Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

memorial tattoos
Quote | Reply
anyone have any examples of memorial tattoos that arent cheesy looking?

my daughter recently told me that she wants to get a tattoo to memorialize her mom. i told her that if she still wants it in 3 years then i would buy it for her on her 18th birthday.

i suggested she come up with something far in advance to make sure she could live with the design forever. she wants my help to come up with something so i thought i would hit you brainiacs up for some ideas.

lets hear them .

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: memorial tattoos [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sister and I are supposed to get matching pink ribbon tattoos to commemorate our mother's surviving breast cancer. We haven't yet, been to busy.

Getting back into the game...
Slower than you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this count?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few ideas:
  • http://pinterest.com/emembrance/memorial-tattoos/
  • type in Google "memorial tattoo designs for women" or "tattoo to remember mom" and select images to get an idea of what others have done.
  • Also, you daughter can bring in images that remind her of her mom and give to the artist. The tattoo artist can come up with a custom design that combines the visuals.

Make sure you take the time to look through the tattoo artists portfolio and don't feel pressure if they give you a design and are not feeling it.
Quote Reply
Re: memorial tattoos [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Does this count?

Until I noticed "Roll Tide," I thought that it was Frank Sinatra

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: memorial tattoos [bcart1991] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcart1991 wrote:
My sister and I are supposed to get matching pink ribbon tattoos to commemorate our mother's surviving breast cancer. We haven't yet, been to busy.

I think that's a great idea. Seen quite a few working with cancer patients and lots of younger women with breast ca. They come back in with a family member for a follow up and show the tat. It always makes me smile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What ever happened to the picture in the wallet?
Quote Reply
Re: memorial tattoos [Paddywhack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paddywhack wrote:
What ever happened to the picture in the wallet?

tattoos have been around for millenia longer than photos in wallets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just don't send her to this guy,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to start with a google search of memorial tattoos, with her present. I'm guessing the overwhelming majority will look unflattering to her. Then remind her that tattoos are, essentially, for life.

A former classmate had a pink ribbon, of appropriate scale and anatomical placement, on her left foot, memorializing her mother. It looked very nice, and covered up anytime she wore shoes (with the exception of sandals). Scale, placement and orientation relative to anatomy, and concealability are huge factors to consider.

And pick something unique, other than the usual date & name routine. Something specific to her, or their relationship, that mostly conceal the fact that it's a tribute tattoo. Subtlety over the truck rear window sticker approach, if you know what I mean.

Edit: it should go without saying, but NEVER get a portrait. Ever.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 24, 13 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't gotten it yet but when I eventually do I will post a pic. The tattoo will be of St. Christopher, the patron saint of travelers, and will likely incorporate my children's names. A tribute to my mother who passed away in October of 2010 from cancer. She wore a medallion of St. Christopher my grandmother gave her for as long as I can remember. She gave me one when I was young.

Memorial tattoos, more than any other tattoo, are deeply personal in meaning to the wearer yet subject to the same criticism as any other. If she finds a particular genre she likes, such as portrait, then seek out those who specialize in that particular type. For every genre there are several who are revered as experts. Look at Kat Von D's portraiture work, it's amazing. Of course she is a pop culture icon now, but he work stands on its own.

Given the special meaning of such a tattoo a trip to an artist who specializes in that type of work make it that much more special. Be prepared to spend $150-$200/hr for good custom work. And it is customary to tip in addition to the price of the art. When it comes to tattoo art you get what you pay for, invest the money in a good artist and she will wear a piece of art she is likely to be happy with forever.

----------------------------------------------------

Formally azclydesdale, back in Northeast Ohio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, now the real advice.

Is there a flower that her mom liked? A symbol of some sort? Something like that.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did she like cats?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: memorial tattoos [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Ok, now the real advice.

Is there a flower that her mom liked? A symbol of some sort? Something like that.

Her moms middle name was rose. Also her favorite flower. She doesnt want to be another girl with a rose tattoo though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A traditional "Sailor Jerry" style sparrow is a typical but, IMO, timeless memorial tattoo. Chrysanthemums are considered a memorial flower and if done correctly, they can look fantastic. That said, anything can be a memorial tattoo—sometimes just the act of getting a tattoo makes you remember and can give a sense of closure. Tattoo posts are always tricky because usually within a few responses you get people who would never get a tattoo complaining about how tattoos are lame, too permanent, or will leave you with regrets. I have had my tattoos for nearly 15 years now and I love all of them—plan to get another one later this year. Some commemorate a special time in my life while others are just because I wanted one.
My advice when it gets closer, get some tattoo magazines and go to someone whose work really means something to you. People don't regret tattoos, they regret bad tattoos. Bad tattoos look good the first week you get them, but then deteriorate quite quickly. The worst tattoos look crappy from the moment you get them and just get worse. If you live in a big city, you may have an easier finding someone who is really good. Don't take the advice of any random friends who have tattoos—look at a lot of tattoos before you decide what kind and who you want tattooing you. For my first tattoo, I had no idea what could be done because I saw so many crappy tattoos so I ended up just going to the local shop that everyone ranted and raved about. That tattoo is special because it was my first, but it is my least favorite one artistically. After that I really did my homework and didn't limit myself to the local scratchers and really looked for people that I considered real artists. Remember, once its there, it is there forever. I recommend going to a custom shop rather than just getting a piece of flash off the wall..again $100-$200 an hour is typical.For a woman, consider the placement of the tattoo and ask yourself if the tattooer has a style you like. For example, some women have very feminine pretty tattoos and look fantastic on them while in the hands of a lesser artist, they end up looking cheap, masculine, or too bold. The arm seems like a great idea because it seems coverable, but then when your 30 and need to go to a formal work event that might require a dress...pretty soon you are limited on the dresses you might be able to wear.

Here are some examples of artists that I would consider highly and might give you some ideas:

http://black13tattoo.com/...rtist=amandaleadman/
http://www.tomrenshaw.com
http://www.plurabella.com/tattoos/
Last edited by: gj: Jan 24, 13 18:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Ok, now the real advice.

Her moms middle name was rose. Also her favorite flower. She doesnt want to be another girl with a rose tattoo though.

Well, here you go:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mom passed away from Huntington's Disease and I got the logo for HDSA and am going to have some writing put on as well. This was done to honor my mother and raise awareness of HD.

My daughter is getting a tattoo of a daisy which was my mom's favorite flower.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply