Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [hna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, but without Lance's help.

Doesn't the Reasoned Decision report unveil UCI corruption?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [ian moone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do appreciate your 2 cents. You're right on point 2, but Lance is not done making amends.

I have read that Lance may return some money, but can't make the other cyclists. I forget the article, but here's one I found: http://money.cnn.com/...armstrong/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's lost a lot, but he's still got your undying love! That must be worth something...
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't think he needs to be crucified. That's all.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree but with Captain Queeg running the Witch Trials burning at the stake is to be expected.
I saw TT on tv and thought with that twitch of his all he needed were 3 steel balls in his hand.
Bogart will have to resurrected to play the movie version....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [AmaDablam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AmaDablam wrote:
CensoredCyclist wrote:

I give this an eight on the troll scale. So much bullshit.

This guy has been trolling Twitter on thiis issue for a long time.

Slowman should save time & ban him now*.

* IMO...
Last edited by: NAB777: Feb 5, 13 14:50
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [AmaDablam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AmaDablam wrote:

I give this an eight on the troll scale. So much bullshit.

This guy has been trolling Twitter on thiis issue for a long time.

Not sure what you mean. Lance follows me and we exchange DMs sometimes. No trolling. I guess I'm a bit more hardcore than him though. Maybe a bad influence on him. hehe.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [CensoredCyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm delighted by the news the feds won't be reopening the inquiry into issues related to doping. We can disagree about Lance's behavior and actions on many levels, but I think most people don't want to see the feds involved in bike racing in Europe.

http://news.yahoo.com/...0719107--sector.html
Last edited by: CensoredCyclist: Feb 5, 13 15:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CensoredCyclist wrote:
IIt was a private conversation with a doctor. He would have asked them to leave had he not been on heavy pain killers after surgery, clouding his judgment.
While at this point it is a case of he said/she said (i.e. here say), according to Betsy Andreu, when the doctors started to ask those questions, she indicated to her husband and the other non-family members that they should leave to give lance and the doctor's some privacy but Lance urged them to stay.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
CensoredCyclist wrote:
IIt was a private conversation with a doctor. He would have asked them to leave had he not been on heavy pain killers after surgery, clouding his judgment.
While at this point it is a case of he said/she said (i.e. here say), according to Betsy Andreu, when the doctors started to ask those questions, she indicated to her husband and the other non-family members that they should leave to give lance and the doctor's some privacy but Lance urged them to stay.

Yes, I know. That's why I explained that the heavy pain killers let his guard down. I'm sure he regrets that decision greatly. Nevertheless, once you're staying in the room, you have to keep that doctor patient conversation private. You don't start shouting in the hallway of the cancer ward like a hillbilly, and then go home and tell all your friends, and ultimately Walsh and SCA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your moral compass is a little wonky.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you agree to build me a house for $300k and the contract specifies that no drug users will be in the construction crew and you build me a great house and I discover later that there was a doper on the crew, what do you owe me? Do I get the house for free? That is crazy. My injury is nowhere close to the full contract price.

Same with Lance. Only a tiny fraction of the USPS money was used for dope. The rest was used to go cycling, exactly what USPS contracted for. There is a reasonable argument for returning the money used in doping. There is no reasonable argument to return the whole thing. USPS is not entitled to the free labor of the cycling team for all those years. It got the benefit of that bargain and should not now be asking for all the money back.

The law is complex, but this is not.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. The law is suppose to make you whole not better off than before.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

I get a lot of that. But you have to remember there is a simplistic media bandwagon going on at the moment. These types of moral scares that make people highly onesided and vengeful. It's difficult for people to step back and look at it from both sides. If they did, I don't see how anyone could look at these instances and not at least say Armstrong had a right to feel aggrieved as well. What would we do?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
pick6 wrote:
JoeO wrote:
I don't think so. While I doubt the USPS would ever want to spend money to help cyclists dope, the fact is they were spending the money for publicity -- which they received.

If illegal doping is the crime that the government is concerned about, prosecute that. But the notion of "fraud" and the requisite injury still seems to be missing. I think you have to do some serious mental gymnastics to come up with scenario in which USPS was injured by any of this.

Now the competitors, and the people he sued left and right -- they certainly seem to have reason to claim injury. But the USPS? Hardly

You cannot use federal tax dollars fraudulently, period. That's the whole of the case. Not that USPS didn't get the publicity but rather that Armstrong and tailwind co-owners received what amounts to a government contract fraudulently. It's no different than a gov't contractor failing to deliver on a weapons system because the technology was a hoax, from what I've been told. Im no lawyer so maybe I misunderstood what I was told.

