Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I disagree when you talk about the people involved, of which vaughters was one to testify, that no one has come forward or supported the andreaus."

you disagree with something you wish i would have written?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Come on now. Levi and Lance were offered the same three choices:"

nevertheless, and pardon the analogy, but to me the focus is on the thug who beats people up, and who gets the death sentence, but the guy who held the victim down, and the guys who stood overtop and watched the beatings - and never said a word - are spending their off season in jail
. neither george, nor levi, nor dz, nor vdv, nor anyone of the rest of that crowd, would ever have said word one. let me put this in perspective. levi knew the entire time that betsy andreu and emma o'reilly were getting a bad rap and shabby treatment. he never lifted a finger. never said a word. for a decade and more. nor would he ever have said a word to this day to right those wrongs. nor would any of them. does this lessen lance's culpabillity? not a bit. however, one guy gets life. the others are banned from racing all those big money races that take place between thanksgiving and easter. further, they are basically called heroes by USADA. if this is not a full justification and use, by USADA, of the nuremburg defense, i do not know what else to call it. i'm not saying that lance should get levi's penalty. if anything, it should be the other way around. mostly i'm just saying that the delta between the penalties is much greater than can be justified by the fact that some of these guys - after a decade of doping and silence - rolled a few months before lance did.

Sounds pretty analogous to any plea bargaining tactic that would get used in a criminal trial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"
I disagree when you talk about the people involved, of which vaughters was one to testify, that no one has come forward or supported the andreaus."

you disagree with something you wish i would have written?

Nope, you wrote it.

"look, there is nobody in all of this - no athlete, no cyclist - who made an apology if his own free will. everybody who made an apology made it because he was forced to.levi, george, dz, vdv, td, mb, floyd, tyler, lance, everybody. all these guys would be living their lies today if not forced by outside pressures to make their apologies. "

Vaughters had no outside pressure to apologize. frankie had no outside pressure to apologize. Floyd was long past any outside pressure. These other guys took an opportunity Lance had and didn't. Further, DZ and VDV actively worked towards clean cycling even before revealing their past.

"neither george, nor levi, nor dz, nor vdv, nor anyone of the rest of that crowd, would ever have said word one. let me put this in perspective. levi knew the entire time that betsy andreu and emma o'reilly were getting a bad rap and shabby treatment. he never lifted a finger. never said a word. for a decade and more. nor would he ever have said a word to this day to right those wrongs."

Vaughters supported Betsy anonymously back in the NY times piece all those years ago. So please just stop trying to lump them all together. there are differences, and while some might see it as shades of grey, those shades are what pushing clean cycling forward in the pro ranks, while the rest have done nothing. When levi george and lance actually do something towards anti-doping then they can start working towards the redemption others are working towards or have earned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
Floyd was long past any outside pressure.

A small correction:

No only was Landis "long past any outside pressure" to confess/apologize, when he confessed, he was still under immense pressure to not come clean. Because surely Landis guessed that if he did confess there would be hell for him to pay, personally, financially, criminally, civilly, and career-wise.

And he was right.

But he came clean anyway, in spite of the pressure.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get a chance, watch/read some interviews with these people, and see how traumatic their lives were because of Armstrong. //

I don't disagree with what you have said, but the key word is "were". I know all the stories just like everyone else does, but if they are going to use that as an excuse for their lives to be "destroyed" from now on, then it is just scapegoating. Frankie used drugs to race, he was in the system. He has to accept some responsibility for his actions which led him down this path. Betsy said she would never marry a doper, but she did. I have a guy here at the camp that knows Lemond very well, and tells me of the stories of his lies, deciet in business, and lives he "destroyed" too. I know it was not a good time for any of these folks and lance was a big reason for it. But they could be done with it if they choose, they are not destroyed as human beings. They lived through some tough times, just like a lot of us have over the years. You either move on and prosper, or live in the past and wilt. Lance has no control over that, no matter how much you all want it to be so..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"all i'm saying is, levi and george stood by and spectated, sometimes even abetted, all of that, and never said a word, and profited by it. and i can even understand that, to a degree."
-----------------------------
Oh how I agree....funny, I agree with most everything on these topics. The plots are so interwoven and are such a microcosm of human nature, although there is one who has certainly taken it all to the extreme.

I think this is a very interesting study into the characteristics of human behavior. It's a bit like Jesse James and the gang - there were bank robbers before and after. No one talked when it was going well. Then, one gets caught and squeals. The rest ride on as long as they can, and never fess up til they have to....and even then, they are plotting their next heist because that's just the way they are. I find the whole thing fascinating from a human and sociological perspective. I am not a Lance supporter or a Lance apologist but, it is certainly fascinating to dissect the behavior of some of the various characters.

