Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Feb. 4 Edition
Quote | Reply
Spill! Is anyone's life getting less hectic?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 4 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goals were 5 swims (done), a day off from running (done - took a day off entirely!), and not have food issues. Was 6/7 on that which is pretty good. Oh, I think I made a goal to bike twice - did not do that. I thought about it on Saturday but chose a full day off instead.

M - 7 mi run + 5000 yd swim
T - 7 mi run + 4500 yd swim
W - 9.5 mi run + 3300 yd swim
T - 8.5 mi run + 2800 yd swim
F - 8 mi run + 4500 yd swim
S - off
S - 13.1 mi run + 4500 yd swim

totals: 24,600 yd swim; 53.1 mi run

This is a big week at school; I have a midterm Friday. Goals: kick a$$ on midterm. No food issues (have realized the big triggers = being overwhelmed with work and the stress that comes from that). Ideas for coping strategies when you feel absolutely overwhelmed? Workout goals - shoulder and hip exercises 2x, bike 2x, swim 5x with some of it directed at swimming a faster 500, day off from running.

The swim yards are helping - I went 3:44 and 3:46 for two 300s this morning. However, I need to work on swimming faster 100s and 200s so I can have that carry over to my 500/1000. Right now my 100=200=500=1000 pace. Not exaggerating.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh, I also want to try a yoga class T or Th, there is a good-sounding one in town. I think yoga would help settle my mind a bit. I keep waking up a lot at night and I think it's stress-related.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck on Friday's exam!!!! If you apply the same commitment to your studying that you apply to your workouts, you should ace it!!!! Your run and swim totals for last week are impressive!

Overall a good week for me - lost 2lbs - only 12 to go. Must continue to behave with eats. Still continuing to work on my weaknesses: the run & the swim but need to get the bike back in the mix!

Last week:
5 runs - only got 4 in - will try harder this week to get them all in
4 swims - score! Starting to develop a feel for the water with consistency
1 bike - miss. My poor bike is hating my running shoes right now.

This week continue to build aerobic base, focus on building run volume and lose another 1-2lbs
5-6 runs mostly EZ pace
3 swims
2 bikes

Happy training all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 6: WIN
- bike x 3: WIN
- swim x 4: WIN, though one was pretty awful
- core/strength x 4: WIN

after quite awhile of feeling very sluggish, i finally cranked out a couple of ass-kicking workouts on wednesday - a run with the kind of zip in my legs i haven't felt in months, and a pretty decent 3 x 10mins on the bike. got some solid workouts in on the weekend, but need to work on getting more sleep - i think that's what contributed to a really crappy swim sunday morning, since i actually seemed to be getting my feel for the water back a bit and yardage is starting to come up again.

this week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 3
- swim x 4
- core/strength

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Good luck on the test. Regarding feeling overwhelmed, I break everything down into time-allocated chunks - it makes a HUGE difference in not freaking. Wake up, brew the coffee, take the first work call. Bam, we made it to 8am. Next hour is devoted to getting dressed and getting to work. Between meetings (for you, classes?) I make lists of tasks then assign them order based on urgency and importance (7 Habits trick - some things feel very important, but aren't urgent - once you can make that distinction, it makes a BIG difference in controlling what is /worth/ freaking about vs. what you should focus on sooner). Scheduling in the relaxy time helps, too. I try to find 15-20 minutes between meetings in the afternoon and walk around the campus. The fresh air and exercise makes it much easier to go back and focus on work.

Hope that helps! I'll be rooting for you :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Victory! Yesterday, I completed my first half marathon. The scenery and weather in San Francisco were PERFECT, and I didn't have any issues with calf cramping or foot numbness - a huge treat. In the end, it was my muscles that pooped out. I was hoping for under 2:30, since my longest run ever was 6 miles in 1:08, but I ended up with 2:43:01. Not an awful first showing, but plenty of room for improvement.

I can hardly walk today and am counting the seconds till my massage after work. Limping along for another 6 hours...

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 4 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!!! Enjoy the massage :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. Only a couple short runs. Now I have a nasty cold so missed my long run yesterday and will likely miss today. I just feel tired and my head is stuffed up so I'd rather sleep.

Congrats agilecipher on the half! That is a big accomplishment, especially on that low of a mileage going into it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week ended up a little crazier than planned.
M- swim/run brick
T- short run & yoga.. orientation for substitute teaching
W-Disney's California Adventure walk (early visit for my sister's birthday, we also went on a few rides)
Th- Worked as a sub for the first time in 5 years, 5th grade class, have been out of the classroom, teaching online for 2 years, so was a little wrung out at the end of the day. Did not complete planned workout.
F-San Diego Zoo walk, saw the new baby panda for the first time, though just the backside. Good walk, as the Zoo is quite hilly.
Sa- My sister's birthday, so we went to breakfast, then to her acting class, I got a swim in while she was in class, then out to lunch, home and then out to dinner.
Su- Watched the super bowl, looked online and booked some work for the week ahead.

