Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leaning down, not looking boney
Quote | Reply
I'm a cyclist. Climbing is my strength. Naturally, I'm dropping weight for the season. The wife noticed after 2lbs that more ribs were showing. She has requested that I maintain upper body/core muscle and not look "boney".

Is there a way to do both? Lean down, maintain muscle, but lighten up?

Doesn't sound possible to me, and this may be very specific per person, but I thought I'd ask the ST brain-cloud.
Quote Reply
Re: Leaning down, not looking boney [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the Tug Toner? I have heard some of the triathletes at the pool saying it's the biz.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot think of a way to do this that would guarantee a benefit to your peformance. The only solution I can think of would be to try and add some muscle (which is heavier- but may look less boney) and lose a lot of fat (if you have it) for a net loss of weight and even may boost your FTP ... you still may end up looking pretty boney especially if after only a 2lb loss it is apparent in the way you look from someone who sees you everyday. I am assuming you are pretty lean to start with so this option is really not an option?

Give us some details... height weight bf% current diet etc....

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also in possession of a climber's physique. Swimming 5 days per week put a thin layer of muscle over the bones that were threatening to punch their way out of my skin. People still ask me if I'm okay when I de-jersey though.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you really want sex more than to WIN! If so, why are you posting here?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Leaning down, not looking boney [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correction, I want to stay in a healthy marriage :)

6'1. 165, down to 163. No idea how to figure bf% without one of those hand grip devices. But I do have long legs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
Correction, I want to stay in a healthy marriage :)

No idea how to figure bf% without one of those hand grip devices
6'1. 165, down to 163. . But I do have long legs!

Come on now this is slowtwitch we have resources for that ... see thread http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread see picture... determine bodyfat % ... it will be accurate within +/-15% :)

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: Leaning down, not looking boney [SPROSCIA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PERFECT!

the accuracy was what I was afraid of. As I understand it, you can't do much without an actual bf device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pick one up. They're cheap (both in cost and in general accuracy). From what I hear precision isn't bad though, so it can track your trend over time (but not necessarily your exact BF). FWIW, I'm a cyclist too, 6-1, 157 and about 7.8% according to the scale. I look nothing like the pic referenced though, I'm probably better defined than him.

Also - shakeweight is your answer. Use it while biking for maximum effectiveness.