But you are glossing over the definition of the word. "Fraud" requires injury. When a contractor fails to deliver the system, the injury is clear for all to see. Where is the injury to the USPS?

(Unless of course, my twenty-cent lawyering is wrong -- a distinct possibility).

Ok, restate: misuse of goverment funds; via the purchase of illegal drugs, transport of illegal drugs over state and federal lines. And the Birotte case isnt the only one he has to worry about. The Office of Inspector General is still investigating. They can choose to bring charges on those grounds alone. Im not saying they'll do so. My guess is he settles with OIG, settles with Floyd, settles with everyone. I really don't care about the money; I care about Lance naming all names, and continuing the progress. but right now he's not inclined to do so it seems, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
If you agree to build me a house for $300k and the contract specifies that no drug users will be in the construction crew and you build me a great house and I discover later that there was a doper on the crew, what do you owe me? Do I get the house for free? That is crazy. My injury is nowhere close to the full contract price.

Same with Lance. Only a tiny fraction of the USPS money was used for dope. The rest was used to go cycling, exactly what USPS contracted for. There is a reasonable argument for returning the money used in doping. There is no reasonable argument to return the whole thing. USPS is not entitled to the free labor of the cycling team for all those years. It got the benefit of that bargain and should not now be asking for all the money back.

Outside of this extrordinarily unfortunate legal loophole that allowed for this whole mess to be opened in the first place - the fact USPS was federal sponsor - morally USPS has no right to anything. I've heard people say the deal they agreed to wasn't a good one for them in the first place, but that has nothing to do with it. Lance's team upheld their side of the bargain and won. It's quite absurd to think USPS have lost out in any way from this.

If money is returned, and it seems likely some of it will be, will it even go towards the USPS? Or will it be spent on general government spending? What a joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CensoredCyclist wrote:
Interesting post, Slowman. But I'd to take issue with the idea Betsy or Oreilly were great victims here. It was a private conversation with a doctor. He would have asked them to leave had he not been on heavy pain killers after surgery, clouding his judgment. Yet she went home and immediately called all her friends and told them. She later refused to help out when Lance was being screwed out of millions by an insurance company. I think Armstrong had every right to be angry with her. Even today she has no conscience about all the people Armstrong is trying to protect from possible criminal charges over SCA - good friends, top doctors. Not only does she view this trivial issue of what happened at the hospital as more important than the career of a great champion, she also believes none of these good people matter. That shows complete narcissism.

I think a huge part of it is the guilt she feels for effectively ending Frankie's career by refusing to allow him to dope, knowing he wasn't good enough to survive in the peloton without it. Armstrong tried to get Frankie to come back after he retired, but instead Betsy forced him to wear a wire whilst meeting his agent. Horrible stuff. For years she consistently tried to out Lance but noone else in his team, which drove even Hincapie nuts as we saw from his email in the affidavits. It was straight forward bullying.

Frankie seems like a fairly honorable and simple man, but you have to ask how Armstrong ever allowed such low quality people into his inner circle. For that Armstrong does share part of the blame.

Now Oreilly. She is a more likable figure - she had a good relationship with Lance and he was only ever kind to her. This almost makes it worse that she would betray the team. She sold her story to the book and could have potentially brought down the team - all the great staff and riders within it. That was a very nasty thing to do. Armstrong's hints that they had to fire her for inappropriate behavior are really the least one could expect as blow back. I'm amazed that people believe she expected to do that without any consequences. What do you think was going to happen?

Armstrong's attempts to apologise, even though he has the moral highground, should be seen as an act of great grace. Personally I would have liked to see him give a much stronger defence of his actions. I think they were afraid of the media spinning it as more bullying.

Lance has the moral highground? I always wondered what you'd be like with more than 140 characters to work with. Now that I know, I wish I didn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think to qoute you..." Lance has the moral high ground".......says all the needs to be said about either your trolling or your compass
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CensoredCyclist wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I get a lot of that. But you have to remember there is a simplistic media bandwagon going on at the moment. These types of moral scares that make people highly onesided and vengeful. It's difficult for people to step back and look at it from both sides. If they did, I don't see how anyone could look at these instances and not at least say Armstrong had a right to feel aggrieved as well. What would we do?

"We" wouldnt have doped in the first place. Of course, you've never considered it from that point of view.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBeer wrote:
Agreed, but without Lance's help.