Goals for this week-
Work 3-4 days (already worked today, and have a job for tomorrow)
Swim 2x
Bike- 2x
Run 4x

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less hectic? Heck no! ;-)

Last week got in my double long (24k + 25k) on some seriously hilly terrain. I am very stiff and sore today - so day off :-). Also managed just shy of 90k for the week. Still super stressful at work - the product recall we are managing is a major stressor lots of moving pieces all around the world, lots of challenges.

This week: we fly out to Quebec City with the kids on Thursday for Carnival d'Hiver - three days of cold + snow + fun! I am aiming for 2-3 runs before we go, maybe 1 run on the deadmill at the hotel while we are there, but that's it. :-) So maybe 40k total for the week. It's my recovery week!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 4 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A baby panda! Sounds amazing!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less hectic? Ha ha ha, heck no!

Last week wasn't bad.
biked 5x
strength 2x
Stood and walked all over creation on Sat. for CX Worlds and had the best time. It was totally worth everything. Coolest races...Katie Compton took 2nd for the women's....
Used an elliptical machine for the first time...
30 mins and my leg started hurting during the last 5 min. Not sure why... Still wondering at times what is really going on with the leg.
Survived 3 weeks of no running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like everyone is doing well. You ladies continue to inspire me.

I had a decent week
Goals
Swim - 2-3 times LOSE - only once, but better than none
Bike - 3-4 times WIN - rode 4 times
Run 5-6 times WIN - ran 6 times w 20 miler - unfortunetly re-injured my quads. Getting tired of that happening. anyone have good quad strengthening exercises?
Core 2-3 times WIN - I managed 3 times.

This coming week will have to be less since I'm going into it w/ sore quads and marathon is 4 weeks away.
Swim - 3-4 times (already once, so thats a plus)
Bike 4
Run 3-4 hopefully. No hills
Core 2-3

Happy training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was getting a lot of waking up in the night before my FL exam and afterwards I slept like a champ, so it was definitely stress related.
Never did figure out how to "fix" it.
What I did do was to repeat to myself over and over again, "it will be OK, it's the middle of the night and there is nothing you can do right now"
Or think of a 'schedule' for the next day to address what you are feeling stressed about.
Hang in there!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 4 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squats, particularly single-leg squats

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 4 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry your leg hurt on the elliptical. They're sort of weird machines so maybe it is not injury related? Also, if it is a stress fracture (I know the 'diagnostic' tuning for test was negative) they can be a little sore even after 6-8 weeks and they're healed. In any event I feel for you with the not running :-(

I got a bit snappy with my advisor today. We are working on a paper together and I said "fine, but you write the last section. I have a test Friday." He recoiled a bit. I apologized later for sounding bossy. I meant to assert a boundary and it came across a bit snappy :-) he chuckled and said "it's okay. I know when you're stressed."

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 4 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a good job coping with stress yesterday... aside from the part that I got snappy with my advisor :-) we are writing a paper together and it is nearly finished. One of us writes a section, sends it to the next person who edits and writes more, gives it back to the first person... we've been exchanging this thing at least once a day for the past week+. We are practically robotic :D it's a lot of fun, but can be stressful. We had a meeting yesterday and talked about the last section. I said "YOU'RE writing it since I have a test Friday." What I meant to do was be assertive that I was feeling stressed and pressed for time, but it came out rather bossy and out of line. I am 25 and he is 26 - I would have NEVER said that to N., my masters thesis advisor because she is older than I am - but since E. and I are about the same age, there's less of the advisor/student feel than with N. Anyway E. recoiled a bit and reminded me gently that I'm the first author on this paper so "I'll write it, but at the very least it needs your thoughts." I emailed later with two paragraphs for it an an apology for being snappy. He wrote back and said "not to worry, I know you enough to know when you're stressed." Anyway, the section ended up being mostly my writing anyway - he sent it last night and I edited/added this morning.

goal today is to (a) study maths and (b) finish stats project (due tomorrow) so that by the evening I feel ready for the test and thus less stressed/overwhelmed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are doing well. I'm sure you're under a lot of pressure and deadlines. It's easy to get quick tempered in those situations. You realized it and apologized. That's awesome. I wish more people were introspective enough to realize when they need to repair a relationship. Good job. You are amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 4 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had a somewhat disappointing week. a travel day with a mad dash across the airport to catch my connection. then i needed some recovery from the stressful trip.
missed most of my runs on the trip, did one treadmill run, one swim.
achilles is still bothering me so i had to dial back on the running once i was back. got a great track session in on sunday - crash speed training for my upcoming 5k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I was fully functional by Wednesday and able to take a short ride. I'm still amazed I was able to double the distance and not hurt myself. Same goal for tough mudder tomorrow.

Quote Reply