Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? APRIL FOOL's DAY edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it! Congrats to the Womens at Oceanside.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? APRIL FOOL's DAY edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was home for the week and the pool in town isn't that great, so I opted to bike a bit and spend time with my family. Vacation was great (I want another week!) and eating went really well. This Thursday I will be at 3 weeks w/o issues, YEAH!

M - 8.8 mi run + 1920 yd swim + 1:15 yoga
T - 9 mi run
W - 3 hr bike
T - 8 mi run + 1h30 bike
F - 8 mi run
S - 11 mi run
S - 6.5 mi walk + 0:40 elliptical

Totals: 1920 yd swim, 4h30 bike, 45 mi run, 7.8 mi walk (Sun. + w/u and c/d from runs), 1:55 other

Goals for the week: run every other day; ride at least 3 times; swim at least 3 times. (1 run, 1 swim done). Keep doing well with eating :-) I am a bit anxious w/ school starting up again but I can do it!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 6: WIN
- bike x 4: WIN-ish
- swim x 4: WIN
- core/strength x 4: WIN

Took a bit of an easier week as I was super tired, then cracked out a snappy run on Saturday - puts me well on track to kick some arse at the half marathon I have planned in early May. I probably should have done more cycling..

This week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 3
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

Will miss a bike workout tonight (going out to dinner with my Mum) - need to make the others count as it's now less than 2 weeks to the next spring classic.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Building up for IMTX - I'm actually looking forward to an extra rest day on this week's schedule!

Swim: 1 hr lesson with coach, 3x1 hr practice sessions, 1x 30 min Open water swim
Bike: 2 hrs on the trainer (intense heart-rate-driven workout + extra warmup cooldown to total 2 hrs), 40-mile ride, and 100-mile solo ride - it's a good thing I don't mind my own company for hours and hours!
Run: 3 miles (brick after trainer session), 8 miles w/ last 2 a little faster, 14 miles with a 10K race in the middle (was supposed to be at training pace, but I ran faster than usual - it was too tempting!), and another 3 mile brick run after my 100-mile ride.
Stretching and core - not nearly enough - I got out my mat and started stretching and almost fell asleep.
Mental stuff: lots of this on that long bike ride! This is my 2nd IM, and I'm happy that I'm so much more positive this time. I find myself thinking that I know I can do it, even at those moments when the going is tough. I still need to work on nutrition, which was a problem in 2011, but the heat was a factor and it's hard to duplicate that feeling when it's cooler out. It got into the 80s yesterday and was windy, so it was a better opportunity to practice - except I forgot to take my food ;-( 80 miles on the bike seems to be the point where I start wanting something "real" with some cold water, and I can't handle sports drinks or gels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goal-finish Oceanside (not get pulled off course for not making time cutoffs)
So I finished, swim & bike were both 10 minutes each faster than last year + earlier wave=finish!!! time 8:47. Still working on race report.
This week- (the district I work in is on spring break this week, perfect for recovery)
Mon-I finished Oceanside Ironman 70.3 so where else should I go but Disneyland, or maybe CA Adventure (benefits of living in Anaheim and being an annual pass holder) will probably just go for a few hours.
Tues- Yoga
Wed/Thurs- Back down to San Diego for a trip to the SD Zoo & Safari park with my mom and sis. (We're zoo members too.)
Fri-Sun--IDK???

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! PRed at O'side, almost didn't do it because I put so much pressure on myself to do so well. FINALLY, relaxed the day before the race had a GREAT time and beat my time last year by 46:31! I can handle that. I NEED to learn to pee on the bike and not fling my only water bottle left into the ditch,those two stops cost me around 8 min...ughhhh. Rested/Recovered yesterday, ate crap for two days, now back to training - St.George is in 5 weeks! YIKES!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? APRIL FOOL's DAY edition [kmh1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was checking in on your race during the day and freaked a little when I saw the swim time. I'm glad it hadn't been adjusted! Congrats on kicking ass!

I had a meltdown week. I had put a lot of focus into the half marathon last Sunday and when I woke up Monday I felt like crap. I'm not sure whether it was a minor cold or major allergies but I took Mon - Wed off and started back in on Thursday.

Very rough run Thursday. Friday was a track workout that was a nice break from the usual. Went to the local high school and it was pretty quiet when I first got there. I left early though because the boys soccer team started practice and they are pretty much everywhere and in the way. I need to plan that a bit better. I'd never been there before so the change was good.