Doesn't the Reasoned Decision report unveil UCI corruption?

it doesnt prove anything about UCI's corruption. It proves only that lance intimidated and bullied, and lied, and doped, and pushed drugs, and via 2nd hand testimony indicates a potential UCI corruption. Without Lance's testimony, no action can be taken against the UCI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CensoredCyclist wrote:
ms6073 wrote:
CensoredCyclist wrote:

Yes, I know. That's why I explained that the heavy pain killers let his guard down. I'm sure he regrets that decision greatly. Nevertheless, once you're staying in the room, you have to keep that doctor patient conversation private. You don't start shouting in the hallway of the cancer ward like a hillbilly, and then go home and tell all your friends, and ultimately Walsh and SCA.

Wrong. He waived doctor patient confidentiality when he let her stay in the room. He knows this. It's why he won't admit it happened, because then the doctor will likely be sanctioned for falsifying medical records.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:

You dont know how much money was used to dope, and neither do I. We do know that lance had guys on the team not take bonuses so they could buy more drugs. So, if they were not paying several bonuses per year how much of that was USPS money? USPS money was supposed to be the primary source of rider salary. the feds have a lot of those financials, not all of them, of course because you dont write "drug deal" in your budget when you go buy drugs. But we know salary/bonus money was being diverted to drugs.

Im not saying USPS will get full value back, Im saying there are reasons contracts include morals clauses in sports. Dont be surprised if he has to settle most of these lawsuits for a lot more than youre expecting. Did USPS get a lot of good back then? Well now they're getting a hell of a lot of bad. You rarely hear just Lance armstrong, you hear Lance Armstrong and his postal service team.
Last edited by: pick6: Feb 5, 13 17:10
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
"We" wouldnt have doped in the first place. Of course, you've never considered it from that point of view.

Very good, but in the real world this was the reality of most of the peloton, and certainly the teams competing at the GC level. That was the context of what Lance was dealing with. So was he just going to pack up the team and go home because Betsy and Oreilly decided to talk? People need to have a little perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CensoredCyclist wrote:
pick6 wrote:

Very good, but in the real world this was the reality of most of the peloton, and certainly the teams competing at the GC level. That was the context of what Lance was dealing with. So was he just going to pack up the team and go home because Betsy and Oreilly decided to talk? People need to have a little perspective.

No. People need to have more backbone and moral fortitude, like Betsy, Like Oreilly. He chose to dope. Unlike the team working for him, no one forced him. He's never made that claim. There was plenty of success to be had back in the US. People talk about all the money, but imagine Lance for a second, clean. He was always a little better than his 82 VO2Max, even before the serious drugs. He had a fight in him that we've seen be his undoing. Imagine, then instead of doping if he'd raised the profile of US racing for all those years by racing here. Where would we be now? Do you think Philadelphia would have been shuttered? Would Battenkill now be a Gran Fondo? probably not. The thing you don't understand is Lance never had to win the TdF to do great things, it's just what he chose.

I talk about this alternate reality, because you have always assumed this was the only way things could have gone for lance. The perspective people need to have is that winning at all costs isnt really winning and he's seeing that now. He wonders why Floyd won't answer the phone; he wonders why just because Frankie said he sounded contrite doesnt mean they're going to forgive him anytime soon.
Last edited by: pick6: Feb 5, 13 17:17
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with many of your posts, but your take on Lance I find disappointing.

If Lance was truly sorry for his actions, would he not be willing to hand back all that dirty money to charity with perhaps some of this money going to the people who's lives he caused trama to? The guy still flies his private jet, has multiple homes and is worth over $100M - all dirty money from his actions.

If Lance was truly sorry for his actions, he would not even think about bringing up the topic of his "right" to compete again. He should be happy with people just be willing to say hello to him.

If Lance was truly sorry for his actions, he would not challenge the lawsuit to pay back to money to the newspaper and insurance company.

If Lance was truly sorry for his actions, he would see it as his priority to work with the USADA rather than saying his schedule is busy and the meeting cannot be attended before Feb 6. He was given PLENTY of notice to change his schedule to accommodate something you would think would be of utmost priority.

I would love to rob a bank if I knew I could keep most of the money with no criminal charges.

Friends and supporters of Lance truly need to wake up. Justice is far from being served here and I hope the prick (because there is no better word to describe your friend) suffers in a lonesome state for many years until he may finally decide to show remorse and make amends with the people he has hurt in a proper way.

Last edited by: AJHull: Feb 5, 13 17:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next