Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Feb. 11 Version
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher, how was Tough Mudder?!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 11 Version [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am having a rough time. Nearly everything that could go wrong is going wrong. That can stop at any moment thankyouvery much.
Didn't bike; goal had been 2 times. Did shoulder exercises once; goal had been hip and shoulders twice. Goals I did meet: a day off from running, 5 swims, and take a yoga class.

M - 8 mi run + 3000 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 45 min yoga + 45 min stairmaster
W - 8 mi run + 2100 yd swim
T - 8.5 mi run + 4000 yd swim
F - 8.5 mi run + 5000 yd swim + shoulder exercises
S - 5.5 mi run + 3200 yd swim
S - off

totals: 17,300 yd swim + 46.5 mi run + some other stuff

Goals for this week: get up at 5 everyday. Be at the gym by 6. Be in office around 9-9:15. Get work done.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job taking a day off from runnning.

My week went to crud as I started getting a cough Thurs. night.
Spent the weekend laying low and doing NO EXERCISE.
Now I'm away from home for the work week, still feeling like total crap, and hacking cough, wheeze, with now a runny nose. I already had to go get a new box of tissue. At least with this illness my appetite is down, not up. lol.

Survived 4 weeks of no running.
Still not sure if I'm healing. Hopping on the leg, I feel twinges. Who knows. Back to debating if it's a tendon issue.

Goal for this week - get better, kick the cold. I'm armed with soup and Siracha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 6: WIN
- bike x 3: WIN
- swim x 4: WIN
- core/strength x 4: WIN

was off work friday (the one day i take off from training) due to a foot of snow falling overnight and through the day. we slept in, shoveled out, snowshoed into town to get supplies (beer and milk for coffee), helped a couple of stuck vehicles along the way and went tobogganing. did an hour of xc skiing on saturday and hit the pool, then ran 45mins and did a quick bike workout. woke up sunday morning with arms so sore i could barely dress myself, but still hit the pool in the morning, ran the 10 miles i needed to hit 50k for the week (ending by running up the big stinkin' hill i live on), and did a 1h15m spin while watching the walking dead. something like 9hrs of activity in 3 days, with 3h40m of that on sunday alone.

for some reason, i'm a bit tired and sore today.

this week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 3
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

a bit of a schedule shift this week that will hopefully let me get a bit more sleep! 5hrs/night just isn't cutting it.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Fuck EVERYTHING about Tough Mudder. Pardon my language.

It was cold, I am not good at hiking, and holy crap was that 12 miles of uphill. I left a longer post under a TM thread in the Womens, but to summarize, I was fail. I couldn't run, so I trudged. My fiance stayed with me and I'd wait for him when he did something I couldn't (climb a 15' wall, climb ropes, put up with insane electrical shocks, etc). Because I couldn't run, it took 5.5 hours. I was sobbing at the end, completely broken and exhausted. I would consider a Spartan Run or one of the shorter-distance challenges, but would have to be trained for a year and paid a crap-ton of money to be put through that insanity again.

A HUGE thank you to luckytotri for the shoe recommendation - they made it so I could walk up huge inclines of clay-mud where men in old running shoes were sliding down. I am hoping to wash and keep them... or bronze them or something. They made a BIG difference in my being able to finish.

My course map: http://toughmudder.com/.../SoCalWinter_Map.pdf and 2300' of elevation, give or take

The rest of my week was quiet. I was recovering from last Sunday's half mary and only did a 40 min bike ride on Wednesday, when I could walk again without a limp. My coworkers treated me, alternating, like a leper or a queen. Even after a huge dinner on Sat. night, I was down to 137lbs - my lowest in over a year- with a body fat % down to 20 (from 35 3 months ago).

Now I am focused 100% on my first Tri on 4/20. I need to bike more and swim more, so I'm going to be setting a harsher schedule. I am thinking of doing a strength-training session with my spin coach (she's awesome) once a week, but we'll see... work is kicking my ass with CRAZY long hours and stress.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik - Hang in there. You set hella tough goals for yourself! Grats on taking that day off - the rest and recovery is oh-so important and I know your mentality is completely averse to it.

Mistressk - YUCK for all that snow. How awesome of you to help the stuck idiots trying to drive in that madness.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm...busy last week, ended up working Monday-Friday (first full week as a substitute teacher), so workouts kind of went out the window. Starting to get back in the hang of the classroom thing (taught online for 2 years). So the only 2 workouts were- Monday- 2 miles walking (in heels) as part of my duties as a substitute, & ran 50 minutes (3.7 miles) yesterday (Sunday).
So only win on the work goal from last week.
This weeks goals-
Yoga x1(have to go in the evening due to work)
Swim x2
Run x3-4
Bike x2

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 11 Version [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My coworkers treated me, alternating, like a leper or a queen.

You are hilarious. (How come I don't know womens like you all in real life?!) --- I'm sorry you had such a rough experience.

CONGRATS ON FINISHING!

Last edited by: tigerchik: Feb 11, 13 19:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved that comment too. alternating 'leper or queen'...

Congrats on finishing the Tough Mudder. It totally doesn't sound like fun at all to me. Good for you having the moxie to do it and get through it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - you do amazing. I think we at ST compare ourselves to the really abnormal. Most people couldn't have done your schedule this last week. Put it in perspective. Most people can't get off the coach.

Agilecipher - I am about to read your whole race report on TM thread.

