Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shiv Fitting Guru Question:
I am looking at getting a 2013 Shiv TT bike in a few months and I have a general sizing question. Using the 2012 Shiv sizing charts indicate that I am in between the L and XL (Pad Stack =648, Pad Reach=509, Frame Stack= 588. Frame Reach=436 determined by a recent Retul fit)
By using the chart, my 588 frame stack is closest to the 590 value listed for the frame stack of the XL while my pad stack of 648 is closest to the 650 listed under the L size. When looking at the Reach values I get a 436 frame reach which is right in the middle of the L and XL numbers listed (425 and 445). However the pad reach that Retul gave me was 509 which is higher than the short pad chart listing of 490.
Now that I am completely confused, I am not sure what the correct size would be for me. My uneducated guess would be go with the L and build it up. I ride a 58 Tarmac if that helps at all…..
Thank you for your thoughts
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dmaurich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmaurich wrote:
Is anyone running a Wheelbuilder disc cover on their Shiv Comp? If so, what measurements did you provide to WB to have your cover cut? There's not an option for a DT Axis 2.0 on their website..

Thanks!

I had one on mine.They have instructions on their website regarding how to take the proper measurements. Just follow their instructions and you should be fine.

EDITED to add photo.
Here is a photo of the old frame and wheels with the cover:

Last edited by: Philosoraptor: Jan 23, 13 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dmaurich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys, bought a Shiv Pro second hand, its my first TT bike and I'm super pleased with it, however, it didnt come witht the 2 smaller control towers and also the plate was missing that covers the cable routing under the BB, I assume the cable for the rear brake just pokes out of the corner when the plates attached, has anyone got any pics? Would i be able to source these from Specialized (Am in the UK)?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I was wondering if someone could help me – I own a Specialized Comp 2012 and have had two separate issues with the rear derailleur hanger.

It appears to be the REV4 Road Hanger

The Question

Can someone definitively tell me what size bolts are used to fix the rear derailleur hanger to the frame - are they metric and is it conceivable that there are imperial and metric versions of the same hangers. (i.e. could I have been supplied an Imperial threaded replacement hanger with mine being metric –or visa versa)

The Story

My Specialized Shiv was purchased in the UK and my wife has an S-Works Shiv purchased in Australia. We currently live in New Zealand.

The Shiv derailleur hanger is secured by two counter-sunk bolts that are quite small and, I think, too short.

My hanger worked its way loose, and, even though I have been "TOLD" that they are only there to locate the hanger until the wheel is locked in, I found that, even with the skewer quite tight, I was still getting some rotation of the derailleur around the axle.

I could see that there was possibly not enough Loctite on the thread, so I duly went out and purchased some and have had no issues since. I also bought an M3 S/S bolt from the local yacht chandlers with a view of cutting it down to size at a later date.

Ysterday morning, my wife changed her back wheel, and in doing so popped her hanger off the frame, doing some damage to her hanger threads.

We are competing next Saturday, and this is a short week in NZ so I felt I need to try to replace the hanger today (Saturday)

I have just returned from a Specialized store that I normally do not use where the Mechanic managed to make me feel like a complete imbecile after I voiced the opinion that I thought the bolts were a bit short.

To all you owners out there of the Triathlon Shiv 2012, have a look at where your hanger is bolted to your frame and tell me if you see any threads showing. Take into account just how thin the hanger is at that point and it doesn’t not take much to realise there is not a lot holding these on.

Now I have purchased a hanger from said mechanic which was taken from an existing bike for spares and I believe that the thread is different, or if not, it is damaged - sure, both hangers are stamped 7A and appear the same, but they are not identical and the bolt that came off the bike is in good condition. I can say that because I can still see the original Loctite on the threads. It spins in the new hanger.

So I am re-installing my wife’s old hanger with long bolts and will return the new hanger that doesn’t fit. What will then happen is that the Mechanic will tell me yet again just how many Shiv’s he has built up (against the two that I have been wrenching) and will probably argue that I damaged his hanger

H also told me point blank that the M3 bolt was the wrong size but, even under magnification I cannot tell the difference between the bolt that came off the bike and the one from the chandlers (except for the length)

Hence my question - any help greatly appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Boski51] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go with the L if you're going to use the stock aerobar. Changing the bar out is the only way you'd get the XL low enough to match you pad stack height.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [txdillard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone has a shiv pro frameset that they have changed the decal colors? I’d like to see what it look likes with the other colors.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [txdillard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply. The more people I talk too, the more I think the large is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [JMarkel9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kept mine stealth black with no decals. It's just to bad ass looking to put the stickers on.

JMarkel9 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has a shiv pro frameset that they have changed the decal colors? I’d like to see what it look likes with the other colors.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mallaire1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100% I de-stickered my wheels as well so that everything matches. I haven't figured out what to do with all the stickers yet.

mallaire1 wrote:
I kept mine stealth black with no decals. It's just to bad ass looking to put the stickers on.

JMarkel9 wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Sprint_DA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the pros were using the new fuel cell storage container at kona.....does anyone know when these will be available to mere mortals?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ebanks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't up on the Specialized b2b yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ebanks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ebanks2 wrote:
I know the pros were using the new fuel cell storage container at kona.....does anyone know when these will be available to mere mortals?

