Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year's Eve!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good week. I am struggling a little with the lack of structure, but I'm trying to give my days some structure by planning when I'll do schoolwork etc. I am anxious about going back to Oregon - it's a big transition and transitions are generally anxiety-provoking for me - but I've been trying to deal constructively with the anxiety (e.g. talked to a friend about it the other day). One thing that will help me get settled back out there is to make some friends; I have a hard time with that, but it was something that was really missing for me this fall.
Food was so-so. See above: lack of structure. One big thing I have managed to let go of is that "I am going to eat a bunch of this now then never eat it again" thing - like you know in the comic strip Foxtrot before Andy goes on a diet she eats all the cookies in the house - often if I binge I think "I need to eat this all NOW then tomorrow I'll go back to not eating sugar." I think I finally figured out that it's ridiculous to say "I'm never going to eat sugar again" or "I'm never going to eat ice cream again." That's helpful because if I am starting to binge on ice cream it makes it easier to stop and do something to distract myself until I can deal with whatever feelings made me want to binge in the first place. So there is some progress... now I say to myself "if you still want a cheese danish (or whatever) tomorrow, you can have it tomorrow." At which point my brain is usually a little more logical :D

Quote:
goal this coming week: keep running under control. Swim at least 2x.
Swims done; took a day off from running so that is good...

M - 8 mi run + 20 mi bike
T - 8 mi run
W - 40 mi bike
T - 8 mi run + 4000 yd swim
F - 8 mi run + 5000 yd swim
S - 10 mi run
S - 8 mi run + 20 mi bike

Totals: 9k swim, 80 mi bike, 50 mi run.
I am very happy about the weekend runs: the 10 miles was in 74 minutes and 5k of Sunday's run was under 7 min/mi pace.

Goals for the week: same as last week + finish two articles for school

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're really figuring some stuff out. Well done. The friend thing is hard for me too. It usually helps to join a group for something you're interested in, say running group or something. Good luck w/ the food thing. That's not easy, and a struggle for all of us here. I do the same thing - especially on weekends and tell myself I won't eat bad all week, which doesn't happen.
Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I did ok last week.
I wanted 5-6 runs - WIN , got that w/ long run of 20 miles and total of 62.5 for week.
Bike goal was 2-3 WIN - got 2 in this week, I wanted a little longer ride one day, but didn't get it.
Swim - LOSE - I wanted 1-2 but got zero.

This weeks goals

Run - 4-5 times - hips and calves hurting. I would like 50 miles total this week.
Bike 3-5 times - I want to start increasing my bike
Swim 1-2 times depending on when my daughter's are in town.
Weights / core - 2 times. Really need to restart my core work.

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S everyone. May 2013 treat you all well.

Happy training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to see you are figuring out some of the triggers and resulting behaviours - sometimes being aware of them makes it so much easier to "head them off at the pass"... Nice totals BTW.

My goal is still the 200mi for Dec, and I managed 90k last week - with a cold - and the bonus was each run felt better and better as I went. I am trying to work on my form and economy at my steady run pace (~9:00/mi - this is the pace I can go on and on - if I go faster than this, I tend to blow up like I did at Seattle :-( ). I am also making sure to add in walk breaks (i.e.: 1min every 20min or 30min) just to unload the muscles.

This week, I am still off work :-) so will get my 31k done today (this will get me the 200mi for the month), then will take the 1st off (might go swim actually), take the kids skiing on the 2nd, and start my planning for Jan thru June. I think my approach will be to have a big double every 2nd weekend (I am kid-free every 2nd weekend so I can get in lots of rest). This would look like:
- Jan 5/6: 16k/off
- Jan 12/13: 32k/16k
- Jan 19/20: 20k/off
- Jan 26/27: 40k/20k
etc.

Happy new year to all the womens - I hope your 2012 was good, and you achieved all your goals.

Here's to a happy HEALTHY and kick-butt 2013!!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your 25k on the 25th, 31k on the 31st thing is cool :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe next year I'll be able to do it from the 25th all the way thru the 31st... Now THAT'd be some serious mileage :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm I think that'd be a good way to get hurt (it would be for me anyway)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True dat.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hundred runs in 100 days challenge is pushing me out the door. I ran every day but yesterday, despite a miserable cold. Running in the single-digit Kansas cold reminded me why I'm glad I don't live there anymore.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome work Tigerchik! Your totals are impressive! Your insights on food are spot on and make me realize that I have similar issues with baked goods. I need to remind myself that it will be there tomorrow if I really want it.

Awesome job to everyone else! You women are animals! It is very inspiring to hear about what you are up to!

Last week started with a stomach bug so not much of anything early in the week. But I did manage 3 EZ runs, 2 swim, 1 trainer ride later in the week. I also enjoyed XC skiing yesterday instead of a long run. Will get back at it this week and start building a base for the spring.

Did reach some significant milestones as a beginner triathlete in the past week! Did my first run in the snow - I am a new runner so the first run was a blast! I also got back on the trails and running up & down hills for the first time since i ripped up my ankle in september. With some confidence that my ankle will take a little more mileage, i will be doing lots more trail running and hills, so i will be attacking that 100/100 challenge with a vengence! Last, but not least, I have a real tri bike now!!!!! I picked up the P2C frame and will be playing with fit this week! Am so stoked about this bike! And my hubby gave me an aero helmet for XMAS to go with the bike! 2013 season, HERE I COME!!!!

Happy New Year all!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch ouch ouch. Here's to your cold getting better miss!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish I could say I had a good week as so many others...but fell into a slump. Feeling a lack of motivation even with the 100 runs challenge....Skiing today was great though, so hopefully that will put me back on track! Lots of snow, cold temps, icy - hard to want to get out and run!

Quote | Reply
TC, I'm finding more and more that the word "never" is not a helpful one. I'm slowly banishing it from my vocabulary.

I keep plugging away at hitting 15 miles running; 4 hours bike; 4 swims. Win on the running; progress on the bike; and a big fail on the swim.

Same goal this week, although I'm already behind a swim. :-(

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4 swims on a holiday week seems like quite a feat, given the pool closures around here.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the milestones and make sure to post pics of the new toys!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am totally guilty of procrastinating right now. My husband just said, "I thought you were going running?" I said, "I am. My Garmin is charging." I'm gonna go right after this, Womens. I swear!

So we had the plague visit our house the week before last, so I told myself just run, nothing else. I guess that was a win; if, I mean when, I get my ass up and go today I'll be 7/7.

As I think most of you know, I suck at swimming. The cold temps + the cold pool is really unappealing. I am seriously considering taking a full on break and coming back to it in a month because I really don't want to dread it. I should probably just HTFU and get it done. Thoughts?

Mr. Lucky gave me the thumbs up on getting a new trainer, which I'll hopefully pick up this week, so that's exciting.

I tried my pull-up push-up test yesterday to see where I was at post sickness. It wasn't pretty. I had a goal of getting up to 10 pull-ups and 50 push-ups by January 1st. My best during training was 42 pushes, 9 pulls. Yesterday I did 40 pushes, 8 pulls. Frick. So I'm going to keep working on it and when I get it (and damn it, I will) I'll post some vid. Pics or it didn't happen, right? I think losing a few lbs will help me get there, and I need motivation to get to race weight. There it is. There's the intention.

Peace Womens.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you still be dreading it in a month?
I like to swim right after I run - then the water seems less cold :-) I don't know if that would work for you in terms of your daily schedule, but even a short cardio w/u before jumping in could be helpful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang in there everyone. Since I seem to be still bothered with my left leg... I only ran 3mi 2x last week. That seems to be about what it can tolerate. This is way below what I'd like it to be, and especially since running is a great winter activity for me... plus with the holidays - well, I was at the dr's office for a regular check up on the 28th and saw the 'uh-oh' number on the scale. You know, that number that you think "oh crud, I need to DO something about this"...
So I started THAT little 'project'
I also called my ART practicioner to get an appointment - Jan. 11. Hoping that it will help my leg/ankle/posterior tib whatever the issue is.
If not, I know my person can point me in the right direction. This is the first real running 'injury' I've had. I've been very blessed until now. I see someone running and I'm SO JEALOUS.

With the inability to run, I started strength training again. Ouch.
Also did a couple great long swims over the holidays, and keeping up decently with the bike trainer.

This week is a transition week for me and will be a week of 'workout whatever I can, when I can'...

Also trying out the my fitness pal app for watching those calories. I think I tend to put stuff in my mouth when I'm bored or during those tedious moments.

TC, way to be always learning about yourself. :) Life is a growth process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Will you still be dreading it in a month?
I like to swim right after I run - then the water seems less cold :-) I don't know if that would work for you in terms of your daily schedule, but even a short cardio w/u before jumping in could be helpful.

lol...yeah, probably. :)

I have been doing the morning masters swims, 6am start and I live 40 min away, so that does make for a pretty early morning, but 20 min earlier isn't gonna break me. I'll try doing some cardio first. That may actually do the trick, and I usually swim better if I'm a little fatigued anyway. I know that doesn't make a ton of sense, but seems to be the case. Thanks for the suggestion TC.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 5: WIN
- bike x 2: FAIL. just didn't happen.
- swim x 3: FAIL because the feckin' pool won't give a holiday schedule and i've made 2 wasted trips only to find it closed.

this week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 2
- swim x 2 (assuming i can find an open pool)
- core/strength x 2
- xc ski x 2
- get out snowboarding (meant to yesterday, but tanker's ankle was sore from rolling it during our hike home from new year's celebration)

will see how it goes..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
That is quite a drive to the pool. One of the things I am quite lucky with when I am school is having a pool right there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, 35 miles, but it's also where I work, so I'd be going anyway. When it's not winter I can bike it, which works pretty well :)

--------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 31 Edition [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is nice!

re: eating... always learning... I binged earlier but I think I snapped out of it (the urges, that is). Soooo tired and that's what triggered it; I've been busy visiting friends and got very little sleep the past two days.

Quote Reply