In no particular order:

• Betsy - she wouldn't marry Frankie if he doped. At some point she either caved, or Frankie lied to Betsy. Either way she's ticked off and wants the Man hung high b/c her man wouldn't have been a robber if the Man wasn't
  • Frankie - Betsy's mad at him and cuts him off - the only way he gets back in good graces is to turn in the Man. The Man doesn't want hung, so he bites back...perfectly predictable....shoots the witness so to speak. Interesting how he let's his wife do his bidding - telling.
  • Tyler and Levi - they get taken down. Try as they might, they just can't do it on their own. So, when, and only when, there is nothing else to lose they come clean. Of course they have to blame someone, so the Man, who's still on the loose (and not doing himself any relationship favors) is the target. The Man rides on...for a while.
  • George, Levi, and a cast of 100s just go along and get along as long as the going is good....and it works for quite some time. Then, when the posse gets really close and they know the end is in sight, well..... they are so very sorry, and cop to a light sentence....the Man still is out there fighting, robbing, and continuing on even though he knows the end is in sight.
  • Kathy - she gets pretty vocal even though she has seen other heists in the past and says nothing. Of course, this is the only one who steal her man's thunder....then she complains when the fighter fights back. Again, talking for her man seems a bit odd
  • Greg - don't know how clean he was way back then, but i have my thoughts. Nevertheless, there can't be much question that he knew of other "gangs" back then...and, he didn't do a whole lot of turning folks in; but, then, he was still the baddest on the frontier, so it's not his problem. There were lots of known bad guys riding around before and after but they were never a threat. Then, along comes a young gun slinger who is so good he steals the limelight and all of a sudden he has this great interest in cleaning up the whole wild West and it starts with one man, and one only.
  • Travis - he is either one bad sheriff, or he is Marshall Dillon....I still haven't figured that out...it will be interesting to see how it plays out. He was on TV the other night when my youngest daughter walked through the room "Daddy, who is that man...he doesn't look nice - I don't like him" Interesting take on the Sheriff.
  • The "Man" - he really cares about no one or nothing other than his own desires. It's all a means to his ends. He was the best and meanest gun slinger of the bunch. That's they way he is, and probably the way he will always be. Even when he is down he is fighting and scheming. Even if it makes no sense, the rage go on....that's just the way he is.

The motives, the plots, and the suspense over all the years.... just fascinating. Now, on other frontiers the same stories are at some stage of playing out (football, baseball soccer, ...Wall Street....or maybe even triathlon). Some of these have kids starting in high school so they can be bigger, stronger, and hit harder....actually this is a much nastier gang for society, but there is SOOO much money involved that know one yet knows whether or if they will deal with it.

Human dynamics never cease to amaze me...even after 1000s of years we all watch, and play, these same old games just in different forms and on different fields.

I wish I could type better and lay more of this out, but you get the point.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jan 31, 13 15:34
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
If you get a chance, watch/read some interviews with these people, and see how traumatic their lives were because of Armstrong. //

I don't disagree with what you have said, but the key word is "were". I know all the stories just like everyone else does, but if they are going to use that as an excuse for their lives to be "destroyed" from now on, then it is just scapegoating. Frankie used drugs to race, he was in the system. He has to accept some responsibility for his actions which led him down this path. Betsy said she would never marry a doper, but she did. I have a guy here at the camp that knows Lemond very well, and tells me of the stories of his lies, deciet in business, and lives he "destroyed" too. I know it was not a good time for any of these folks and lance was a big reason for it. But they could be done with it if they choose, they are not destroyed as human beings. They lived through some tough times, just like a lot of us have over the years. You either move on and prosper, or live in the past and wilt. Lance has no control over that, no matter how much you all want it to be so..

Yeah man, I saw some of your answers after I replied.. not destroyed, literally, but bad for a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<here's what i think about lance armstrong. i think lance is obsessed with being the best. the best cyclist. the best doper. and now i think he's made the choice that when it comes to the current task - owning up to 15 years of doping and lying; making restitution; turning the page - i think he's now determined to be the best at that>

Well, I'm not impressed until he admits his relationship with the UCI as well his role influencing everyone whoe rode on his teams.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • "Travis - he is either one bad sheriff, or he is Marshall Dillon....I still haven't figured that out...it will be interesting to see how it plays out. He was on TV the other night when my youngest daughter walked through the room "Daddy, who is that man...he doesn't look nice - I don't like him" Interesting take on the Sheriff." (david)

• Out of the mouths of babes....