Saturday was a double run day. Ran from my apt up to the track where I ran on Friday. Monster 1.5 miles uphill then big downhill. Gave me quite a workout. Did a short run in the evening even though I was wiped out. I probably should have skipped it.

Sunday was a bit of a mess. I had a 2.5 hour run on the schedule with some marathon pace work. I got about half way then my brain melted down. I didn't feel like running anymore. It was weird but I couldn't get my head into it. I ended up walking quite a bit. I ended up sitting down for a bit to collect my head and finish up the last couple miles. I walked more then ran some more. About 14 miles total in 3:15.

At least it was a nice day for it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great weeks everyone. Sorry for your week JenSW. Your body prob just needed a break. You're doing great and PRing. Take your time and feel better.

Last week's goals:

Swim 3-4 times - LOSE, only 2. I did a time trial on Tuesday and really managed to hurt my left shoulder. :(
Bike 2-3 times WIN, I got 3 in, all about an hour, I would have liked one longer one, but oh well.
5 runs w/ long run of 15-17 miles. WIN - 5 runs, long run of 17 w/ last 4 < MP. But not hilly - I would have liked a few hills.
3 core (one done) - LOSE - only one.

This weeks goals

Swim 3 times. No pull and no speed for another week to allow shoulder to feel better.
Bike 3 times - ok to do an hour each as this is a bit of a taper week
4-5 runs - long run only 10 miles
3-4 core

2 weeks out from marathon. All w/o done easy this week.

Happy training all!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? APRIL FOOL's DAY edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad, I didn't open the swim thread after Monday so the shoulder injury is news to me - so sorry!

I thought of the Boston womens when I was in the airport Saturday -I flew out of Logan - many of the shops had marathon stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty good week overall.
I was able to run 4mi, and then on Easter morning before services, got in my longest run since the injury - 5mi, and at a pace I was happy with to boot.
Sat. got in a nice outside ride with the husband...at times I wonder if he's trying to kill me with the pace but I have to remind myself that's the sort of thing that makes you a stronger rider.
swam once. I think I have resigned myself to swimming when I'm back home, maybe I'll get more motivated during the week when the outdoor pools open.
I know I got on the trainer a few times last week, and I got in one strength training session.
I was supposed to meet with a coach on Friday as part of my PT, but he no-showed...I had made the appointment directly with him and when I got to the facility, they called...finally when they heard back from him it was just that he wasn't coming, no apology or explanation. Later, that made me mad.

Also laid some tile in our bathroom - the shower surround - got about waist high on the walls. Otherwise we would likely have had a second outdoor bike ride. But, it's not going to tile itself.

But I'm happy about the running. 5mi without even an ache or a hint of the pain is a thing to be thankful for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jealous of your vacation and good job with eating! Keep it up and I'll look forward to hearing that you're past the 3 week mark next week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much. I'm sure I just tried too much too soon. I had my massage therapist work on it yesterday. I will try again in a few days.

Where'd you go on vacation? Home now?
Last edited by: nad: Apr 2, 13 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? APRIL FOOL's DAY edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jen,
I would say all of that is a pretty good sign that it's time for a cut back week and to re-evaluate your training plan. Think about it. If it's no longer fun, then something isn't right.

I suppose I'm a good example of the above. Goal was 20K meters of swimming this week. Managed to forget my bathing suit THREE times and to forget all the pools were closed on Easter Sunday. End results was only 14.5K meters. Decided to accept it as a sign i needed to cut back after a big jump in volume last week, and my longest swim of this year to date (6,400 scm).

Going to try to get back on track with 20K this week. Also working with PT to work in some easy bike and run.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? APRIL FOOL's DAY edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Where'd you go on vacation? Home now?

I went to my parents' house in Maine :-) I still call that home... I am back in Oregon now. It is going to be a really really busy semester. Aieee

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? APRIL FOOL's DAY edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm holding off on doing any intense races for a month or two. They really take it out of me mentally. I have a 4.5 mile trail race this weekend that I'm doing just for fun, no specific training or goal. It is at my favorite park and is called "Mud and Chocolate" so I couldn't pass it up.

Last night was a fun, social swim so that was a nice break.

