Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brett Sutton Article [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would canada do anything? would they close the border to someone with a criminal record? i m not sure what the law says on this?

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: Jan 12, 13 20:18
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
you wrote

"it was a failure of morality"

ok

a temporary one that deserves forgiveness, or a seminal character flaw that deserves eternal damnation?

I have no insight into the person that Sutton is today so I can not say if it was a single act he would never repeat or an act he would do again if he could. More importantly, I have no desire to get to know Sutton well enough to make that distinction. There are some acts people commit which will forever change my opinion of them. Lack of forgiveness and an unwillingness to look past those transgressions are my personal flaws. And ones I am okay with.

There is nothing special about Sutton for me. Some have felt motivated to get to know him better and I can see where a pro triathlete would have such a motivation. Personally though, there are over a million sex offenders in the world. I don't have the time or inclination to get to know all of them and I don't have any reason to get to know any particular one. I don't hate Sutton any more or less than I hate any other sex offender. When it comes to child molesters, I find them all equally despicable.
Last edited by: Yknot: Jan 12, 13 19:52
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He replied to you because you asked another poster what they planned to do about Sutton and asked if they "we're going to cry or just type on your keyboard". So my guess is this poster replied to you because of your vaguely antagonistic question to the other poster.

I can disagree with Jordan on this subject but still maintain some respect for him. At this point I can't say the same about you. Your defensiveness and antagonistic behavior is very off-putting.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In short, he both coaches minors and has worked his way into a position of power and authority over them.

I'm replying to this statement which I respectfully need to describe as incorrect on two accounts:

1. Brett Sutton does NOT coach any minors on any of our teamTBB country team's, whether in The Philippines or Mexico or any country where we operate as all these country teams have a dedicated teamTBB country coach appointed who resides in the country and trains and coaches the youth elite program and youth development program.

2. Brett Sutton is also NOT in a position of power and authority as he spends a minimum of time in these countries as he wishes to spend as much time with his family in Switzerland and in fact he is in a hand-over mode of his coaching expertise to the next generation of champion coaches.

All professional athletes directly coached by Brett (also reducing in numbers), are at minimum 18 years old, but typically well past 20 year in practice.

For the record: Our mission is and has been from the start of this project to improve the lives of youth around the world by providing hope and opportunity through sports.

I picked the sport of triathlon as our vehicle of choice as this sport has one unique feature over most other sports that everyone who completes a triathlon is a winner, you don't have to actually win the race.

Tennis, soccer, Formula 1 and ping pong don't offer that feature, as there always will be a winner in the end.

We are not about winning, we are about being the best we can be in what ever we do in our lives as an athlete or human being.

We currently are focussed within the teamTBB program on building a pool of coaches who are applying the teamTBB coaching method to the various levels of athletes we coach (i.e. youth development, youth elite and professionals) and in the process Brett Sutton is moving further to the background and will step away from any coaching completely in the process.

All our professional athletes are aware that less and less of them will be directly coached by Brett Sutton, but by our successful country coaches.

With great sadness to those working closely with Brett, Brett's physical health does not allow him to coach much longer. Just browsing through this thread, I can only anticipate some of your comments who will welcome his sickness for the mistakes he made in the past.

All teamTBB sponsors and partners are a 100% aware and in agreement with this approach of coaching our various programs including the minors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is on par with Graham James in my opinion

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes,. that was a very sad story.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before Alex Bok comes on here and gives us the spin that Brett isn't working directly with minors, or that he's constantly supervised when he is--let's consider Sutton's involvement from the perspective of an underprivileged 16 year old girl from the Philippines, Brazil, or Mexico.

She's just been given a dream opportunity to be on a triathlon team...maybe a one-chance dream of a lifetime. She also knows that her immediate coach (presumably not Brett), or the head coach (Brett) could have her removed from the team at any time for any reason. That is the power that coaches have over their team. And the vast majority of all coaches use that power judiciously and with great ethical restraint.

But this is why we don't put convicted child molesters in positions of power over children, even if they don't officially have direct supervision or contact. And even if Mr. Bok would not permit Sutton to cut a minor from the team with no valid reason, the 16 year old girl does not know that. Which is one reason that children are so vulnerable to manipulation and predation by those who have authority over them.

Again, I'm not accusing Sutton of having done anything wrong with the minors in the TBB programs. But there are overwhelmingly clear reasons why he should have absolutely no power or authority over them.

There are reasons why TBB has operated in Thailand and the Philippines and Brazil and now Mexico. I suspect it's because authorities in Australia, Britain, Canada and the U.S. would never let Sutton near minors. I also suspect that it's because the other countries may not consider 16 year-olds to be minors. That may explain the Switzerland choice, also.