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    david wrote:
    "all i'm saying is, levi and george stood by and spectated, sometimes even abetted, all of that, and never said a word, and profited by it. and i can even understand that, to a degree."
    -----------------------------
    Oh how I agree....funny, I agree with most everything on these topics. The plots are so interwoven and are such a microcosm of human nature, although there is one who has certainly taken it all to the extreme.

I think this is a very interesting study into the characteristics of human behavior. It's a bit like Jesse James and the gang - there were bank robbers before and after. No one talked when it was going well. Then, one gets caught and squeals. The rest ride on as long as they can, and never fess up til they have to....and even then, they are plotting their next heist because that's just the way they are. I find the whole thing fascinating from a human and sociological perspective. I am not a Lance supporter or a Lance apologist but, it is certainly fascinating to dissect the behavior of some of the various characters.

In no particular order:

• Betsy - she wouldn't marry Frankie if he doped. At some point she either caved, or Frankie lied to Betsy. Either way she's ticked off and wants the Man hung high b/c her man wouldn't have been a robber if the Man wasn't
    • Frankie - Betsy's mad at him and cuts him off - the only way he gets back in good graces is to turn in the Man. The Man doesn't want hung, so he bites back...perfectly predictable....shoots the witness so to speak. Interesting how he let's his wife do his bidding - telling.
    • Tyler and Levi - they get taken down. Try as they might, they just can't do it on their own. So, when, and only when, there is nothing else to lose they come clean. Of course they have to blame someone, so the Man, who's still on the loose (and not doing himself any relationship favors) is the target. The Man rides on...for a while.
    • George, Levi, and a cast of 100s just go along and get along as long as the going is good....and it works for quite some time. Then, when the posse gets really close and they know the end is in sight, well..... they are so very sorry, and cop to a light sentence....the Man still is out there fighting, robbing, and continuing on even though he knows the end is in sight.
    • Kathy - she gets pretty vocal even though she has seen other heists in the past and says nothing. Of course, this is the only one who steal her man's thunder....then she complains when the fighter fights back. Again, talking for her man seems a bit odd
    • Greg - don't know how clean he was way back then, but i have my thoughts. Nevertheless, there can't be much question that he knew of other "gangs" back then...and, he didn't do a whole lot of turning folks in; but, then, he was still the baddest on the frontier, so it's not his problem. There were lots of known bad guys riding around before and after but they were never a threat. Then, along comes a young gun slinger who is so good he steals the limelight and all of a sudden he has this great interest in cleaning up the whole wild West and it starts with one man, and one only.
    • Travis - he is either one bad sheriff, or he is Marshall Dillon....I still haven't figured that out...it will be interesting to see how it plays out. He was on TV the other night when my youngest daughter walked through the room "Daddy, who is that man...he doesn't look nice - I don't like him" Interesting take on the Sheriff.
    • The "Man" - he really cares about no one or nothing other than his own desires. It's all a means to his ends. He was the best and meanest gun slinger of the bunch. That's they way he is, and probably the way he will always be. Even when he is down he is fighting and scheming. Even if it makes no sense, the rage go on....that's just the way he is.

The motives, the plots, and the suspense over all the years.... just fascinating. Now, on other frontiers the same stories are at some stage of playing out (football, baseball soccer, ...Wall Street....or maybe even triathlon). Some of these have kids starting in high school so they can be bigger, stronger, and hit harder....actually this is a much nastier gang for society, but there is SOOO much money involved that know one yet knows whether or if they will deal with it.

Human dynamics never cease to amaze me...even after 1000s of years we all watch, and play, these same old games just in different forms and on different fields.

I wish I could type better and lay more of this out, but you get the point.

David...to date this is the best write up on this topic....front page material all the way :-)
    Quote Reply
    Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
    pick6 wrote:
    Floyd was long past any outside pressure.

A small correction:

No only was Landis "long past any outside pressure" to confess/apologize, when he confessed, he was still under immense pressure to not come clean. Because surely Landis guessed that if he did confess there would be hell for him to pay, personally, financially, criminally, civilly, and career-wise.

And he was right.

But he came clean anyway, in spite of the pressure.

I think you're wrong. Landis was under immense financial pressure due to not having gainful employment. That led him to try and extort a job/income from Armstrong and Johan. When they did not submit Landis went public. Landis also owes all of that Floyd Fairness Fund money back. Though that judgement came after he outed Lance.

