had a customer order one and it will be in by the end of the week. I don't remember the size though.

Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since when is $5,400 "within reach"?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:

well let us do some math.
a regular 10 speed dura ace adds $1,500 to the price of the old p3 frameset.

11 speed dura ace + magura hydraulic road brakes. probably more expensive than that. So a new p3 frame may cost ~$3,400

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [medic001918] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
medic001918 wrote:
I believe in one of the threads it said that some sizes were already shipping. Someone from a shop said they had a customer order one and it will be in by the end of the week. I don't remember the size though.

Shane

Those were sizes that begin with a "5"
The least popular sizes come out last, natch.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Within Reach is actually a term used in other industries as well. For example Design Within Reach allows you to have access to very cool unique furniture, but it does not mean cheap. I think the folks at Cervelo mean more affordable too but clearly that is a relative term, but Speed Within Reach also means having access to the technology and the speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen and touched a 45cm at the event, but the frames available starting today are 51, 54 and 56. Maybe someone from Cervelo can chime here with the other sizes.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the obvious question is "Why DA on the P3?"
It would seem to make more sense to install Force/Rival or Ultegra.
Bring the price-point down.

Unless they are attempting to control demand through pricing while they ramp up production?
Minimize the complaints about excessive delays.

Doesn't matter to me; I'm just thrilled they have a new size 45 w/ lower stack and reach.
Just curious.

jackmott wrote:
tgarson wrote:

well let us do some math.
a regular 10 speed dura ace adds $1,500 to the price of the old p3 frameset.

11 speed dura ace + magura hydraulic road brakes. probably more expensive than that. So a new p3 frame may cost ~$3,400
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is $3,400 for a frameset particularly in reach? It's a subjective and pointless debate, but as someone whom 99.99% of society would classify as extremely irrational for what I already spend on bikes, I would be pretty hard pressed to say yes. Putting my subjective narcissism cap on, which guarantees that everyone shares my opinions, I would say a complete bike for $3,400 is comfortably within reach for most 'serious' (as in, more than casual) AG triathletes.

A complete bike at or under 4 grand is starting to get up into eyebrow raising territory, but rational to an irrational triathlete who is upgrading to a more serious ride from their entry or mid-level ride. Mid-4's is stretching it, keep going and we rapidly approach dream-bike territory where it's a tough sell to spend that much without at least getting the gratification to know that you have the absolute best-- i.e. the P5 standing just over your shoulder.

As currently spec'd, I'm not saying the new P3 is a bad value, or more accurately that there isn't a very good reason why it costs as much as it does. I'm just saying I'm not exactly sure who it is for.

I would very much like it to be for me, but at present, it just isn't.

For dramatic effect I would have preferred to end it there. But realistically, I, probably like a lot of others am a lot more interested in a good aero frame and reasonable spec rather than paying a bunch extra to save some grams on DA. Nor do I particularly care to pay for a fancy rotor crank when I'm going to slap my Quarq on there. Nor for an ISM when I already have a perfectly good Cobb. Nor for the 3T Aura, when if anything, I'd put my Ventus on there to really take it to the next level.

So I'll just shut up and buy a used P4 frameset already.
Last edited by: tgarson: Apr 16, 13 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will be less expensive edition down the road. This was the model to get things rolling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone actually able to pin down Phil and get him to answer the question of the p3's drag with Aduro bar compared to the p5? Not really buying the "I'm not sure, I'll have to get back to you answer I heard"

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is the delivery schedule per Cervelo:

In Stock Now: Sizes 51, 54, 56
Available in June: Sizes 58, 61
Available in July: Size 48
Available in Fall 2013: Size 45

http://www.austinTRIcyclist.com
http://www.Cannondale.com

Last edited by: AustinTriCyclst: Apr 16, 13 17:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have gotten the new model rolling with more utilitarian components like 105-Rival-Ultegra range. It's like rolling out a new VW Jetta Model and beefing it up to the hilt and basically putting it up with the Audi A4. The consumer is likely forced into going A4 at that point. I think this is a great bike for the volume part of the tri bike market when mated with "volume price point components". It's geometry is more in tune with fitting all of the folks who need a ton of spacers or up turned stems and short stems on the former P3. Now they can ride a P3 that fits them better. Nice work by Cervelo. As I said in the other thread, I love the lower BB drop, shorter reach and higher stack. Not that I had too spacers on my old 51 P3 (I had one), but in my size I would not need any and I could use a stem that is parallel to the ground (17 degrees). One more question....I assume this bike is still totally UCI legal. Cervelo could have gone all out and thrown out UCI Legality as Specialized did, since the P5 is already UCI Legal.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I would have gotten the new model rolling with more utilitarian components like 105-Rival-Ultegra range"

What's to keep a shop from rebuilding the NP3 DA into an "Ultegra build" and pricing it around $4300 or so.
Build modifications (both up and down) happen all the time and are in fact encouraged by Cervelo.

http://www.austinTRIcyclist.com
http://www.Cannondale.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I would have gotten the new model rolling with more utilitarian components like 105-Rival-Ultegra range. It's like rolling out a new VW Jetta Model and beefing it up to the hilt and basically putting it up with the Audi A4.

Cervelo's strategy is probably based on these two reasons:

1. Sell the bikes with the highest profit margins first, and I'm guessing in this instance it's the high end models. There are likely only a few frames in each size in the short term, might as well hang the highest profit on each one.
2. Prevent canibalizing P5 sales. If you can get 90% of the P5's performance for half the price, why would you bother purchasing the P5?

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a very thoughtful response.

Meanwhile though a few more photos.

The underside of the P3.

Phil during the launch with a P3 frame in his hands and the complete bike still covered.

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And how does the new bike compare to the old bike.
Could well be the case of the new not being much faster then the old, and certainly not enough for many to upgrade, considering the rather large expense.

I was thinking about upgrading my P3 to a P5, but I think I will buy a new roadie and get a coach instead. Will make me faster in the long term...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not seen you start a thread like this for any other manufacturer other than Cervelo. Why not?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pito00 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I would have gotten the new model rolling with more utilitarian components like 105-Rival-Ultegra range. It's like rolling out a new VW Jetta Model and beefing it up to the hilt and basically putting it up with the Audi A4.

Cervelo's strategy is probably based on these two reasons:

1. Sell the bikes with the highest profit margins first, and I'm guessing in this instance it's the high end models. There are likely only a few frames in each size in the short term, might as well hang the highest profit on each one.
2. Prevent canibalizing P5 sales. If you can get 90% of the P5's performance for half the price, why would you bother purchasing the P5?

I think you already get 90% (or more) of the performance of the P5 at half the price with the old P3 :-). I think it is more of a supply issue in the near term which I totally understand. And offering a Rival version for which there is too much demand due to production limitations is not really desirable, so I understand that. Anyway, I see a Rival/Ultegra version of this as a home run offering. It can cannibalize P5 sales till the new P3 is blue in the face it is going to generate way more aggregate revenue for Cervelo than a P5. That's just the way it is. A P5 is the price of a second hand car. A P3 with Rival would be in the range of a few mortgage payments (depends on where you live). More guys and gals can justify the latter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, and I'm sure that on Pon's balance sheet they're going to be paying off the P5's R&D with P3 sales for the next 5 to 7 years. They're just maximizing profit in the near term until the supply chain can catch up with demand.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think you already get 90% (or more) of the performance of the P5 at half the price with the old P3

noope
not from a TT perspective anyway.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P3 thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is starting now with several brands. Next the new Fuji
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When will we see the Fuji thread? Sort of, kind of interested in what they're doing.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply

Prev Next