Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best tubular tires
Quote | Reply
I know the GP4000s are very good clinchers.. what are some of the best tubular tires?

How is the tangente tubulars? fast? about about flat resistant?
Last edited by: 125mph: Jan 16, 13 20:18
Quote Reply
Re: Best tubular tires [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vittoria evo cx, vittoria evo sc, vittoria pave

FMB if you want fancy tires for your Roubaix style race
Quote Reply
Re: Best tubular tires [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I avoid the vittoria evo cx now due to delicacy and lack of grip and lack of aerodynamic shape.

the conti gp4000 is still decent even though it lacks latex tubes.

this is a reversal of my previous opinions.

there are probably some better options but I'm not familiar with them.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Best tubular tires [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack, what do you use?

or do you primarily ride your Jet6 (or is it Jet9) these days?
Quote Reply
Re: Best tubular tires [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I am on our good wheels, I'm on GP 4000S clinchers. Usually pick the new shape Jet 6 over the old shape Jet 9 for the front wheel. If wind is very low I will sometimes use the old narrow jet 9 with a 19mm aerowing tire on it.

SuperSonic front if it is a TT with clean/smooth road surface

considering switching to the Attack as my TT front tire of choice regardless of road surface.

We do have a set of tubulars that one of us uses (usually me) if the wife and I both race at the same time. Currently have Zipp Tangente's on them, but plan to do some research and see if there are some faster options to go with next time. Maybe one of the Bontragers.

The Vittoria CX I always noticed lacking grip usually when braking for turnarounds, and more recently a team mate crashed twice in rainy duathlons on them. One of the tour magazine reviews gave them poor marks for grip as well. Not a big deal in a dry time trial but the bad aero numbers aren't good either.

echappist wrote:
Jack, what do you use?

or do you primarily ride your Jet6 (or is it Jet9) these days?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Jan 16, 13 20:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as road racing or just fiiiiine riding tubulars go:
If you've got money to burn, the higher end Veloflex tubulars are amazing.

If you've got plenty of money, Schwalbe Ultremo HTs are my fantastic (my personal jam, deals are findable for +/-60 ea)

if you don't have much money but want tubulars, go Kenda Super Domestique or Schwalbe Durano

If you are worried about the aero properties of your tires profile & all that, it is a whole different can of worms.
Tyre width can change a lot based on what rim width you have, but generally narrower is better. Latex tubes are going to be much better than butyl, all the nicer tubulars will have them, the cheaper ones won't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would definitely roll a Veloflex Record on the rear, and despite the unaero claims for a front I might still consider it for the front as well. Looks like Conti has an Attack/Force combo in tubular for 2013, that could be very good, otherwise I would go with the Podium TT up front and may even consider it for the rear if you want a more durable tire.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Conti Sprinters for all arounders, I train on them using liquid sealant and they are pretty round and roll well enough for a non-picky rider. The Vittoria are a really nice riding tire with a softer tread compound. I never buy anything more expensive. For a more downmarket tire, I'm bonkers about the Specialized Espor. It's vulcanized, round, fairly fat and nice and cheap, I think the cost is in the high 20's. With sealant they make a great daily driver and I'd race on them too, but I'm not all pro and shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on the conti competitions?

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big big fan of the Conti Competitions..not the best rolling resistance but I favor a better amount of durability over that..plus now they have a 25MM sized Comp..I just wish they'd make a verion of the Comp in a clincher too, but run the GP4000S on my clinchers..

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwalbe Ultremo HT's are great racing tubulars. They are fairly durable, but have low rolling resistance and use a latex tube. Also, the manufacturing quality is really good and they are almost as perfect as Continental tubulars in not having humps or imperfections.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tubular tires [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been rolling Conti Comps since last summer. 23s and 25s, fitted to my Zipp Firecrest 404's and 808's. Even the chubby 25s blend nicely to the FC profile and ride really supple. The Competitions are very puncture resistant too, as you mentioned. After flatting twice within 15 minutes during a HIM in July 2012 on 23mm Zipp Tangentes, I wouldn't ever go back.

I don't notice any loss in speed. In fact I think I'm a bit faster overall because I'm riding more comfortably on the Conti's. I find them really nice on a technical course too because they grip really well. IMO, they're the best all-round rubber for the average Joe/Jane. On perfect pavement with nothing twisty or hard braking zones, maybe one of the more fragile tires is the way to go, but in the real world where I train and race at least, it just isn't like that.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Best tubular tires [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx. I got some time on them last year and liked them, but my overall experience is limited.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea on the aero gain of a GP4000 tubular vs the CRR loss due to butyl tube when compared to a Vittoria Evo CX.

Owning both of these tires, the Vittorias feel more plush (maybe?), but especially with the a disc, being able to pump up my tires the night before a race makes my race morning much better.

I would love to hear that it's a wash, but I think my current setup of the Evo CX on front (21mm on old Zipp 404) and GP4000 on rear (old Zipp 900) may be the WORST of both worlds.

/kj

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best tubular tires [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't have an answer to your actual question, but wanted to mention if you want the latex tubes to hold air over night, the cafe latex is a great product. It will self seal a nasty gash and allow you to finish the race on a fairly hard tire. The injector allows you to use it with non removable valve cores. I like to throw sealant in all my tires right out of the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tubular tires [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djmercer wrote:
I've been rolling Conti Comps since last summer. 23s and 25s, fitted to my Zipp Firecrest 404's and 808's. Even the chubby 25s blend nicely to the FC profile and ride really supple. The Competitions are very puncture resistant too, as you mentioned. After flatting twice within 15 minutes during a HIM in July 2012 on 23mm Zipp Tangentes, I wouldn't ever go back.

I don't notice any loss in speed. In fact I think I'm a bit faster overall because I'm riding more comfortably on the Conti's. I find them really nice on a technical course too because they grip really well. IMO, they're the best all-round rubber for the average Joe/Jane. On perfect pavement with nothing twisty or hard braking zones, maybe one of the more fragile tires is the way to go, but in the real world where I train and race at least, it just isn't like that.

Dave

I have the 22's (their claimed size) on my Easton EC90tt's I feel comfortable with them for all around tri racing. I tried the GP4000's and they seemed good too. But, I'm back to comps. I just wish they put latex tubes in 'em.

Admittedly, I'm not making a living doing this stuff, so, likely there are faster tires. But, even if I could change a flat fast (and I can w/clinchers) I wouldn't feel safe after that. Of course if I've only got 1k to go it wouldn't make any difference, but with my luck I'd puncture leaving the transition area!

Good luck

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply