Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foot numbness?
Quote | Reply
Any time I run over 2 miles (forgive my noobness, I'm just now working up to my first half marathon) my right foot goes super-painful numb. I switched from normal laces to Yankz, and have since loosened them till my shoe is practically falling off - all to no avail.

Does anyone have thoughts or advice before I bug my doctor? I'm otherwise pretty healthy (5'5", 138, no illness and non-smoker) but this is getting so bad I had to turn around today.

Thanks in advance!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot numbness? [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious about the type of shoes you're in & how old are they? Not sure if that's playing a role or not but maybe.

My mind immediately thinks neuroma but I'm not sure if that makes sense & I have ABSOLUTELY no basis for that. I'm a swimmer....ask me about shoulder pain.

I was just going to reassure you on the running....I'm re-starting from scratch essentially myself, having only run a couple times since last spring. Everyone here started somewhere & we're not the judging type...we're the encouraging ones who learn together.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Foot numbness? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouragement - after stalking The Womens for a few weeks, I realized it would be a wonderful community to help me embrace this awesome new sport.

I'm wearing Asics GT-2160's and they have (otherwise) been very good to my feet. I've had them about 3 months and have put no more than 50 miles on them, though I do wear them for spin class, too. The only other time I've had problems with foot numbness is when using an elliptical machine - no clue why it treats me differently.

I'll make sure to come back to you when I focus more on the swimming - this last week was FREEZING - 28-38 degrees every day - and I was a wimp about going out tot he pool. My first triathlon is in April and the swim is just a half mile, so I'm not too worried about that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ongoing numbness problems in my right foot, too. The combination of numbness, foot drop, and leg swelling sent me to the sports med doctor, saying I thought I had ex-induced compartment syndrome. After telling me to quit reading the Internet, he sent me for compartment testing and ultimately surgery. However, years of compression led to an odd nerve pattern in that leg (surgeon was bewildered), and the only symptom not cured by the surgery was occasional numbness when I run. When it is bad, I tend to limp, and that not surprisingly leads to achilles problems in the other, compensating leg. I also show wear on the outside of the right sole (Newton runner, I wear down the outside lug flat), but not the left.

For me, the problem seems to originate in the lateral compartment (peroneal nerve and muscles); it's exercise-induced (no nerve conduction problem when not exercising, according to neurologist), and worse on severely crowned streets. I think swim fins also may make it worse. Stretching helps and ankle rotations/range of motion exercises, also ironically running more often. But, it's definitely worth it to bug the doctor -- if it is something important, better to know now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome and congrats on the training!

Sorry to hear about the numbness....a few questions:
Does only part of your foot go numb?
If so: what part: top/bottom, big toe side/little toe side, only one or two toes, front of the foot, back of the foot.
Any pain in the lower leg or ankle?
Any history of back, hip, pelvic pain?
Did someone put you in the Asics or did you choose them?

Your numbness sounds like some sort of nerve entrapment, the issue is trying to find out where! It could be anywhere from your low back to your ankle.
Feel free to PM me with answers if you prefer!

Good luck!

Re: Foot numbness? [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The numbness begins in my toes and works up to my entire foot if I keep running. I think little toe inward, but not 100% sure. Very little ankle pain - usually a tiny bit when I start running, then it goes away. Threw out my back in college from biking to school with a too-heavy backpack, but haven't had anything other than well-earned soreness since. I was fitted to the Asics at Sports Basement by a woman who analyzed my gait/cadence and seemed quite expert. The only other pain I have on a regular basis is calf cramping, but that has improved radically as I continue to run more frequently.

Sincerely appreciate the help!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So please obviously know this is a bit of a guessing game without seeing you, but my top two things would be:
1) peroneal (otherwise known as fibular) nerve entrapment
2) or it is actually coming from your back.

The shoes *shouldn't* be too much of an issue except that often people tend to over correct what they see. I am not a barefoot running person (except that it has been great for business), but the one thing the barefoot craze has done is bring attention to the fact that we don't have to correct everything we see. So you pronate when you walk, some pronation is normal. Do you pronate when you run, run at speed, are running fatigued? We have to take this and the musculature of your foot into account. From what I understand the 2160 is not a massive correction shoe - so may not be the main culprit.

My recommendations would be:
Stretch your calves: good old runners stretch (gastric stretch) - then same position bend your back knee (soleus stretch)
Stretch your hamstrings
Stretch your piriformis (pidgin pose-ish in yoga)
roll out with foam roller or stick the outside of your leg - ITB and fibular muscles.

I can send you picture if you want - just send along your email!

Good luck!

Quote | Reply
Never had any problems while running but my feet nearly kill me during spin class because they are so numb.
Quote Reply