Read the 2002 story in the Observer Guardian called "Every Parent's Nightmare". It has detailed coverage of his crimes. But here's a part relevant to his current involvement with youth:
I ask if he [Sutton] protects himself in any way from further charges of abuse. 'I don't coach anyone under 16,' he says. Asked why 16, he replies: 'It's the age of consent. My lawyer told me. That way, no one can say I am a paedophile.' Later, when I interview Sutton formally, he watches over his charges, who include a 16-year-old girl whom Sutton's father - a retired swim coach - has brought over from Australia.

From further reading of the TBB website, and Sutton's own blog, it appears he is starting to remove himself from coaching professionals in 2013. It sounds like it's so he can focus his efforts on TBB's youth development programs in Asia and South America.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Bok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Sutton's recent tweet about his interaction with the Cozumel Elite Youth program was a fabrication. Glad we've cleared that up.

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Mad Jee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i see, i didnt get that at all. Now it make sence.

as for you, well, i think you made i clear that you judged me a long time ago. I dont think at this point your feeling towards me are important to me

I cant have everyone like me,

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue I have is that even their team management seems to muddy the waters when they talk about "coaching". The CEO and prez of Alaska Milk Corp (this is the team pic with Sutton and several under 18 athletes). is quoted as saying, "Obviously having a top caliber coach in Brett Sutton helps make this goal a real possibility ." (in reference to getting Filipino athletes a chance at international success).

http://www.teamtbb.com.ph/the-team

So I guess my question is, what type of clarity can they provide from a situation like this. If he's not "coaching", what is the purpose of him being around in team photos and around under 18 athletes in a triathlon forum?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not as long as you bike faster than me!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe...not sure of individual case details, but there are a lot of shades of grey on this one.

I work with these guys on a weekly basis. The difference between a guy who anally rapes his niece/nephew with a knife is a lot worse than a curious diddler.

Where does Sutton/James fall into the spectrum... ask Theo - or ????

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But hey, "integrity" is one of their core values, "Our integrity is what keeps us together. This means having respect for all partners of the team and being able to trust each other under all circumstances. That implies honesty among all team members “on and off the pitch”. We will maintain the highest ethical standards."

Trust each other under all circumstances...except, you know, leaving our head coach alone with minors.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Bok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've neglecting answering a few critical questions, so I'll ask them directly:
  1. Has Sutton's role with TBB ever brought him into contact with those under the age of 18? Please describe those circumstances.
  2. The TBB press releases about the youth teams in the Philippines and Mexico all stress Brett's role as the head coach. Are you saying that, as head coach, he has no authority or power over the team?
  3. Sutton's blog suggests that he'll be working a lot more with TBB's youth scholarship/development/education programs. If so, would this place him in contact with children under 18?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TBB's statement above talks about their mission to help youth. Why the hell would anyone in their right mind ever consider partnering or using the services of a convicted child molester in any aspect of the program, even in name involvement only? There are plenty of other highly qualified individuals who I'm sure would be happy to offer their services. Just like Jordan's continued defense of Sutton has completely destroyed the respect I had for him before this, that PR puff piece above destroys any credibility TBB had for me. Just the fact that they can defend Sutton and talk about their youth program together is all kinds of wrong.

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went back and reread Marsh's initial post and it is even worse than I thought.

Sentences relating his thoughts/feelings about what Sutton did: 1

"So, why am I writing this? I don't know. I know exactly where I stand on things related to Brett Sutton."

That's it. I think that's kinda wishy washy. And where do you stand exactly? Couldn't find that in the post.

Sentences extolling the virtues of Sutton: pretty much the entire rest of the post.

Brett is the glue that holds things together. He goes out of his way to warn other coaches. He treats his athletes great.

He is a steward of the sport of triathlon. But apparently not of his underage athletes.

And whining that triathletes aren't decrying swim coach pervs.

This is what I was responding to when I criticized your post.

I am glad that he now agrees with Rappstar's assessment but on a thread that is discussing Sutton's history of sexually molesting a 14 y.o. I didn't see much that Marsh was doing other than coming to the defense of his apparent coaching muse.

Disappointing.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to call up Sheldon Kennedy and see what he thinks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
He is on par with Graham James in my opinion

From the Graham James Wikipedia page:

James pleaded guilty to 350 sexual assaults against the two players, and was sentenced to three and a half years in jail. He was paroled in 2001. The players referred to whomever James targeted as "Graham's new favourite." James was charismatic and consistently successful as a coach. Even during his investigation, he was able to secure character references from respected hockey people and former players. He claimed that his relationship with Sheldon Kennedy was consensual and it was not illegal or immoral

...James was given a lifetime ban from coaching by the Canadian Hockey Association. When the CHA learned that James was coaching in Spain, it complained to European ice hockey officials, and he was fired.

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
But this is why we don't put convicted child molesters in positions of power over children, even if they don't officially have direct supervision or contact. And even if Mr. Bok would not permit Sutton to cut a minor from the team with no valid reason, the 16 year old girl does not know that. Which is one reason that children are so vulnerable to manipulation and predation by those who have authority over them.

The only coach with “coaching authority” over our youth development and youth elite athletes, is the country coach. Brett Sutton does not need or desire any authority, as he simply would never want to make a decision over a development athletes as we are not about creating winners. His desire is to retire after leaving a group of young champion coaches, and he simply sees himself as their mentor. We are about providing hope and opportunity to struggling pro’s since the start of our team in 2007 already and if a development athlete learns something about swimming and respecting his fellow athletes and refraining from violence at all times and never ever get involved in drugs, our mission is successful!

Why would we want to “fire” someone from our squad, if we know they simply do their best?

In The Philippines one 17 year old girl left our team in 2012, as she wanted to join the National Swim squad. No problem for us, we accepted her decision and all was handled on country level.

Quote:
Again, I'm not accusing Sutton of having done anything wrong with the minors in the TBB programs. But there are overwhelmingly clear reasons why he should have absolutely no power or authority over them.

Thank you for the little respect provided to Brett Sutton for having coached for more than 20 years after the dramatic mistakes he made and extensively discussed on this forum, without one repeat offence committed ever, while hundreds if not thousands of male and female athletes have been coached by Brett on a daily basis during that same period. Some people do show great remorse for mistakes made and learn from the pain this has caused both their victim and themselves in the process and trust me if I tell you, Brett has taken the burden for it upon himself for the rest of his live.

Key point on a belief I have and will share to those who question why I work with Brett Sutton.

Any emotional or physical challenge we experience in our lives can be resolved if we can truly reach a place in our heart where we can forgive those that committed sins to us our loved onces, or people we know and in the process the world will become a better place.

Many years before I met my wife, she was a victim of many years of sexual, physical and emotional abuse. She healed herself and currently operates a practice helping other such victims. She has experienced herself and with her clients also great success, that healing can only take place when the victim is able to forgive, no matter how contradicting that might sound, the abuser, as otherwise the abuser will always retain a continued power over the victim.

The nightmares, pain and fear victims continue to experience in their lives, are totally understandable and must always be totally respected at all times, but as long as we empower the abuser with our anger, fear, pain and what ever other emotional state, then this abuser still influences the happiness and quality of our lives.

This all has very little to do with triathlon, but with a profound insight and proven facts by many people who were able to let go of the past, who could forgive those that hurt them in their life, as that lead to an increased level of happiness and the ability to "move on with life" as otherwise the victim could face even bigger challenges in the future for holding on to all that pain.

Letting go of the pain, letting go of the anger and finding “peace” in what has happened and was so very wrong, can be one of the biggest revelations and ways to healing for any one who has gone through such extreme painful experience.

My wife has met Brett Sutton prior to me proceeding to work with him after a 3 months in-depth study of his case and past. As a victim for more 6 six years herself, she strongly recommended me to work with Brett as she took one hour of talks as a women and ex-victim herself to figure out this man has a great heart and despite his terrible offence, he too deserves a life and for some people to provide forgiveness for him to move on with his life.

I sincerely hope that any victim on this forum, will accept I truly regret what happened to you and I totally respect and honor you for your courage to continue your life and speak out against those that have hurt you or similar offenders. No words can describe the pain for those who have experienced this, I know first hand.

But please accept, I have seen the power of forgiveness in the person I love most, who was abused for 6 years under the most extreme circumstances. Once she was able to forgive all involved in her ordeal, she finally was able to move on with her life as she verbally, emotionally and spiritually forgave her abusers and attackers, and as a result she is one of the happiest person's I know. After years of further studies and working with experts all over the world, she now successfully helps other victims to experience the same happiness and release of pain.

I agree with all on this forum, that people who violated such level of trust with a minor in a coaching position, should not be coaching minors, so there is no disagreement there at all.

Quote:
There are reasons why TBB has operated in Thailand and the Philippines and Brazil and now Mexico. I suspect it's because authorities in Australia, Britain, Canada and the U.S. would never let Sutton near minors. I also suspect that it's because the other countries may not consider 16 year-olds to be minors. That may explain the Switzerland choice, also.

Again, with full respect for your comment, but the assumption you are making is truly 100% incorrect. My business was based in Asia at the start, and hence our training camps were therefore organized in Asia. I live in Thailand with my wife, who is Dutch also.

We have launched teamTBB country teams in the USA, UK, Japan and Germany and the selection of our country team’s is made based on having a country title sponsor / partner and the local support to start our social programs.

Not once EVER, have I made a decision to stay away from country or open in a specific country based on the history of Brett Sutton!

Quote:
From further reading of the TBB website, and Sutton's own blog, it appears he is starting to remove himself from coaching professionals in 2013. It sounds like it's so he can focus his efforts on TBB's youth development programs in Asia and South America.