I do not think Landis was lying, but he had plenty of motivation and did not do it because he had a change of heart and wanted to come clean to cleanse his soul.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
    My Strava
    Quote Reply
    Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Sure, Landis was under financial pressure due to not having employment. But, by keeping quiet, I am sure he could have done something in cycling eventually, ridden for a 3rd string team, coached, sold bikes at a bike shop, run an elementary school cycling club, whatever.

However, if he 'came clean', first, he had no idea where exactly it would lead (except, likely, to his ruin on nearly all levels including the clusterf*ck of the floyd fairness fund). But one thing he did know was that he would likely never work in cycling again.

Of course I'm not claiming he did it to "cleanse his soul", I have no first hand knowledge of the real 'why'. But he did it in spite of immense pressure to keep quiet. That much is clear.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
    DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
    Quote Reply
    Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [jmh] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    was thinking the same thing! bravo!
    Quote Reply
    Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Maybe there should be a new acronym for Armstrong - instead of HTFU, STFU - someone on his strategy team should tell him to "Shut the..." At this point he just seems to keep digging the hole deeper and deeper.

The doping I (and most people I think) can get over. His tyrannical aggression followed by incessant whining about "witch hunt," "singled out," "unfair treatment," blah, blah, blah makes his position less and less sympathetic with every passing day. He needs to understand that his ban is commensurate with how he enacted his brand of street justice during his reign at the top, though he says things like "you reap what you sow" he doesn't think it's fair when applied to him. He destroyed people's lives, having the ability to compete in sanctioned races taken away is a reasonably light punishment when you consider that.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
    Sure, Landis was under financial pressure due to not having employment. But, by keeping quiet, I am sure he could have done something in cycling eventually, ridden for a 3rd string team, coached, sold bikes at a bike shop, run an elementary school cycling club, whatever.

However, if he 'came clean', first, he had no idea where exactly it would lead (except, likely, to his ruin on nearly all levels including the clusterf*ck of the floyd fairness fund). But one thing he did know was that he would likely never work in cycling again.

Of course I'm not claiming he did it to "cleanse his soul", I have no first hand knowledge of the real 'why'. But he did it in spite of immense pressure to keep quiet. That much is clear.

I think his situation was a lot more desperate and he didn't have time to find a cycling job eventually. He needed something right then. I think that if he couldn't get it then he was going to "take those fuckers down with him". (Not a quote, just my take on his point of view.)

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
    My Strava
    Quote Reply
    Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    great post and completely ignored on this thread.

But narcissism is only half of the equation in the DSM... like half of the 21 or so traits. The other half of the 21 is the sociopath half.

Bryancd wrote:
    Well, that explains it..

http://www.theatlantic.com/...ce-armstrong/272568/

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
    Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    After thinking about this a bit I am glad Lance "feels" he was treated unfairly. The same way the people he went after felt.

Knowing that he thinks he got fucked over brings a smile to my face. So much for all those that said all this doesn't really bother him.

Fuck Lance....
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    exactly
    Quote Reply
    Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Well, that explains it..

http://www.theatlantic.com/...ce-armstrong/272568/ "

Um, no... it really doesn't.

The musings of a pop psychologist who is attempting to apply diagnostic criteria to a "patient" he has never examined is just more armchair dribble like you read on forums. :-)

The only difference is that his dribble is even longer than my posts and he got paid a butt load for his "expertise".

Many, many "superstars" have backgrounds similar to LA. Anger is a great motivator and one could argue that it is a necessity for greatness. How many times have you heard something like "He's really talented but he's too nice to win..." (Insert major championship).

This article made me think that his author knows ZERO about cycling and cycling history. "Hey Joe, could you do a 10,000ft evaluation of LA for the next issue. People are really interested in this thing.".

Puhleese.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    P.O.T.Y. !!!!! Who doesn't love a great western!!!

Louis Lamour has nothing on you.......

Bravo!!! (or,..... should I say...... Rio Bravo!!!)
    Quote Reply
    Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [ironpsych] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    ironpsych wrote:
    Well, that explains it..

http://www.theatlantic.com/...ce-armstrong/272568/ "

Um, no... it really doesn't.

The musings of a pop psychologist who is attempting to apply diagnostic criteria to a "patient" he has never examined is just more armchair dribble like you read on forums. :-)

The only difference is that his dribble is even longer than my posts and he got paid a butt load for his "expertise".