Not every run will be fun. There will be better weeks than others. Overall I'm thrilled with my progress and don't want to come to a screeching halt so I let my mental focus go for a couple days then get back into it. The day to day work is what pays off, even if it isn't always fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:

Monday: Spin (win!)
Tuesday: 1/2 hour pt (win) + did additional strength exercises + my PT exercises
Wednesday: Spin
Win! Made it into a brick with a 1.5 mile run afterward - would have gone longer, but had to go back to work meetings :(
Thursday: Run 3-4 mi
FAIL. UGH:( Too freakd out with unpacking the house and packing for Oceanside
Friday: Be stuck in a car all day as we drive down to San Diego for my fiance's first half IM in Oceanside. Avoid junk food stops. Swim in pool at hotel.
Avoided junk food (yay for Subways all along I5) and couldn't swim... some kid poo'd in the pool so they closed it. Ew.
Saturday: Ride my bike around the course to cheer my fiance on. Swim in pool at hotel.
Spent appx. 5 hours walking around the course cheering like crazy. I was the one with the "Do or do not, there is no tri" and "Run so fast Kyle" signs. He finished and I am SO proud of him. Definitely decided to make a half IM my goal for end of next year.
Sunday: Spa time (I booked a massage for him and a massage-facial-mudwrap for me) and beach trip. Run on the sand.
SO EFFING SUNBURNED. Hurt to sleep on my sides. I'd sunblocked three times during the day and still got toasted. UGH. We partook of the hotel's Easter Brunch (bottomless mimosas? YES PLEASE!) and revelled in the spa time - Kyle was super-thankful for the massage I had booked for him, then spent time in the hot tub with the team.
Monday: Be stuck in car all day as we drive home. Avoid junk food stops.
Everything in moderation... including Taco Bell. Only gained 1 lb on vacation and the cats survived 4 days without us.

This week's goals:
1) Don't panic that my tri is RAPIDLY approaching
2) No, really. Don't panic.
3) Fine, panic, but don't let it interfere with sleep schedule.

Monday: Was stuck in car all day and wobbly-legged after
Tuesday: 45 min on my trainer tonight (now that we have them all set up in the new apt! SO Much more room for activities!
Wednesday: Spin class + 3 mile run (ie, 2/3 of my tri!)
Thursday: 30 min strength training, 30 min swim
Friday: spin class + 2 mile run
Saturday: Long bike ride
Sunday: Rest

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? APRIL FOOL's DAY edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love your goals for this week - they made me smile.

The tri will happen whether or not you panic, so definitely don't lose sleep about it. And you'll be proud of yourself afterwards & plotting how the next one will be better/different/faster.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? APRIL FOOL's DAY edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks :) I've been ramping up quickly and know I'll be able to finish - I just feel like I owe myself a decent finish at this point, so I know I need to work harder. I have one sprint tri a month this summer and am going to start working with my fiance's tri team, so I'll be getting more help. All the support from this forum has been huge in keeping me motivated, even when my work tries to demand all my time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? APRIL FOOL's DAY edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is this "Race day magic" thing where you'll get excited from the energy of being there and that will take care of some of the speed --> decent finish. And I think the first goal of any race is ALWAYS to finish, no matter what the distance and what the skill level.

Last edited by: tigerchik: Apr 2, 13 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job everyone! It is so encouraging to hear what everyone is up to.

I had a pretty good week but am still not riding the bike much. Can't get motivated to get on that trainer (did that for years and years when racing crits & track) and am a woosie in the cold. I would now rather go for a run than layer up and get on the bike.

This week was a bit of a taper week as I did my first standalone 5k! No biking or swimming before running, just warmup & go! The race was all of 4miles from my house in very familiar territory. I loved the freedom of being at a race with no toys to worry about!

Training last week leading into race:
Tues - swim 2000m, EZ 4mi trail run
Wednes - rollers for spin drills, endurance
Fri - swim 1200m, EZ 20min run w/striders
Sat - 5k race
Sun - 5mi hilly trail run at EZ tourist pace

Quick race report - started on an uphill, followed by a quick downhill. Was not sure where to start in pack, so went to middle on the far side. Big mistake. Lots of dodging around people in the first 1/2 mile until things opened up. Feeling pretty good and let the adrenaline take hold - started too fast with 8:15min for first mile. Have not run that fast this year. Paid for it by slowing to 8:45 for second mile. The last mile was hang on for dear life and the last half mile was all uphill. Have been running tempo on hills but not really prepared for race pace on hill after starting too fast. Finished just under 28min which was good enough for 5th in my age group and 20th female. Was hoping to do under 27min but I started too fast and that last 1/2mile was killer! Had mucho fun and am looking at another local 10k in a couple of weeks. Am happy with my performance given that I have only been dabbling in running over the last year or so, and could not run for a few months in the fall due to a really ugly ankle sprain. Now i just need to get biking and I'll be ready to rock my second tri season!

