Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
shirtless wonder - on, or off??
Quote | Reply
Last summer I joined a co-ed running group for weekly coached track workouts. Our coach is awesome and she has attracted a very loyal group that won't miss those hurtfests for anything.

Unfortunately one of the guys who joined loves himself just a little too much and always takes his shirt off during the workouts - it's not because he's overheating, it's to show off, plain and simple. I am no prude but I am deeply offended by his presumption that we all want to see more of him than we have to. Other women commented on his shirtlessness and were not impressed by his behaviour or by his physique.

It just seems to me that in mixed company, and especially with people one doesn't know very well, this is something that is best done in the presence of close/actual friends while out drinking beer on a boat.

I asked one of the other guys what he thought, and he agreed with me. Going shirtless in a mixed group is tacky. Now that the track workouts are getting set to go for another season I wonder if I should say anything to the coach or directly to the shirtless wonder? Everyone is too nice to say anything but I have a big mouth so I will probably say something eventually. Another season of averting my eyes will be tiresome.
Quote Reply
Re: shirtless wonder - on, or off?? [cjdavids] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking strictly as a coach I'd want to know if one of my athletes was feeling uncomfortable or put off, and it sounds like there is more than one of you who is. It also means there might be a risk of you not coming back which is something no coach wants. Yes, it is totally tacky and if talking to the coach does nothing then a loud man boob comment in front of the group will probably make him put it back on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's some things to think about:

I would not want anyone telling me what to wear or how to dress for a workout--unless I sought out such advice. After all, someone could end up telling me to stop prancing about and wear longer shorts because I have chunky thighs. ;-)

Is it being shirtless that bothers you, or your perception that the guy is full of himself? If it's the later (and your holding onto this for the whole winter off season, along with you "shirtless wonder" phrase leads me to wonder about this), this is probably not the only annoying thing he does. Either way, let it go and focus on getting a good workout in.

The only situation in which I would speak up about it is if it's inappropriately sexual. If taking the shirt off is the prelude to or part of a larger pattern of behavior that makes you and/or other women feel uncomfortable (eg, because boundaries are being violated), then as a group you should speak with the coach and get some ground rules set.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to come off as being mean but why ask for opinions? If you and possibly others are offended, why not say any something to the offender? Let the guy know how you feel and don't get others involved.

Quote | Reply
We used to have a guy in our co-ed swim group that always wore an ancient speedo that he must have owned since the 1970's. The chlorine had eaten this suit so bad that it was practically transparent and had no stretch left in the material. Left absolutely nothing to the imagination. Our swim group took up a collection and we bought him a brand new speedo. He took the hint and never wore the old one after that. LOL!!

If you're all so bothered by a bare male chest then why not just take up a collection and buy him a shirt. He'll get the hint.
Quote Reply
Re: shirtless wonder - on, or off?? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
We used to have a guy in our co-ed swim group that always wore an ancient speedo that he must have owned since the 1970's. The chlorine had eaten this suit so bad that it was practically transparent and had no stretch left in the material. Left absolutely nothing to the imagination. Our swim group took up a collection and we bought him a brand new speedo. He took the hint and never wore the old one after that. LOL!!

If you're all so bothered by a bare male chest then why not just take up a collection and buy him a shirt. He'll get the hint.

Hmmm...there are a few folks at the pool for whom a new speedo collection could be taken up, now that you mention it....

Mr. Shirtless shows up to the workouts wearing an appropriate workout shirt, then takes it off 5 minutes into the warmup and carries it around with him.
Perhaps we just need to show him how to put it back on!
Quote Reply
Re: shirtless wonder - on, or off?? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree-don't understand why this is bothering you so much well into the winter...how do you know his motivation? maybe he just likes to run like that...but I don't get how this affects YOU unless as said, he is making overtly sexual comments/innuendos/talking about shirtless self or otherwise being creepy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see the big deal. Do the women run in just a sports bra? If so, then it really isn't any different. In the warm spring/fall months and during the hot summers I always run in just a sports bra and shorts - weather I'm running alone or with a group. I tend to run in what many would consider skimpy running shorts too because they are comfortable to me to run in. I have never thought this as being offensive. Same thing with a man, I have no problem if he's running shirtless, especially when it's hot or during a track workout. Since during a track workout when even if the temps aren't really hot you are generally working really hard and get hot. To me, doing a track workout with less clothes is more comfortable. If he is being sexual about it then that is an entirely different issue. You may think he is impressed with himself but he may really just be trying to stay comfortable during the workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a runner/been around runners my entire life, and have never thought twice about folks taking their shirts off during a workout. Sure, some people do it for attention/to show off, but others don't...and I don't really care, either way. Don't find it unusual at all.

Do these people get offended by dudes and chicks running on shared-use paths (which are, last I checked, co-ed)?

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the weather starts warming up, I prefer to run shirtless. I do so whether I'm running with others or, more often, alone. It's not to impress anyone, it's just more comfortable. In fact a lot of women I know will run in just a jog bra.
Quote Reply
Re: shirtless wonder - on, or off?? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmrocker13 wrote:
I've been a runner/been around runners my entire life, and have never thought twice about folks taking their shirts off during a workout. Sure, some people do it for attention/to show off, but others don't...and I don't really care, either way. Don't find it unusual at all.

Do these people get offended by dudes and chicks running on shared-use paths (which are, last I checked, co-ed)?

