Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rudy Project Wingspan Visor
Quote | Reply
Nibali had what appears to be visor on his Wingspan helmet.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...tage-7/photos/212285
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [jotate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Last edited by: Livetotri: Mar 13, 12 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is this available to the public or was it homemade?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping to see if anyone has made or used a visor from another helmet? My glasses do not fit well with the RP Wingspan and I'd rather not spend money on more glasses if I don't need to.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere that Matt Russell clear packing taped some visors on his Rudy. Looks super clean, but I don't recall the exact lenses he used.
Edit: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_Russell__3308.html

Alex Arman

Strava
Last edited by: doublea334: Feb 21, 13 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I'm no expert and wouldn't want to argue with Mr Nibali who clearly knows his craft, but didn't I read something in the Rudy paperwork or a review or on here even saying that the design intentionally has airflow through the helmet, between the gaps by the ears or summat. Wouldn't want to argue with Mr Cobb, either. Doesn't the visor stop that working properly?
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh aye, it was this bit..

Why has the Wingspan been designed to have a small gap between the rider’s ears and the helmet’s ear covers?

The gap at the bottom of the ears was specifically designed to help with our goal of making a helmet that would work well with any shape shoulder or back. During earlier development, I used a Helium Bubble generator to study the flow characteristics around the cheekbones and jaw lines of many riders. This area is always problematic and effects how sunglasses fit, chin straps flow and how air will flow around the neck. A Helium Bubble generator makes very small bubbles that reflect light very well, this is used so you can see small directional changes at low wind speeds. The bottom 20mm of the helmet has a defined curve that pulls the air in around the neck, this acclerates the air down the back for riders with more rounded shoulders. The width over the upper ears is used to shield the shoulders of riders that have "square" type shoulders. This frontal gap is also aligned with the lower rear vents to help increase ventilation by pulling air off the front of the face. This area is one of the reasons that a face shield was not required, we achieved better ventilation by managing facial airflow. At the leading edge of the helmet, just above the riders eyes, there are two defined channels inside the helmet. These further guide the air off the face and help control sweat getting into the riders eyes.

http://www.rudyproject.com/products/helmets/wingspan/black-white/unisize.html
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that, trying to figure out what lens that is.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks to me like the Louis Garneau Lens. I've got the reddish one on my Rocket Air. The hole/slot on the side, as well as the nosepiece and overall shape look consistent with what I've got.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree its the closest one I've found, but I haven't seen an exact match. I might just try it out anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So does Sarah Haskins. Rudy project has said on more than on occasion that there not realizing a visor because they don't have a version that is aerodynamic
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [jaelinfunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaelinfunk wrote:
So does Sarah Haskins. Rudy project has said on more than on occasion that there not realizing a visor because they don't have a version that is aerodynamic

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Autocorrect. Realizing was supposed to be releasing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talked to some Rudy guys at the Tour de Palm Springs and they said tne new helmet, slated for release in or before Kona, will have a visor. Seems to me that they might want to release for the TDF. There is no current visor option...
D

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Rudy Project did sell kne I'm surenit would be on backorder for almost 5mos like the helmet. Still waiting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just yanking your chain. Visors are tricky....you really have to go to the wind tunnel to find out whether a given helmet/rider combo is faster with or without a visor. I saved 1W on my LG Rocket, but as with all rider-specific WT results YMMV.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will they be changing the design/shape of the Wingspan? I thought J. Cobb said adding a visor would add drag? Then again it's good to have options for people such as the Giro attack where you can get it without or with visor.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to say he said there were changes in the helmet as well but don't quote me on that..... :)

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've installed a significant number of Garneau visors on Wingspan's of sponsored triathletes and cyclists. I agree with the assertion that a visor in and of itself may not decrease the drag of a helmet. However, what we are looking for when installing a visor is if it allows the athlete to hold their head in a more aerodynamic positon while still maintaining safe visibility. In many instances, we find that field and range of vision is increased with the use of a visor - even with the athlete's head in a lower releative positon.

Too many times a product is evaluated for just the aerodynamic advantage that it may have on its own. What really needs to be considered are what other changes in the athlete/bike system may occur when the new/modified product is added. Sometimes performance advantages are not just "plug and play".

Joe Santos

Joe Santos

Davis Wheelworks | dW² Facebook | dW² Twitter

BMC | Boardman | Cervélo | Felt | Lapierre | Atomic High Performance | ENVE | HED. | SRM | Stages | Zipp
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wingspan Visor [Joe Santos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. This is what I'm mainly concerned about. Last season I was forced to hold my head up a little higher than I wanted to because my glasses would slip. I would try without the glasses but my bare eyeballs are apparently a magnet for small bugs. Time for a 6 pack and some tinkering.
Quote Reply