My week last week was not good. I had the VMO pain again for first half of week. I did get my bike fitted, and hopefully found the problem, new shoes and the cleats were put on w toes pointed inward. That was fixed and seat height up. I'm going to try to bike again this week.
The good news is that I got 3 swims in. Which for me is huge. And even better news is that I'm finding myself enjoying swimming. I hope that lasts.

This weeks goals
5-6 runs w/ long run of 15 miles (it'll be 2 weeks out from marathon)
3-4 swims
3 bikes
3 core
2 weights

Happy training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, ladies - it was just insane. I "finished" only in that I was able to trudge across the finish line, skipping the masochism of trying to climb a 25' halfpipe and walking through electric wires.

SO happy to be back to normal tri training - it's so much cleaner ^_^

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The others are right...do what you can, leave the rest to the universe & TRY not to stress over it. Take things in stride (while taking a day off of running!) and do your best to not be affected by too much. Water off a duck's back, right? The ONLY things in this world that we can control are the way we let things affect us & our reaction to them....

Agilecipher - WHOA on the TM...I can't even imagine. I've done the shorter, FUN obstacle runs & had a blast....but I think a TM would just hurt me. And for the record, my coworkers think I'm insane anyway....you get used to it after awhile.

Last week was just weird. I didn't have any set goals outside of swimming when I could & trying to run some. I wound up with reasonable totals, even with some work travel in there. Wed through Friday were intense corporate meetings & events, I went to sleep as soon as I got home Friday (4-7p & 9pF-8aSa) trying to recover.
M - Swim (4k SCY)
T - Swim (5700 SCY) + 5m run (FAIL)
W - Swim (3600SCY)
TH - Run (4mi)
F - Rest
Sa - 13/15 mi Run (FAIL)
Su - Swim (4200 LCM) & I added a 7.5mi trail run (KILLED me, but it makes up for something - as a result, my shins are destroyed & my left ankle is really tender. I bit off more than I could chew for sure)

This week is another interesting week with a swim meet this weekend. I'm looking to swim a fast race in the mile, so we'll see what happens (the rest is for fun & entertainment). But I'm gearing most of this week up to the meet.
M - Swim (4150SCY)
T - Swim (4700 SCY)
W - Swim
Th - 7mi run
F - Swim (very short, shakeout)
Sa - 1650, 100IM, 200FR
Su - 500FR, 100FR, 200IM

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on finishing the TM - glad the shoes worked out for you.

The snow isn't a "yuck" for me; I've been hanging to go xc skiing, and this was exactly what we needed to get the trails passable again. I hadn't taken a day off work due to weather in 3 or 4 years (I live over 45 miles from the office), so having a snow day was kind of nice, and with managing to get out tobogganing that's another thing off my "must do every winter" list - already got snowboarding, xc skiing and snowshoeing in as well, so just skating left to go.

Messy sidewalks suck, but I live in Canada, where snow is both expected and wanted (at least by my husband and I) in winter.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Nice job on the three swims! I really hope the new bike fit fixes your quadricep pain.

I did a long run this morning (13.1) and am in a better headspace. I CAN HANDLE YOU, SCHOOL!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 11 Version [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you like substitute teaching?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 11 Version [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! It is so important to love where you live - I just can't imagine the inconvenience and extra chores caused by that weather. There aren't enough hours in the day as is, without having to plow my way out. Granted, there is the importance of "making the time". A coworker just emailed us that he'll be out for two work days (a Wed and Thrs) because he is moving. For my last 5 moves (one a year and another coming up in April), I scheduled them on the weekend. I have a very hard time prioritizing anything over work and am trying so hard to fit my training and video game relaxation time around it. The last time I took a day "off" (the day before Tough Mudder, so I could pack and mentally prep) I ended up taking 5 work calls.

/endWhine

Your snow day sounds fun - we're trying to find a weekend to go up to Tahoe for skiing, something we did 5-6 times last winter and not once yet this year.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 11 Version [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am jealous that you get to race a mile and that your races seem at the beginning of the meet (the ones I attend seem to leave the 1000/mile for LAST). Have a blast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
How do you like substitute teaching?
Some days are better than others. I'm so used to teaching high school age kids, that working with the younger kids is a bit of a challenge sometimes. I've been working everyday and have had some great classes and some not so great classes. Today the class was okay, with the exception of one particular student.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 11 Version [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I student taught last year. It was not my favorite thing, but I miss those kids - they kept me in stitches. It was like living in a Calvin and Hobbes strip.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 11 Version [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, love it! I can't wait to try the short ones - this was just WAY TOO MUCH. One of my coworkers runs, and my boss^5 (boss's boss's...) said she's considering a TM. Good on you for listening to your body and getting the extra sleep, and good luck on the swim meet!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was mostly blown out due to family vacation in Quebec City for Carnaval d'Hiver. Awesome time as always. Best part: outdoor skating on a large-track oval in -10degC weather under startling blue skies.

Managed 40k last week, which was the goal.

This week: double-down
Tues: 6k (am) + 6k (lunch)
Wed: blood testing (am) + blood testing (lunch)
Thurs: 16k (am) + 11k (pm)
Fri: optional 6k (lunch)
Sat: 35K
Sun: 25K

Aiming for a total of ~90k.

I moved up one spot on the waitlist for the Chuckanut 50k to 4th... tick tock tick tock....

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 11 Version [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you good to more than double your weekly mileage? Was last week just recovery / have fun in Quebec week? I know you do ultra's so I"m assuming that's the case, but I'm just too lazy to go back a week and check.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 11 Version [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah last week was recovery/fun week. Prior to that easy week I was 85k, 80k, 75k. So I'm good ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply