Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope he weighs in on the legalization of weed.

"I'll take a Vente Chronic Blend with an extra shot of Gay."

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I hope he weighs in on the legalization of weed.

"I'll take a Vente Chronic Blend with an extra shot of Gay."

ill take two!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
It's easy to stand up for principles when they dovetail neatly with your business plan.

No doubt, and that applies to the CEOs of both Starbucks and Chick-fil-a. Regardless, in the Starbucks case it's nice to see him stand up for a good principle, regardless of how it matches his economic interests.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [Eppur si muove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eppur si muove wrote:
trail wrote:
It's easy to stand up for principles when they dovetail neatly with your business plan.

No doubt, and that applies to the CEOs of both Starbucks and Chick-fil-a. Regardless, in the Starbucks case it's nice to see him stand up for a good principle, regardless of how it matches his economic interests.

So - if I'm understanding you correctly - gays like terrible coffee, and anti-gays like terrible food.

Is it possible that Denny's is the key to peace between them?

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:
TashaSkippy wrote:
Love the Starbuck's CEO. He is also an advocate for following state laws regarding firearms. He gets flack from anti gunners because he says that if states allow citizens to carry, they are welcome at Starbucks. Drives the gun control proponents crazy when he tells them he won't post "no carry" signs in any of his retail locations.

Basically, it sounds like he pisses off anyone that has issues with personal freedoms. That is my kind of CEO.

Interestingly, (to me anyway) a large portion of the people who believe in the personal freedom that the 2nd amendment provides do not believe in gays should have the right to marry each other.

I am not sure that is really accurate. I, for one, believe in 2A and believe gays should have the right to marry. Off the top of my head, most of the individuals who jump into the 2A threads in support of firearms feel the same way.

Also, you are comparing apples to oranges. The Constitution specifically delineates the right to bear arms. It says nothing about marriage. Of course, people like me argue that the 14th prohibits discrimination b/t same and opposite sex marriage. But, marriage itself is not a specific right set forth in the Constitution.

You may be right, I think that I was not up to date on how support for gay marriage has grown in the US. 49% today compared to 32% in 2003. Please don't ask for links, I am a lazy, lazy man.

Question... do your courts not have the right to rule on what is meant by the Constitution? For example... Canadian courts ruled that section 15 of the Charter of RIghts and Freedoms

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

while not specifically mentioning sexual orientation it includes it in the spirit of the law. This ruling has lead to other judges confirming that banning same sex marriages goes against the Charter.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have two gay marriage cases before the US Supreme Court right now. So, yes.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Eppur si muove wrote:
trail wrote:

So - if I'm understanding you correctly - gays like terrible coffee, and anti-gays like terrible food.

Is it possible that Denny's is the key to peace between them?

As long as nobody is black.
http://www.complaints.com/...t_Denny_s_207318.htm

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are comparing this to the stand taken by the Chick-fil-a CEO, but is there a difference? I think the Chick-Fil-a CEO's stand was done as a private person, not as the CEO of a a company. Where as the article said Starbucks came out in favor of some law.

Should companies be campaigning for laws that don't effect their operations? I'm ok with a company lobbying for various work practice reforms, health insurance issues, etc, but I really don't like to see companies spending their resources on social issues. Just because this issue is one that you may agree with, what if if it was one you did not agree with, would you still be happy about a company using resources for social issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Should companies be campaigning for laws that don't effect their operations? "

I'm not sure how ethical it is for companies to endorse laws on social issues not related to their bottom line. Unless the CEO has sent out some sort of shareholder survey asking for a vote on the issue, it's a bit disingenuous to endorse an issue on behalf of all those shareholders. Just because they invest in your coffee company doesn't mean they agree with the CEO's personal opinions on gay marriage, for instance. That said, if the CEO pisses off enough shareholders, they'll get rid of him.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
That said, if the CEO pisses off enough shareholders, they'll get rid of him.

regardless if they agree with him or not, i doubt they will be quick to kick the guy out when they are getting a 38% return on their investment.

and besides, they voted to approve him to make political contributions on social issues. they clearly dont have a problem with it.

The shareholder made his remark after the board was given approval by a vote to make political contributions, with board members saying they wanted flexibility to promote the company’s policy agenda.

But after Mr Strobhar suggested the measure decreased the company’s value, Mr Schultz’s response was vitriolic – and was met with raucous applause.

i think his job is safe.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last I heard the number was 58% in favor of gay marriage and rising.

CEOs have endorsed social issues for quite a while. Starbucks has been granting domestic partners medical coverage for several years now. Several large local companies have. His position isn't anything new, it has been widely known and part of the company's core values. If, as a shareholder or employee you don't read them, that is your problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
"
Should companies be campaigning for laws that don't effect their operations? "

I'm not sure how ethical it is for companies to endorse laws on social issues not related to their bottom line. Unless the CEO has sent out some sort of shareholder survey asking for a vote on the issue, it's a bit disingenuous to endorse an issue on behalf of all those shareholders. Just because they invest in your coffee company doesn't mean they agree with the CEO's personal opinions on gay marriage, for instance. That said, if the CEO pisses off enough shareholders, they'll get rid of him.

