Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alcatraz Nutrition
Quote | Reply
Just got the latest email update from race director, and it states the following

A note about gels... We do NOT allow gels on course. This is due to strict rules in the local, State and National Parks where we swim, bike, and run. We do allow more solid items such as Energy Chomps and Energy Bars, but there is NO LITTERING on course and if you are caught, you are subject to a disqualification. Please help us keep San Francisco clean so they will continue to allow up to hold this race in their beautiful city.

Now, I have always used gels, so I guess I better try something else for this race.....
Or, do they really keep strict eye on gel use????
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz Nutrition [kmowlam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, if gels are not allowed, regardless of the reason, anyone using them would be CHEATING! Correct?

But, if I mix a gel with water, is it still a gel? What about gel filled energy chomps / cubes. They have gel in them so are they still gels? What if I take 2 or 3 gels before the course starts - they are still in my stomach when I'm on course - does that make me a cheat as well? What if I've pushed too hard on the bike and my legs feel like Jello on the run - do I have to stop until they don't feel like a gel or am I immediately DQ'd?

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The whole purpose is that gels are discarded (because there's really no other way to keep a gel w/o the wrapper) and it causes litter.

Just throw some gel gummies in your bento box and don't sweat it. Or mix gel with water in a bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just put your gel wrappers in your bento box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why they make gel bottles for. Pre-fill with 4-5 gels if you need and keep on bike, or in back jersey pocket.

If you don't want to do that, I remember there being a waterbottle with a gel bottle inside. Called like a gel-bot or something weird. If you open to first click of bottle, you get gel. 2 clicks is a mix of water and gel.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz Nutrition [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
The whole purpose is that gels are discarded (because there's really no other way to keep a gel w/o the wrapper) and it causes litter.

Just throw some gel gummies in your bento box and don't sweat it. Or mix gel with water in a bottle.

I never got this. I carry the gel into a race in a pocket. Empty gel packet and tab go back in same pocket. They don't need to be discarded. I've even shoved them up the legs of the trisuit on occasion.
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz Nutrition [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how I do it too. Sadly, we're in the minority.

Most people scourge down the gels and then off to the side of the road it goes. In a national park - that's a big no-no.
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz Nutrition [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Purpose doesn't matter, they have stated:

Quote:
We do NOT allow gels on course.

Therefore, having Gels in the course is cheating.

They do not reference Gel containers, simply that gels are not allowed. Therefore, if you use a gel in any fashion you have an advantage over people that play by the rules which constitutes cheating and you should be DQ'd.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that a new rule? Because I've done the race 3 or 4 times and never heard that and plenty of people ate gels.

I wouldn't think they could ban a specific form of nutrition, could they? Because it's arbitrary. Like lots of people have said: obviously, you could mix it in a bottle and then it's no longer a gel, but a drink, so does that violate this rule? Because the rule specifies that they are banning gels because they go through parks, what if you only eat your gel in transition, is that a violation? What if you take the gel and pour into a plastic container that you carry with you the whole time, is that a violation? How do you define gel -- how solid or liquid does a food item have to be?

It's too stupid and arbitrary.

If littering is the problem, why not have very strict littering penalties. It's not hard to just stick the empty gel packet back into your jersey or pocket until you get to an aid station. When you create rules that are that ridiculous and tough to enforce (are they going to follow everyone and see what they're eating at all times) it calls into question all your rules and makes people suspect that they can get away with more. 'Well, they probably won't enforce this rule, because it's dumb, so maybe they won't enforce other rules...'

I feel like they're going to have a hard time making this rule stick. And, I bet they know it. They probably just put it in there because the parks/city demanded it. Bad move.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz Nutrition [kellydomara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think its a big deal, so many other products can do the trick

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Alcatraz Nutrition [stef32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, no it's not a big deal. Just dumb.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply