Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DIY - aero helmet - how to?
Quote | Reply
Mark Cavendish from the worlds in 2011, had some kind of fairing/foil on his helmet?
Wouldn't it be almost like the air attack?
Any one tried to make it, and how did you do?

Would be a lot of cents to save, if it's an easy job.

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: DIY - aero helmet - how to? [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Cav's helmet was special made with a cover, but I have heard people using packinging tape or shrink tape to cover up vents.

Personally, I have a Lazer helmet with an Aeroshell plastic snap on cover that covers up all the front and side vents. I have never noticed any overheating, and I like to believe it makes me all aero and junk.

I'd be interested seeing a comparison of those to the Air Attack.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've set some of my fastest splits with a rudy project kontact helmet covered in packing tape. It doesn't look good, but it seemed plenty fast.

Using some type of heat shrink film/wrap would probably be a lot better. It doesn't seem like it would be too tricky, and it isn't very expensive. You can probably get away with using a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY - aero helmet - how to? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to do this as well. Doesn't look good? As compared to what? My wife calls my aero helmet the "sperm tail helmet."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clear packing tape hit with a hair dryer makes a taut surface. Remember that the inside surface is sticky, of course.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone here on ST posted a picture of a swimcap put over a helmet sometime back. It works.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY - aero helmet - how to? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
I used to do this as well. Doesn't look good? As compared to what? My wife calls my aero helmet the "sperm tail helmet."

Hahaha. Good call. I guess it just didn't look "pro" but you are right....to a normal bystander, it probably looks more normal. It just looked a little ghetto. Well, it looked like a helmet covered in packing tape. This is the only photo I could find of it (from 5 or 6 years ago). And yes....one of my aerobars is loose and falling off.

Last edited by: sxevegan: Feb 13, 13 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: DIY - aero helmet - how to? [Aralo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: DIY - aero helmet - how to? [vanskater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winning
Quote Reply
Re: DIY - aero helmet - how to? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sxevegan wrote:
I've set some of my fastest splits with a rudy project kontact helmet covered in packing tape. It doesn't look good, but it seemed plenty fast.

Using some type of heat shrink film/wrap would probably be a lot better. It doesn't seem like it would be too tricky, and it isn't very expensive. You can probably get away with using a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun.

You can go to any R/C flying shop and get monokote. It takes a higher heat than your average hair dryer, but it's what they use on the wings of RC airplanes. You can get all kinds of funky colors, too.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I covered my vents with electrical tape. Took forever. Didn't look too bad. Not sure how well it worked.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the trick with Cav's helmet cover might be that the horizontal vent is still open so the helmet is ventilated

While training in rainy weather, I covered my vents with colorless parcel tape. It looked invisible but the tape would fog up pretty quickly, so then I added holes by first sticking two hole reinforcer stickers per vent then puncturing the middle..that way the holes wouldnt rip and get bigger. Two of those tiny holes was enough to keep a huge vent from steaming up at all .... which I took to mean better ventilation

hole reinforcing stickers (you can get clear ones)
Quote Reply
Re: DIY - aero helmet - how to? [vanskater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanskater wrote:

*standing ovation*

THat's epic in soooooooooooooo many ways
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used some left over clear window insulating plastic. It even comes with some double sided tape and shinks with a hair dryer.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you have my aero/rain cover
http://trihalvard.com/2012/09/09/new-helmet/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure its pretty easy...

Quote Reply