This week's goals:
Mon - off
Tues - swim (done!)
Wednes - swim & 5mi run with tempo efforts
Thurs - brick (ride/run)
Fri - swim
Sat - swim & brick (ride/run)
Sun - long trail run

Happy training & racing to all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen,
I'm with you on it's the day in/day out stuff that is the foundation of success, and I work really hard to frame that daily work as fun, not drudgery. I've come to this point in my life where time is too short to spend it unhappy and miserable.

Sure, there are days where the only thing to do is slog through it, especially coming back from injury, but even then I work to remind myself that I'm out here by choice--and it's wonderful to be here! If I hit a string of days when I just can't find any joy in the training, then that's a sure sign for me that I need to step back and look at what's going on--either in my training plan or in life outside it.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's those sessions - pool, bike or run - that are like slogging through jello that I tend to just repeat as much as necessary "this is training, this is what it's about, this is what gets you to finish lines, this is how it goes, this is what counts, this is the training." When it doesn't feel good, when it isn't necessarily fun - in that moment - that's EXACTLY when the work that needs to be done is being done. THOSE are the moments that we're preparing for when we get a flat, or when the wind or current picks up in the middle, or when something just isn't going right - we've put the mental "hay in the barn" so we know that if we got through workout x way back when....this is just another adjustment.

My cycling coach in college used to LOVE to take us on the hammer routes on the windiest days he could find. You know the routes - the ones that are always good for the self-confidence becuase you can ride them fast with your eyes shut? You know the hills & how to power up them or meter out your energy, you know the flats & where you can put in the good intervals....Those are the ones that he'd find a way to turn the wind around so we had a headwind BOTH ways, or we were in the rain & cold....he'd make us pull the line & sit behind us working on our form, reminding us to relax our shoulders, keep our backs flat, pedal all the way around, hold our lines, etc. Those were some of my favorite rides because THAT is what made the difference when things went NUTS during the races. So now, when I'm in a super windy race I always hear him behind me saying the little things, knowing that's the difference.

I'm proud you took the time to gather yourself & didn't give up. You've done SO MUCH GOOD in the past year, look at how you've progressed & everything you've fought through....to be able to snap the photo & keep slogging along and NOT beat yourself up about it too much but to just.keep.moving. Good job girlfriend, good friggin job.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job to everyone at oceanside.
TC - GREAT BIG HUGE congrats on the progress...three weeks is huge. Keep it up. I hope the streak is still going!! You've totally got this...

My week, per the usual right now, was kinda cruddy. I'm just trying to keep my head down & stay out of my own way. I've decided to cut myself some slack on the training schedules - the LAST thing I need right now is to be beating myself up (too) for something that I do for fun. If I don't feel like running - ok! I can only do so much & my mental health is FAR more important than pushing through a stupid run. I know exactly how this will all affect the half & full marathons I've got coming up (one this weekend...crap) so I'm just reassessing all of it. NO more self-loathing....who cares if I go REALLY slow...maybe i can enjoy the days more that way. I'm holding myself accountable on the swimming because I DO have the specific goals there. Swimming is the anti-running to me - there's no self-loathing or judgement. I may have a slightly off day or be battling some serious soreness but I can still do the work, I can still escape the judgement/pressure/unhappiness/chaos that exists outside the pool EVERY time I get in the water. I'm SERIOUSLY thankful for that escape & as a result swimming is my "wubbie"...it's my safe place, my bubble where I can leave all the other crap on dry land.

I traveled most of last week & had a GREAT new adventure in training with SWIM MAC Masters in Charlotte. Swam with them Tues & Thurs mornings & really enjoyed their workouts. The coaching staff is fun, the people were nice, the workouts were challenging & it was JUST what I needed. If anyone happens to travel through Charlotte, reach out & swim with them if you can. Super fun group with something for EVERYONE....Just gives me one more thing to look forward to when I have to travel over there.

This week - has started off like the others. Have a buncha stuff on my mind - dental work, family health concerns, job chaos, scheduling nightmares - that I'm just trying to keep my head down & move forward. I'd like to do more than walk by my bike in the dining room, but we'll see how I feel. Had a GREAT swim workout this morning - form felt good, shoulders (finally) didn't hurt, times were good....just a good, hard workout. Now it's off to the orthodontist and we'll see how the rest of the day/week goes.

Thinking of all you girls & using your good inspirations here....

AW
Quote Reply