Many, many "superstars" have backgrounds similar to LA. Anger is a great motivator and one could argue that it is a necessity for greatness. How many times have you heard something like "He's really talented but he's too nice to win..." (Insert major championship).

This article made me think that his author knows ZERO about cycling and cycling history. "Hey Joe, could you do a 10,000ft evaluation of LA for the next issue. People are really interested in this thing.".

Puhleese.

Tim Carlson asked the very same questions to Andreas Ralaert after he let Macca get away for the Kona win in 2010.....no one is accusing Macca of being the nicest guy in pro triathlon. He is engaging, charismatic, energetic, articulate and in your face, and many of us love him for that. But I don't think that fellow pros will accuse him of being the nice guy of pro triathlon.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Lance claims unfair treatment [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I don't believe he's been "treated unfairly."

This is just funny...

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    devashish_paul wrote:
    pick6 wrote:
    devashish_paul wrote:
    Ben, Dan,

I think it is totally irrelevant what Lance is motivated by. The rest of us can't do anything with the motivations of any human (well, if we are in charge of them, we can channel the motivation for a fruitful outcome, but none of us are in charge of Lance). What is important with him or anyone is the actions he/they take. Motivation is only an abstract catalyst inside someone's brain. Their actions are what the rest of the world experiences. I think we are in agreement on what actions he needs to take moving forward to help sport and clean the mess up. Trying to figure out his motivations are a waste of time. They don't really affect us. His actions do.

Dev

My point is his actions thus far don't prove anything has changed with him, and that there's no factual basis to defend Dan's opinion.

I agree, there have been no material actions to change the future YET. That's all we all want to see. The truth is fine and it can some out when it does. We just want actions to change the future. I don't really care what his personal motivations are (well, I do, but as I can't control his motivations, there is no point losing sleep over it...heck, I can't even influence what my son is motivated by....he is his own man and derives his motivations from things that make him click...)

The truth is the ONLY thing that matters. Without the truth, you can have no change. His actions all revolve around how much truth he'll reveal; I'm willing to believe for now that he's holding back stuff that he thinks is the most valuable for him to get the best deal. If he passes on the option to speak to USADA and instead looks to talk to UCI, that will tell us a lot. I dont believe for a second he wants truth; he wants only reconciliation and he's only willing to give enough truth to get that.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    We can have all the truth we want, but there have to be some actions that follow that to change anything. You and I don't need to know the truth although it would be nice. Some people in the sport and governing bodies do so that they can start the change process. Unless you are getting involved, it is somewhat irrelevant other than it making you feel better (which is fine, but that's not material to changing the sport for the better). Let's see some actions...from Lance from the UCI, from the rest of the postal crew who are really doing nothing. Actually I take that back. Michael Barry is doing something, here in Canada so that other kids don't end up having to face the same choice as him. What is Levi doing? What is George doing? What is Lance doing? For now I just see a big goose egg. I'm willing to give them some time to implement some kind of action plan.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    devashish_paul wrote:
    We can have all the truth we want, but there have to be some actions that follow that to change anything. You and I don't need to know the truth although it would be nice. Some people in the sport and governing bodies do so that they can start the change process. Unless you are getting involved, it is somewhat irrelevant other than it making you feel better (which is fine, but that's not material to changing the sport for the better). Let's see some actions...from Lance from the UCI, from the rest of the postal crew who are really doing nothing. Actually I take that back. Michael Barry is doing something, here in Canada so that other kids don't end up having to face the same choice as him. What is Levi doing? What is George doing? What is Lance doing? For now I just see a big goose egg. I'm willing to give them some time to implement some kind of action plan.

Im not talking about public truth, though I think that transparency would be required for that person to return to racing. I specifically talked about to authorities such as USADA. Vaughters, VDV, and DZ have been doing something as well as Michael Barry. I agree, Levi, lance, and george have barely even talked the talk let alone walk the walk. Vaughters has made sure he's got a clean development team (though due to funding that appears to be going away) VDV and DZ have been speaking out, though right now during the suspensions they're doing the right thing and just staying away. I will be interested to see what Tommy D does upon his return. he's the one garmin guy involved in this who hasn't done much IMO and has often said the wrong thing. David Millar, though not part of the postal mess, as much as he said some dumb shit before he got caught, especially to floyd, he's on the WADA AC, and he's been putting tough questions to UCI. That Vaughters gives these reformed guys a place to ride and that the other formal posties on his team both race under that set of rules and support him says they're doing stuff in the pro ranks to make it better.
    Quote Reply

Prev Next