On doctor’s advise Brett is removing himself from not only his coaching work at teamTBB, but also from extensive travel and stressful environments. This means Brett will be increasingly operating as an advisor only in the background and do seminars and talks in our regional training hubs. At the same time, given his health situation, he wishes to spend more time with his wife, their two little daughters and three kids from his first marriage. I guess for him to therefore share his views about sports and kids on our website, based entirely on what he experiences with his own two daughters, seem fine to me.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by kennyDalglish [ In reply to ]
Re: Brett Sutton Article [ironpsych] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a disgrace that anyone can defend or associate with this convicted child molester.

"The first offence occurred when the swimmer was staying at Sutton's house, and the coach joined her in bed. 'She states that she was very scared and didn't know how to handle the situation and she knew it was wrong,' the prosecution said.

Another offence happened when Sutton was massaging the girl. 'As he was rubbing her leg he moved his hand further towards her groin and he put one of his fingers in her vagina,' the court was told.

The other counts included one where Sutton picked the girl up from school, took her to an underground car park and forced her to give him oral sex in the back of the van. 'She tried to lift her head but his hand was at the back of her head,' the court was told. 'She recalls him saying things like 'You're good at this'. She states that she felt like it was something she was supposed to be doing because he made her feel like it's the right thing to do.'

And does this sound like a guy who is remorseful and contrite?

"Sutton was only convicted, though, after the woman had the police secretly record a phone conversation in which Sutton made a series of admissions. He says now he knew he was being set up. When initially interviewed by police, he repeatedly denied all the allegations. 'This,' says Celia Brackenridge, 'is standard behaviour by offenders. They never admit to anything until there is categorical proof against them. They know how difficult it is to get evidence against them to convict.'

"In the restaurant, Sutton says his life has been ruined by the case. 'I can't sleep at nights. I didn't sleep for a week after you first approached me to ask for the interview.' He says that in the four years before the trial, when the investigation was under way, he was clinically depressed, had been prescribed Prozac and received psychiatric help. 'I seriously thought about suicide,' he says. 'I knew one coach in Australia who was accused, and he did kill himself.'

"I wish I could tell some of the younger coaches what it is like, what to avoid,' he says. 'The traps when they flash their fanny at you or grab you by your tool.'

'You could put me up against a wall if I haven't been approached at least 30 times by girls who want to have sex,' Sutton says

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,678189,00.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He would likely require either a temporary resident permit or a special permit from the minister of citizenship and immigration. Americans with a DUI in the last ten years are routinely denied entry to Canada.

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hypocrites.

Just research, how many women (including minors) the American army raped all over the world and tried to cover it up afterwards (Vietnam, Bangkok, Okinawa). No American needs to take part in this absurd outcry about a "crime" that took place half a century ago in Australia.

Just research how old the third wife of Mohammed was. Just research, how the Catholic Church organized the covering up child rape for decades, all over the world and especially in America.

And you celebrate your army and respect those cults, because it is fashionable. But in an internet forum you do a pseudo morality show on someone who had sex with a legal minor some half century ago.

For sure, Sutton did something wrong at that time, got a penalty and served it. But if you don't welcome former offenders back into society, you need to kill them or imprison them forever in the first place. If Sutton should be banned from coaching, you take his way of making a living, right? So basically you should be consequent enough to demand a death penalty.

I met Mr. Sutton and I trust him, I don't trust a society that gives a gun to everyone but gets all nervous about the swimsuit edition of a magazine. If Sutton shot that girl, Americans would forgive him, maybe. It would be just murder or manslaughter and not ... huh ... sex.
Last edited by: adal: Jan 13, 13 0:20
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Bloody puritans.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
You can reason/justify it in any way but for him to be even in contact with minors within the sport, to me is wrong. So you can say he doesn't "coach" them 3 posts after a picture of him with juniors, is odd.

I doesn't matter what job he took, if he became a chef he might bake a kid for a kids party, if a mechanic he may com into contact with kids at a christmas party, if he works in an office perhaps through a work experience day. Children are people and the wold is full of them, just because he's in a picture taken in a group and there happens to be a 16 year old there (note this is not a minor and we only have TravisT word for it that she is 16) to suggest that means he has peadophile tendancies and is using his coaching position to satify his drive is just stupid. He should not work in a position where he is directly working with children and he doesn't but no matter what he does in life at some point it is inevitable that there will be minors around.

No matter what rules you put on real preditors they will still get access if they want either hanging outside school gates or grooming kids on the internet, that i truly sick and yes that person should be locked up but that is not Sutton. He made a grave error and has\is paying for it but there is no suggestion that he has ever repeated that error ergo let the man live his life.

Re forgiveness the only people who can offer forgivenss is the girl involved and her direct family and that is a matter for them privately.
Quote Reply

Prev Next