Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brett Sutton Article
Quote | Reply
Say what you will about the site of the article, but the guy really is interesting. I especially enjoy the quote below from an elite age-grouper

"Carter had immediately resigned from his lifeguard job on Australia’s Gold Coast, sold off his furniture and belongings and borrowed $5,000. He arrived in Leysin with his bicycle, a small bag of clothing and the understanding that Sutton was now in charge of his life...Just outside the town of Martigny, the van abruptly stops. Sutton steps out from the driver’s seat and greets his athletes. He gives simple instructions—run the 26 miles back home. The pace is to be conversational; nobody should be dropped. When the group hits the 6-mile, 3,000-foot climb back to Leysin, it is every man for himself."

You can read the rest of the article here. I have respect for anyone like Carter that sells everything they have to work with this man, it will be interesting to see how this guy turns out.

Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think one of the most interesting things he said was about how Wellington might have raced until she was 45. It's been said before, but it's actually rather sad for the sport she is now gone, and I wonder if she'd held back more, if she might have lasted longer.
That's a pretty deep psychological question, though, so who knows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some additional perspective, it's worth reading Brett's most recent post about his own kids. His daughters. For those who rip into him on this forum for the mistake(s) he made, it's some interesting perspective. I used to think the same way - he's a sleeze. Then I realized that I didn't really know him at all and was overlooking the fact that a lot of very smart and capable athletes trust him and care about him a lot. We've since become friends on email. Anyway...

The classic parts of Sutton get hammered on here a lot. This is something very different - http://www.teamtbb.com/...ask=view&id=1534

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a fantastic article indeed and opens my eyes to a Sutton I never knew. He really hits it on the head when he mentions that kids should just play sports, his example of the soccer team practicing for 2 hours and maybe playing 15 minutes of the game really is a microcosm of what is going on in the U.S. I remember when I was in high school 9-13 years ago, and where I went it was all about winning, and developing into the next level. What happened to the days of letting kids play the sport they want to play, where winning isn't the only thing? I understand the competition and that is good and has it's place, but it can really take away from the enjoyment of the sport. A friend of mine earned a full-ride scholarship to play D-1 football, but was so burnt out from camps, practices, coaches, etc that he quit before college.

Kids youth is very important, and sport plays a huge role in their development not only athletically, but socially, cognitively, etc. When you put some much emphasis on pushing our youth so hard, it takes away from the pure enjoyment in the sport, and what Sutton says in his post "I just let my kids play what they want.". It is now becoming what the parents what their kids to play (sometimes to live vicariously of their HS dream falling a bit short), instead of what the KIDS want to play, most coaches do not help this situation either.

That should be an article every parents needs to read the day their first child is born.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting read!!

Didn;t realize that TBB paid their stars that well. Caroline steffen getting 150K is quite impressive, so much for triathletes living hand to mouth!
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
Interesting read!!

Didn;t realize that TBB paid their stars that well. Caroline steffen getting 150K is quite impressive, so much for triathletes living hand to mouth!

She is widely-considered a top five pro at IM distance (if not top 3), so to lump her with every pro seems a bit off.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sutton's right - let the kids play. They'll play with joy and imagination which is it's own worthwhile result. Feeling the beauty of the game is something that won't happen in over structured practice sessions at early ages. Artists or technicians.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
For some additional perspective, it's worth reading Brett's most recent post about his own kids. His daughters. For those who rip into him on this forum for the mistake(s) he made, it's some interesting perspective. I used to think the same way - he's a sleeze. Then I realized that I didn't really know him at all and was overlooking the fact that a lot of very smart and capable athletes trust him and care about him a lot. We've since become friends on email. Anyway...

The classic parts of Sutton get hammered on here a lot. This is something very different - http://www.teamtbb.com/...ask=view&id=1534

What he did wasn't a mistake; it was a failure of morality. I assure you a longer list of smart and capable athletes trusted and cared about Joe Paterno- what are your thoughts on him? Then remember that his was a failure to act while Sutton's is more on the Sandusky level.

Sutton's coaching accomplishments mean little to me and how he treats his daughters means substantially less than how he treated another man's little girl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Then I realized that I didn't really know him at all and was overlooking the fact that a lot of very smart and capable athletes trust him and care about him a lot. We've since become friends on email. Anyway...

Disturbing.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [Yknot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe P and Sandusky never owned up to what they did. Difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question on someone like Sutton: Isn't it possible he has redeemed himself at some point? He pleaded guilty, got booted from sport in his own country, openly expressed remorse, spent a long time in "exile", hasn't repeated the offense, and has lived a very constructive life since.

Finally, the company you keep says a lot about you. I think he has overcome his past crime and now merits respect.

-------
Joe

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

The classic parts of Sutton get hammered on here a lot. This is something very different -http://www.teamtbb.com/...ask=view&id=1534[/quote[/url]]

How many of those people do you think would trust and care about him if they didn't think he could make them into world class athletes? The success of someone makes us forget, forgive and overlook a lot of things. This might not be the worst case but it's a somewhat scary phenomena.

As for the article you link I do agree with quite a few things but I think some of it is extremely simplified. For example I'd bet that the biggest difference between swiss and brazilian soccer is not how they practice. The total amount of soccer players and the amount of time they spend playing soccer dwarfs any other factor in this comparsion. Kids have different possiblities and consequently different priorities in some parts of the world.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Last edited by: bjorn: Jan 10, 13 6:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

Jordan,
Thanks for that link to Sutton's article about kids and sports. I am so turned off to youth athletics. It has become so hyper-competitive and ridiculous. My kid will turn eight in a few months. He is very athletic but he doesn't have a competitive mindset and frankly just doesn't care whether he wins, loses or even plays well. He just likes to play something and have fun. I live in a very upper middle class 'burb of Houston. My kid just doesn't mesh well in the youth sports system in place in my area because it's all about extracting every iota of talent out of the kid in the hopes they can succeed at the next level. Parents have no problems spending thousands of dollars on 5-10 year olds to get them private coaching or into elite leagues or keeping their young kids up until 11pm on weeknights because they had a game or practice. I have no problem with that at the high school level where the talent is more obvious and an end game (like a college scholarship) is in sight. But for a 6 or 7 year old??? Pushing a kid that young is questionable at best.

It sucks because if my kid ever gives a shit about sports I feel that he will be so behind the eight ball he could never catch up to the kids that have been part of the ridiculous system since they were 5 or 6. I'm fine with that but I'm not sure how I'll be able to convey that to him if the time comes.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What he did wasn't a mistake; it was a failure of morality. I assure you a longer list of smart and capable athletes trusted and cared about Joe Paterno- what are your thoughts on him? Then remember that his was a failure to act while Sutton's is more on the Sandusky level.

Sutton's coaching accomplishments mean little to me and how he treats his daughters means substantially less than how he treated another man's little girl.[/quote]
To compare Sutton with Sandusky is a travesty. Sutton had one consensual relationship with a 14/15 year old girl that he coached. The police interviewed every single other athlete he coached and there was no other incidence. He did wrong no doubt. It was a different time and he is a different person now. On balance I think he has done more good than harm on earth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without even getting into his past, this man is just so not someone I'm going to look up to... I"m sure for some people his insistence on cult-like devotion and servitude is the best path to athletic success but that doesn't mean we have to hold up his old school, control freak methods as the ideal of the ultimate coach. No powermeters (can't have athletes understand their own physiology and training), total obedience, no science, only art (when really there's a place for both)... No thanks.

And I find his endless badmouthing of Chrissie Wellington really tedious. As if there is no reason she might not want to be part of his cult and give up a large part of her earnings potential to him. She seems intelligent and well educated, and triathlon is probably not her only chance to make her mark in life, why not give it her all for a few years, make a big splash, and then move on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
run a traffic light is a mistake... what he did... pfff don't want to read any of his crap

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avagoyamug wrote:

Sutton's coaching accomplishments mean little to me and how he treats his daughters means substantially less than how he treated another man's little girl.

To compare Sutton with Sandusky is a travesty. Sutton had one consensual relationship with a 14/15 year old girl that he coached. The police interviewed every single other athlete he coached and there was no other incidence. He did wrong no doubt. It was a different time and he is a different person now. On balance I think he has done more good than harm on earth.

there is no such thing as a consensual relationship of an adult with a minor child. At BEST it is statutory rape. Worse because he was her coach - a power position. Truly a predatory transgression.

I don't think it unfair to compare Sutton and Sandusky as it is a similar theme of adult in power exploiting minor child. The difference is that (from what we know) Sutton has not repeated the action
Last edited by: TriGirrrrl: Jan 10, 13 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a distasteful topic granted but you are assuming that a 14/15 year old girl has no sexual drive, and it's pretty clear that is incorrect.
from all reports she seduced him and he never said that once in public to protect her.

There is so much difference between Sandusky using power to Seduce 12 year old boys and Sutton that if you really think the only difference is the number of people affected you are simpy wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2

Head down, thumbs up, give'r
@barrettdj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a few things stand out from that sutton article, as with most of his that i've read:

-first, the man's in dire (dire) need of an editor
-second: let kids play. we get it.
-third, and most interesting to me, is the relationship of presumed antagonism between sutton and . . . almost everyone else. again and again in his articles the theme emerges that it's sutton against the world, that he's the only rational man in a world of idiots, that he has to constantly rail against all manner of people and things. weird and sort of tiresome.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, he has it all wrong.
It's *me* that is the only rational man in a world of idiots....and a couple other guys ;)

iron_mike wrote:
-third, and most interesting to me, is the relationship of presumed antagonism between sutton and . . . almost everyone else. again and again in his articles the theme emerges that it's sutton against the world, that he's the only rational man in a world of idiots, that he has to constantly rail against all manner of people and things. weird and sort of tiresome.

-mike

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avagoyamug wrote:
Its a distasteful topic granted but you are assuming that a 14/15 year old girl has no sexual drive, and it's pretty clear that is incorrect.
from all reports she seduced him and he never said that once in public to protect her.

There is so much difference between Sandusky using power to Seduce 12 year old boys and Sutton that if you really think the only difference is the number of people affected you are simpy wrong.

his job as the ADULT and COACH was to NOT be seduced.
I don't care if she got naked and crawled on top of him
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree they are apples and oranges. A 14 year old can't consent in most juriadictions to any adult nevermind the fact that he was an authority figure to her. He expolited a power and control situation. Honestly I am amazed and how much he travels given his sex offender status. He probably requires additional entry visa paperwork.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apoligize some more for him... <pink>

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton Article [trexleradam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would have been unfortunate if Wellington had continued to race had her heart not been in it any more... sad is when 20+ people get gunned down in Connecticut.

Every IM she raced she won, set records, and elevated the game of women's long course multisport. She went out on top, undefeated. I'm not sure why people think this is sad - I think it's refrshing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next