Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel
Quote | Reply
I have a hard time stomaching a lot of sweetness after 3 hours on the bike. I have an InfiniT blend that I like with the sweetness dialed way back, but I was looking for some other suggestions for low sweet fuel. Preferrably easily digestible solids (not liquid) like gels, bars, or something of that nature. This is for cycling.

I know the Allen Lim program is all the rage, but time is already limited and realistically I am looking for something I can buy, not make.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [slimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baked potato wedges with a little salt is nice. I don't personally use it on a regular basis but I have some training partners who do, so I've tried it a few times. Really nice break from all the sugary stuff.

Can't think of too much store bought stuff that isn't sweet. I like fig bars (Fig Newtons, Fig Newmans, etc). Not super sweet and really portable.
Last edited by: apbadger: Feb 19, 13 6:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about Larabars? All natural ingredients and such, still carb heavy...I find them easy on my stomach, but to each his own.

I love the taste of the coconut ones, no affiliation beyond that.

Go Cyclones! In Hoc Signo Vinces. Twitter @Cise_Smash
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [thepaul500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I do like those. Bonkbreakers too. A little rough on digestion and convenience at race pace, but good for training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as drinks go, Hammer products tend to be less sweet (I think it's one of theirs selling points.) It's still a 'sweet' product, as opposed to baked potato wedges as suggested by another poster, but it's not as sweet as other drink mixes.

As always, YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Metaballs (http://www.metaballnutrition.com/). The ones without chocolate aren't all that sweet and are a nice break from the nasty sweetness of gels. I do have a bit of trouble digesting them at race pace though.
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [keithtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when I first read it I read "meatballs" and I thought "damn, I can think of hundreds of rides where a good, salty, saucy meatball would have hit the spot". I can't tell you how many pieces of gas station pizza I've eaten when I get the savory craving at the end of a long ride.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that you say it, I agree that I could go for a good meatball in the middle of some of my rides. Just make sure you wrap it up really well!
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [keithtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
screw it. it's only 7am, but I'm making some right now.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2, Hammer gels are pretty mild in flavor. They use 100% maltodextrin instead of a sugar/malto mix like other gels. I think the banana and huckleberry are the lightest flavors of any gels that I've ever tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try chia seeds in your water! Just like the seeds that grow the famous ch ch ch chia pet, they are a food that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. According to the USDA, a one ounce (28 gram) serving of chia seeds contains 9 grams of fat, 5 milligrams of sodium, 11 grams of dietary fiber and 4 grams of protein.They have no taste, but they do tend to gel up a little so I sometimes have to shake the water bottle before I drink, just to break it up. I just dump a handful in some juice or water and I'm good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [winbolt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its so crazy that it just might work! I will give it a shot. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [winbolt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winbolt wrote:
Try chia seeds in your water! Just like the seeds that grow the famous ch ch ch chia pet, they are a food that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. According to the USDA, a one ounce (28 gram) serving of chia seeds contains 9 grams of fat, 5 milligrams of sodium, 11 grams of dietary fiber and 4 grams of protein.They have no taste, but they do tend to gel up a little so I sometimes have to shake the water bottle before I drink, just to break it up. I just dump a handful in some juice or water and I'm good to go.

A teaspoon of concentrated OJ added to that takes the chia taste edge off too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been fueling for long runs (15-50 miles) with these for the past year. 60% coconut. 40% brown rice syrup. Almost 200 Kcal per bar.

http://www.amazon.com/...;keywords=oskri+bars

And if you need additional calories, try the non-flavored version of Generation UCAN with a tsp of cinnamon in it for flavor. http://www.generationucan.com/home.html

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Last edited by: karma: Feb 20, 13 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with everyone
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [AussieCycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AussieCycle wrote:
I agree with everyone

So you are going to start training with coconut-chia-huckleberry gel meatballs?

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, I'm going to have to try these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol! Funny, but I just lost my appetite...
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could still go for a meatball...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its amazing how marketing brainwashes everyone.

Just use bulk maltodextrin. 1 dollar per lbs roughly online. Mildly sweet and pro tested for decades. 1 cup per bottle. Done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keebler cheese crackers, from costco
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Its amazing how marketing brainwashes everyone.

Just use bulk maltodextrin. 1 dollar per lbs roughly online. Mildly sweet and pro tested for decades. 1 cup per bottle. Done.

+1

Quote | Reply
Haven't tried yet, but ya can make your own recipe.

http://www.elementbars.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I'm beating a dead horse to death, but again, maltodextrin is so cheap and pro-tested that I personally think people should START with malto and see if it works for them and only then try the pricier stuff (Infinit, Hammer, etc.) if the malto isn't doing it for them.

If malto does work for you as it has for many pros (before they got PAID to drink the stuff they do now - marketing in sports drinks is tremendous, be it Gatorade etc), you've got yourself a superinexpensive and convenient sugar to go with. The 50 lbs batch for $60 shipped online lasts for 2 years even if using 5 cups of it every week. You can use it for ALL training (I bring it on my long runs by putting water bottles in a Camelbak. Just because the bottles are easier to clean than the bladder.)

If I'd gone with a commercial drink, I'd probably have spent over $400 on sports drinks in the past 2 years. As opposed to <$50 (I'm still working on that 50lb batch!)
Quote Reply
Re: "Low-Sweet" Endurance Fuel [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't want to commit to a bulk purchase first, CytoCarb II is reasonable. I don't know which version of malto it uses but it's almost completely flavorless compared to some others that I've tried. You can get it for around $10 for a 2 pound tub, which contains 3,360 calories. Which would translate to about 30cents per gel in calories.
Quote Reply

Prev Next