Last I heard was it would be "announced" when they announce their new products...in July.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve recently purchased a Shiv Pro 2012 edition and am loving the bike however I’m having real difficulty with the fuelsalage system. So far I have been unable to successfully install the bladder in the frame. I get about ¾ of the way in and then it starts to bunch up. I’ve seen the Spec clip on You Tube and have followed it as exactly as I can but without success. Reading through some of the posts on here the general consensus would appear to be the following:

1) Change the tube to a camelbak antidote.
2) Apply talc to the outside of the bladder before insertion.
3) Change the supplied magnet to a rare earth magnet (how is this attached, anyone with any pictures)

Does anyone have pictures of this revised set up or even better are there any videos on You Tube that show “normal” people installing the bladder? I’ve done a search but couldn’t find any.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I might have missed it in the 42 pages on this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Arcg1978] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done any of this. I only changed the bite valve itself for better flow. It's just one of those things that you have to get right or it will bunch and not go in. Once I got good at it, it became really easy to get the bladder in and out with zero issues. It's really easy. Use the tube to stabilize the bladder and make sure the bladder is stretched out along the tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arcg1978 wrote:
I’ve recently purchased a Shiv Pro 2012 edition and am loving the bike however I’m having real difficulty with the fuelsalage system. So far I have been unable to successfully install the bladder in the frame. I get about ¾ of the way in and then it starts to bunch up. I’ve seen the Spec clip on You Tube and have followed it as exactly as I can but without success. Reading through some of

It takes a few tries to figure out but once you get it right you never fail again. I found the trick is to push it diwn a lil hard, then blow air into it from the straw like a balloon. Then push it fine some more. When you blue air it fishes the bunching up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In reply to Arcg1978's problem with inserting the bladder- is it the bladder the larger of the two sizes and what size frame are you trying to insert it into

.My wife has an XS frame with the smaller bladder and has no problem, however I had great difficulty getting my larger bladder into a Large Frame.

I think my problem stemmed from the fact that I had replaced the original rear brake cable with an Alligator I-Link and wanted to keep the length as short as possible.

(The cable for a large Shiv is longer than the standard one - I have to use a Tandem cable) As a result I found that the internal tube that allows the brake cable to pass through the frame had shifted and was fouling the bladder - pretty much the same as you I would get it most of the way but then it would stick.

I maneuvered it to one side and found the problem cured. I now tend to fold the bladder in half lengthways as well which seems to help. I have just looked at my wifes S-Works and both tubes run pretty much down side by side where as mine lie one in front of the other.

I have a photo but cannot seem to load it - if you PM me I could possible send it to you that way

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [coxy_in_nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all thanks for the prompt response. I have a large frame and therefore assume it is a large bladder as well. I had a few more attempts last night at trying to get it in with some limited success. I can get it in but still have the bunching issue at the top; certainly doesn’t look like the one in the video with a nice wide opening. However I did manage to get about ¾ of a water bottle into it. I’m wondering if the tubing is part of the issue; it’s still fairly new and is trying to coil itself up all the time. Does the tube straighten out more after a period of time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arcg1978
Lets assume that your issue is the same as mine - having the advantage of having two bikes sourced from different countries to compare I can tell you what the differences are and where the problem might lie.

If you look down into the frame through the bladder opening you should see two opaque plastic tubes of different sizes. The smaller tube only carries the rear brake cable and exits the frame outside of the removable bottom bracket. The larger tube carries the rear derailleur and rear brake.

On my wife's bike, these tubes lie side by side and are pretty much hard up against the front wall of the carbon frame.
On my bike, the tubes do not lie side by side - instead the small tube lies behind large tube which effectively narrows the neck opening of the frame (and therefore space for the bladder). This - I believe is because I changed cables.

I have used the bladder twice in 6 months so I cannot comment on the behaviour of the tubes.

Have a look at your tube arrangement and see if the situation is as I have described. - If it is then this may be the source of your frustration.

I would be interested in reading what your situation is.

To be clear, the tubes I refer to are the internal ones that house the cables, not the Drinking tube.

I too had problems with the "coil" I addressed part of it by heating the tube in boiling water and then hanging it upside down and also rotated the tube so the natural coil directed the tube forward as it exited the rubber bung

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Milney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having the same problem.
I have tried Crazy Glue and Gorilla Glue. Neither is strong enough to hold the nut in when you clamp the seat post in.
Have you had any luck solving the problem.
Any one know of a stronger glue to use?

Milney wrote:
Hey guys have you come across the problem with the seat post nut coming out of the frame? I'm having trouble now putting enough pressure on it so as the seat post doesn't slip..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what size is that and what kind of stem are you using? I want to get the specialized aerobar/stem combo to match, as seen on their page. But not sure if they will fit as they are pretty flat and the body has the cable thing sticking out. I'm afraid the cable thing would be higher then the aero stem. If so, I'd rather get a "regular" stem and perhaps a pro missile as well. What do you think? http://www.specialized.com/...thlon-carbon-aerobar

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Boooo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Boooo

I have just sent mine back to my dealer as he reckons there is a fix coming from specilized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is it a pro or sworks?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jose1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly a Comp. I had a Comp. Changed bars and wheels then got a Pro frameset and swapped the components over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody in this thread taken off the Specialized Carbon Bar and might have it lying around for a purchase? I bought a Shiv Pro frameset, but to finish off the fit I could really use the bar...

Once we get that dialed on, I'll post some pictures.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next