Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 101 vs ksyrium sls vs cosmic carbone
Quote | Reply
I have a set of mavic cosmic carbones on my road bike now but also getting 404s for my tri bike. Figuring I don't need 2 sets of deep carbon wheels, which set would anyone recommend? I'm looking at the zipp 101 or the ksyrium sls. The 101s are 1500g ish and are supposed to be as fast the cosmic carbones but lighter, climb better and be faster in the wind. The ksyrium sls are 1395g, def not as aero but I've read they climb incredible and are bombproof.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101 vs ksyrium sls vs cosmic carbone [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for training?
something cheaper than all of those

for racing? put the 404s on the road bike too =)

But definitely the 101s ahead of the ksyrium. The 101s are legit aero.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101 vs ksyrium sls vs cosmic carbone [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly just training. I'll rock the 404s in road races. I know I can go cheap training wheels but I like riding nice stuff. The ksyriums get my attention due to weight and the nice white spoke and hubs which match my blue ac1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101 vs ksyrium sls vs cosmic carbone [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it's common knowledge that %80 of going fast is looking good. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never owned a Mavic wheelset (I've had +10 sets) that was within +5% of the advertised weight, just FYI. Always more. They are however bomb proof. If you want to ride fast go 101. If you want to look fast, Mavic is the way to go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a set of Easton EA50 Aero wheels for training. Most importantly, they look cool. Also, they're round, will get me where I want to go, and can easily be trued & serviced. They're probably 'heavy' but for training wheels, that's even better!

I don't understand spendy training wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101 vs ksyrium sls vs cosmic carbone [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually had Easton ea90 aeros on my cervelo s2( again because the matched really well). They make a great wheel. I'm able to get either the ksyriums or zipps at employee purchase price thanks to the shop I ride for so I'm not spending a grand on wheels. I really enjoy riding nice bikes so I'm ok with spending some cash to get something I like. Everyone has their thing, some guys it's cars, me it's bike stuff. At least my spending habit is a healthy one :).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 404s will be the fastest road racing wheels of those three. Get some latex tubes and race rubber for those.

For training, either use the Carbones (they are bombproof), or sell the carbones, buy cheap training wheels (use the $$ for a disc).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101 vs ksyrium sls vs cosmic carbone [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure the 404s for racing. Disc cover on the rear so I don't need a disc. I like the carbones because they look great and are fast but they're noticeably heavy going up hill. Since I really just ride the road bike for climbing routes, group rides I was thinking of going with a good climber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding the Kysriums SLSs on my road bike and really like them: very stiff, great braking, perfectly true so far. I actually climb a lot on my tri bike, complete with 808s, but there are windy days when I affirmatively don't want anything aero (much less a pair of 808s), and am happy to have the road bike with its non-aero wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How wide are the Kysirum SL's?

I ride Enve 3.4s or 6.7s as race wheels, and specifically looked for a wide rim when it came to training wheels. The Zipp 101s have fit the bill nicely. They really ride well and are decently aero. I'm only 170 pounds and not particularly tough on equipment, but I went ahead and had mine built 20/24 on Alchemy ELF hubs. Super bombproof build. Rode them recently on about 11 miles of rocky, rutted-out fire road when the local group ride decided to go "LA Roubaix" style: No issues.

Why match wide racing wheels with wide training wheels? Because I can very easily swap brake pads (from carbon to aluminum compounds) and not even have to adjust the calipers when making the swap. Sure you could adjust cable tension to adjust to a narrow training rim, but then there is a good chance that your brake pad won't get good contact with the narrow rim, since it will have worn in at an angle suited for the wide rim. Keeping rim width relatively equal solves this (I'm assuming your 404s are FC and not the older, narrower rims).

So I would probably go with the 101s.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Feb 25, 13 15:44
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 101 vs ksyrium sls vs cosmic carbone [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just run a pair of 404 clinchers for everything. Run 25c when training, then run 23 or 21c for race day. They are plenty durable for pretty much any condition.

Quote | Reply
S2ipp wrote:
Just run a pair of 404 clinchers for everything. Run 25c when training, then run 23 or 21c for race day. They are plenty durable for pretty much any condition.

This is a good idea as well. Just make sure that your bike will take 25c tires on wide rims. I wanted to use 25c GP4000S tires with my R5, but when mounted on the 101 rims, the tire is wide enough that if I really stomp out of the saddle, I can get the tire to rub the seatstay. So I am back to 23c tires, even on the R5.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adktriguy46 wrote:
Mostly just training. I'll rock the 404s in road races. I know I can go cheap training wheels but I like riding nice stuff. The ksyriums get my attention due to weight and the nice white spoke and hubs which match my blue ac1

The zipps are the only ones on that list that actually have quality hubs. I've killed a few sets of mavic hubs, they simply are not built to last. I personally wouldn't use 101s for training, too much risk of smoking one on a pothole and being out a pricey rim.

Find a good wheelbuilder and get a set of kinlins, stan's alphas or HED ardennes rims built up around some White T11s, DT 240s or Chris Kings. When you eventually wear out the rims you can rebuild around the quality hubs at low cost. And they'll roll better than any ksyriums, be more durable than any zipps, and be lighter than any cosmics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call on checking the frame to take a 25c.

I know of a guy that's running 25c's (not sure of the tire brand) on his R5. Seems to fit fine for him. I'll have to check his frame the next time I see him.

Quote | Reply
It was just a little too tight for me -most of the time OK but I could get rubbing at >1000W. I have a feeling that with "normal" width rims I would have been OK. I'm curious what rim/tire combo he uses.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's on a pair of Aksiums...I'm pretty sure of that. Come to think of it...he did show me some "mystery" rub marks on his right side seat stay by the brake mount. Could be the tire making contact.