Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pumping up a zipp super9
Quote | Reply
Just got the disc.. I see the crack pipe but how the hell do you use it with the small valve extender? It seems they do not interlock in any way.. do I just hold the adapter next to the valve and then pump.. wouldn't air escape?
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a zipp super9 [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hold it on the valve stem with one hand so that the air doesn't blow the Crack Pipe off. Pump with the other hand. Put your back into it.

The Zipp Crack Pipe connects to the Schrader side of your pump head if I'm not mistaken, but obviously works with Presta on the business end.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Jan 28, 13 13:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gasket on the crack pipe has to cover the entire presta valve and some of the valve stem in order for this to work, on the other end, the crack pipe needs to be fully engaged with your presta pump head.

This is easier with two people.
Last edited by: SWoo: Jan 28, 13 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a zipp super9 [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't have any friends, a high pressure 12v compressor allows using the crack pipe by yourself.
something like -
http://www.sears.com/...sName=Inflatorsmv=rr
Tha battery powered versions are more portable, but a CO2 cartridge is still needed for on the road inflation.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a zipp super9 [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
Hold it on the valve stem with one hand so that the air doesn't blow the Crack Pipe off. Pump with the other hand. Put your back into it.

The Zipp Crack Pipe connects to the Schrader side of your pump head if I'm not mistaken, but obviously works with Presta on the business end.

Great. I used the zipp crack pipe and was able to pump up the tire.. However. its hard as hell to tell how much PSI is in the tire because so much air is leaking out while I'm pumping.. How does everyone get around this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having the same issue with the Zipp crack pipe. I went back to the older style and was able to get a better gauge of the air pressure.

This is the same one I use and it works better than the zipp.

http://www.acmebicycleco.com/...l-inflation-adapter/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
Jamaican wrote:

Great. I used the zipp crack pipe and was able to pump up the tire.. However. its hard as hell to tell how much PSI is in the tire because so much air is leaking out while I'm pumping.. How does everyone get around this?

1) Attach the Crack Pipe to your pump head.
2) Screw down the head of the Crack Pipe until it's nice & tight. That way it will provide a good seal once you slide it on the valve stem.
3) Now align the valve stem in the 12:00 position.
4) Attach the Crack Pipe to the valve stem. Your palm should be on the top of the tire, while your fingers hold the head of the Crack Pipe securely on the valve stem.
5) When you pump (with the other hand), no air should escape. Pump to the required PSI.
6) When you're done, just let go of the Crack Pipe & it will fly off, then tighten the valve stem.

I'm half tempted to make a youtube vid ....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using the zipp valve extender. I think that's why it isn't as easy. I will try without valve extender!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need a valve extender for a Zipp disc? I don't know much about them, but isn't the cut-out shallow enough to use a regular tube, say 36mm stem?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a Super 9 on my TT bike and there is no need for a valve extender - in fact, I'm not sure one would fit even if you tried to use one. There is just enough room to get the crack pipe on a short (eg 36mm) valve stem and not a lot more. Honestly not sure how you could fit a valve stem in the cutout, and even if you did, the extender would end more or less at the top of the cutout, and you couldn't fit a crack pipe or anything else in there.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply