Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody here ride a folding bike?
Quote | Reply
Anybody here ride a folding bike? Not for racing necessarily, but for other things. Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here ride a folding bike? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Define 'folding'...

I ride a Ritchey Breakaway as my road bike, exclusively. Love it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my friends is living in Holland right now and she has a folding bike. It doesn't look to stable to me, but she just uses it for light commuting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a steel road bike with SS couplers that I use for travel and off season. I love it and have used it for races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one. Don't ride it as often as I used to.
It's a dahon. 20" wheels. good little climber, but on flats or downhills its quite slow.
took it on a 30+ mile ride this summer. kinda regretted that. wasn't easy.
It's a good bike for some purposes though. it's a great bike-there, get-a-ride-back bike. or for short commutes where you'll be able to bring your bike inside. i don't ride it through the 'hood, though. it's both flashy and slow.

last thing i expected when i bought it, but it's kind of a chick magnet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife bought a Dahon MU SL last summer. The bike weighs 19 pounds and it is a great ride. The steering is quicker than a road bike due to the 20" wheels and the upright handle bar, but the bike rides very nicely. Her bike has Sram X 7 shifters and an X 9 RD. It takes about fifteen seconds to fold and open. It's an awesome commuter. Just as with other types of bikes, there are less expensive models that weigh more and have lesser components. I tried out some of those. They actually rode nicely, but they were about 25 pounds or more.

This is her bike.

http://www.dahon.com/bikes/2010/mu-sl

The Hon family apparently had a business disagreement and one of the sons has started his own company building folding bikes.

http://www.ternbicycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife just got a Reach Racing folding bike.
It does not fold in seconds (15 minutes) but it does fit in a regular size suitcase for people who travel a lot...

Its only 1 of the only fold bike you can actually race on by adding a few components (i.e clip on bars etc...)

So far so good, she only got 1 ride on it but really enjoyed how it feels.

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here ride a folding bike? [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old thread, but I thought I would post my latest build, a home brew folding race bike based on a Dahon Cadenza MTB frame:

Finished yesterday.
The bike handles a little strangely & doesn´t feel particularly great climbing out of the saddle but other than that it´s OK.
I need to swap the 45 front single for a 50/34 and a different cassette, at the moment it´s very undergeared.

There is a front mech already on there as a chain catcher so I will rig this with a bar end shifter, I think.

Tektro V-brake levers and a Kinesis fork:

SLX 10-speed drivetrain:

Fits nicely in the back of my Vectra. Removing bars & seatpost obviously makes for a much smaller fold.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Brompton. Perfect for traveling as it can fit into the standard linear 62" airline checked luggage requirement without disassembly. Can be taken into restaurants, used as a shopping cart, folds and unfolds in about a 30 seconds. Also locks when folded making for an easy carry on and off subway stops. Used it a lot when I was traveling back and forth between Asia and the US. Allowed me to get some saddle time no matter where I was. Rides fairly true although the 16 in wheels can take some getting use to. Have logged 50 mile days on multiple trips or have just gone from the hotel to the office on other trips. Been well worth it for me. Here is one of many interesting write-ups:

http://pathlesspedaled.com/...h-of-loaded-touring/
Quote Reply