As the CEO said, "feel free to sell your shares and invest in another company." <-- that may be paraphrased.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
People are comparing this to the stand taken by the Chick-fil-a CEO, but is there a difference? I think the Chick-Fil-a CEO's stand was done as a private person, not as the CEO of a a company. Where as the article said Starbucks came out in favor of some law.

Should companies be campaigning for laws that don't effect their operations? I'm ok with a company lobbying for various work practice reforms, health insurance issues, etc, but I really don't like to see companies spending their resources on social issues. Just because this issue is one that you may agree with, what if if it was one you did not agree with, would you still be happy about a company using resources for social issues?

If I'm not a shareholder I don't care. If I am, I may have a good look if those "resources being used for social issues" will lead to increased shareholder value. In Starbucks' case, this may well be the case; as mentioned above it is very likely that the core of sbux customer base looks favorably at this standpoint, so it may well lead to more coffee sold.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"i think his job is safe. "

I don't disagree. My comments were intended to be more in general, than specific to this case.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
trail wrote:
Gays love a nice, clean coffee shop! Sounds like a stereotype, but I've lived in San Francisco, Seattle, and Hillcrest here in San Diego. I know what I'm talking about.

OMG. Am I gay because I too love a nice clean food service business?

I too love a clean well lit place...with coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right about the chicken/coffee difference.

To the rest of your points, I think companies/CEOs/employees can say whatever they want, in whatever capacity they choose and be willing to suffer the consequences (or reap the rewards) as they happen. Or they can keep their mouths shut.

I disagree with chicken dude's stance on SSM but it didn't affect whether or not I'm going to eat at chick-full-gay. I've never eaten there, but it has nothing to do gay marriage.

I think it's risky to tell shareholders to "take their money elsewhere" but, Starbucks has the advantage of selling an addictive product. They will be fine.

They might lose some constomers in Spokane but I'm sure it will be offset in Hillcrest.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
trail wrote:
Gays love a nice, clean coffee shop! Sounds like a stereotype, but I've lived in San Francisco, Seattle, and Hillcrest here in San Diego. I know what I'm talking about.

OMG. Am I gay because I too love a nice clean food service business?

no, hickory, youre gay because you clearly love hard wood.

I'm straight as an arrow, but I love hard wood too. Just the other day, I sat on some hard wood for several hours and it was quite pleasurable. Everyone should own a cherry rocker ...

So that's what you call it when you're getting your cherry rocked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
People are comparing this to the stand taken by the Chick-fil-a CEO, but is there a difference? I think the Chick-Fil-a CEO's stand was done as a private person, not as the CEO of a a company.

You are mistaken. This persistent myth has continued to go around the LR, despite links to news reports to the contrary. Chick-Fil-a's "stand" was realized through funds given by the company itself to anti-SSM groups.

In my personal opinion, Chick-Fil-A has a right to do this, just as some of the rest of us have a right to criticize the company for its stand and actions. But whatever one thinks about that, it wasn't just a personal stand by the CEO.

-----

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
"
Should companies be campaigning for laws that don't effect their operations? "

As the CEO said, "feel free to sell your shares and invest in another company." <-- that may be paraphrased.

I think there's a fiduciary obligation to shareholders to maximize profits, either in the short or long run. A CEO (or Board) cannot simply avoid or discharge that fiduciary duty by telling shareholders to invest elsewhere if they don't like it. At a minimum, corporate donations to social or policial causes still should not conflict with that obligation. (I'm not making a comment about Starbucks, as it very well may be that their donations are in line with miaximizing profits.)
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that's entirely true, since some companies market their stock specifically on the premise that they are "socially responsible" companies--meaning that they don't just look to the financial bottom line, but consider other objectives as well, in line with their investors' expectations.

-----

Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
It's easy to stand up for principles when they dovetail neatly with your business plan. Given Starbucks' demographics and branding (which existed long before this issue), it's kind of a no-brainer to market to gays. Gays love a nice, clean coffee shop! Sounds like a stereotype, but I've lived in San Francisco, Seattle, and Hillcrest here in San Diego. I know what I'm talking about.

I didn't know you were gay. ; ^ )

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Yes, I suppose you could...

*Change* Imagine that, a CEO that stands up for what is right.

And no I will not agree that Chick-fil-A CEO is standing up for what is right.

No true Scotsman would be against gay marriage, anyway.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [Eppur si muove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eppur si muove wrote:
I don't think that's entirely true, since some companies market their stock specifically on the premise that they are "socially responsible" companies--meaning that they don't just look to the financial bottom line, but consider other objectives as well, in line with their investors' expectations.

Patagonia is a perfect example of this. They explicitly advocate for (or against) specific environmental policies, projects, etc. Their stances on issues are right there in their clothing catalogs.

They also make very good products.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They also recognize the benefit to their current and future employees.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>They also recognize the benefit to their current and future employees.

Right, to continue with my blatant stereotyping - judge the average gayness of male baristas. I'm guessing the percentage is quite a bit higher than the general population.
Quote Reply

Prev Next