Perhaps he was inspired by this? http://runningshirtless.blogspot.ca/

Running shirtless on one's own is not what I take issue with, it's when he's in a formal co-ed workout setting with people who are strangers that I feel is disrespectful. (No one else in the group doffs their shirts). And his obvious "look at me!" reasons for doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can one of the long-time members kick his ass on the track then tell him what's up? There's nothing more humbling than someone schooling you, then telling you your attire is inappropriate. He'll figure it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s all about the situation ...
Showing up to the track to train with Pros or FOP’s ... anything goes.
If you are heading to a coed workout with varying abilities and varying ages ... Shirtless Wonder should be cognizant that going Shirtless may make others feel uncomfortable.
There is no right or wrong ... there is only appropriateness for each specific situation.
And in the OP scenario ... going shirtless seems to be inappropriate given the audience.
Quote Reply
Re: shirtless wonder - on, or off?? [SuperMegaWatts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperMegaWatts wrote:
Showing up to the track to train with Pros or FOP’s ... anything goes.
If you are heading to a coed workout with varying abilities and varying ages ... Shirtless Wonder should be cognizant that going Shirtless may make others feel uncomfortable.

I must have missed a memo - when exactly did running speed start to impact perception of acceptable attire? Can you cite a 5k time when it's appropriate to go completely nude in public?

I honestly wouldn't care if someone chose to run shirtless, unless they threw the shirt they'd taken off at me or came over to smear their sweaty skin all over me.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Sub 15 ... But you prob don't need to worry bout that ... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: shirtless wonder - on, or off?? [SuperMegaWatts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who cares what shirtless man is wearing? Not trying to be a jerk, but just avert your eyes. Now, as the PP said, if he starts rubbing against you, different story, but this sounds like a case for MYOB.

Maybe his nipples or underarms chafe and that is why he removes his shirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjdavids wrote:
I am no prude but I am deeply offended by his presumption that we all want to see more of him than we have to.

You were "deeply offended"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjdavids wrote:
mmrocker13 wrote:

Running shirtless on one's own is not what I take issue with, it's when he's in a formal co-ed workout setting with people who are strangers that I feel is disrespectful. (No one else in the group doffs their shirts). And his obvious "look at me!" reasons for doing it.

It seems like it's the dude's personality that folks are offended by--not his choice of workout wear. And what happens this summer when someone decides they're hot, and runs in a sportbra--someone who ISN'T a douchecanoe? Or when you're doing your warm-up and pass someone running shirtless? Or when the other local track club in town shows up to share the track and they're wearing shorts only?

If he's running around shirtless to get your attention, guess what? He wins at that game.

I have to admit...I kind of want to show up to the workout and run around shirtless now, just to bug people. :D (I run shirtless all the time, weather permitting. And I always have. Races, club workouts, with people, without people, friends and family. Like I said, I've never heard of anyone objecting to shirtless runners in group settings. I've heard some folks say "I don't want MY navel/nipples/sasquatch back hair exposed to others..." but they don't care about what other people are doing with their own man-boobs.)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: shirtless wonder - on, or off?? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmrocker13 wrote:
cjdavids wrote:
mmrocker13 wrote:

It seems like it's the dude's personality that folks are offended by--not his choice of workout wear. And what happens this summer when someone decides they're hot, and runs in a sportbra--someone who ISN'T a douchecanoe? Or when you're doing your warm-up and pass someone running shirtless? Or when the other local track club in town shows up to share the track and they're wearing shorts only?

If he's running around shirtless to get your attention, guess what? He wins at that game.

I have to admit...I kind of want to show up to the workout and run around shirtless now, just to bug people. :D (I run shirtless all the time, weather permitting. And I always have. Races, club workouts, with people, without people, friends and family. Like I said, I've never heard of anyone objecting to shirtless runners in group settings. I've heard some folks say "I don't want MY navel/nipples/sasquatch back hair exposed to others..." but they don't care about what other people are doing with their own man-boobs.)

Well you do have a point, he is winning at the attention-getting game! I think it's his need to keep stroking himself that is the most annoying part, as if to remind all who are present how mega-awesome he looks (in his own mind, that is). However, once I start running faster than him then I won't need to look at him at all! :-)))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's his need to keep stroking himself that is the most annoying part, as if to remind all who are present how mega-awesome he looks (in his own mind, that is).

Aside from not wearing a shirt, is he doing something to suggest this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He would probably still be an asshat even if he kept his shirt on. There is a guy who races alot of our local races that can't seem to race with a shirt. No matter the season when the gun goes off so does his shirt. Then after the race he walks around among the masses shirtless. Most people laugh and joke about him. Come on "shirt up"!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I am no prude"

"Another season of averting my eyes will be tiresome"

Are you sure that you are not a prude? What do you do at the beach?

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: shirtless wonder - on, or off?? [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
"I am no prude"

"Another season of averting my eyes will be tiresome"

Are you sure that you are not a prude? What do you do at the beach?

I wear a wetsuit and dark goggles.... ;-)))
Quote Reply
Re: shirtless wonder - on, or off?? [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know...I think you are a prude. But ask around, there might be others that are also deeply offended and maybe they are deeply offended you wear shorts and don't wear a burka when running. You'll get a conversation started and either see how you're in the minority (my guess) or everyone in your community has gone off the deep end lives in the 19th century US or modern day Afghanistan.
Quote Reply
Re: shirtless wonder - on, or off?? [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
He would probably still be an asshat even if he kept his shirt on. There is a guy who races alot of our local races that can't seem to race with a shirt. No matter the season when the gun goes off so does his shirt. Then after the race he walks around among the masses shirtless. Most people laugh and joke about him. Come on "shirt up"!

Yeah, it's probably his personality in general that offends me, and his propensity for baring as much as possible in mixed company is just the icing on the cake.

However, after gaining new insights from the varied comments from everyone I've decided to stop being "deeply offended" and just be "mildly amused".

Luckily where I live the summers are short and so is his shirtlessness! Thank goodness for small mercies. :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next