Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Dec. 24 Edition
Quote | Reply
Happy [insert holiday you celebrate here]!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 24, 12 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 24 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good week. Didn't lift but I did push-ups on one day... another goal was to keep the running under control. I sort of managed that (I did take a day off from it)
Food went pretty well. This is such a busy season. I am tired from traveling to various holiday parties/get-togethers but it has been good to catch up with friends/family.

M - 8 mi run + 5000 yd swim
T - 6.2 mi run + 6200 yd swim
W - 6.2 mi run + 1 mi walk
T - 8 mi run + 5000 yd swim
F - 2.5 mi walk + 50 min bike
S - 8 mi run + 3 mi walk
S - 8.5 mi run + 60 min bike

Totals - 16,200 yd swim; 1h50 bike; 45 mi run; some walking miles.
goal this coming week: keep running under control. Swim at least 2x.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik, your totals are awesome. What do you do for your swim sets? Would you mind posting the breakdown of a typical one?

My week is pretty easy to sum up: 6 days of a horrible virus, the whole family has had it now. The closest thing I can compare it to is really, really bad morning sickness. Ugh, it completely sucked. My husband is now on day 2. I haven't done anything since last Tuesday :/

Hope everyone is having a fabulous holiday season!

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 24 Edition [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I post all my swim workouts on the [Insert month name here] swim thread, so you can find them all there! I'd say typical is 300-500 warmup, 4-8 x 125 mixing kick and swim, a main set like 20 x 100 on :05-:10 rest or 8 x 300 desc 1-4, last 4 fast, if I did 100s then some easy long intervals (like 4 x 400) and if I did 300s then some easy 100s. Another favorite is 3 x50, 3 x 100, 3 x 150, and back down (drop the intervals on the way down). Best average sets are fun - like 6-10 x 100 (or 200s if you're a miler), goal is to keep them within a second of one another and fast. Cooldown is another couple hundred easy.

Sorry you've been ill. There is definitely something going around; I've had some friends who have been sick as of late. Feel better!

Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 24, 12 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had another good week. A couple sessions of speed work and a negative split 7 mile run with the last half mile the fastest.

Week total mileage = 28.

I have been sleeping really whacky and need to get back on track. Insomnia followed by sleeping late followed by insomnia, etc.

I've been cooking again and found some yummy recipes. I'm going to get my blog going again and talk about food and running. I also going to talk about what I wear doing my runs since it is always a puzzle in this weather. Working on my first post.

Here is what I made today to eat: http://whiteonricecouple.com/...omato-and-corn-soup/

I also made some tofu saag in the slow cooker. I made this before but it was too spicy. This time was better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 24 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you post the saag recipe on your blog?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy c-mas all. Last week was OK - snow a few times, very busy at work and trying to get in shopping etc. So I didn't log a lot of K's. Did manage 27k on Tues which was our snow day - yep all 27k in the snow. It was the FASTEST way to work that day - I beat tons of folks in to the office that day - some never made it in (turned back for home). Total miles was only 46k for the week.

I'm off work now for 2 weeks so am looking to log some serious mileage now. I have a week to log 113k. I think I can do it. NO, I *know* I can do it. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 24 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AP, that is awesome. 27K in the snow like that is some serious strong work. Don't you just love that bad ass feeling you get knocking out a run in the elements? I KNOW you'll get get the 113K ;) No prob, sistsa. It's in the bag.

Jen, it sounds like you've been hittin it hard regardless of weather too. I'd take snow over pouring rain any day. Good for you for gettin it done. Cool that you're going to get your blog up again. I'm always amazed at people who have the creativity and tenacity to do stuff like that. I looked through the "Post the Cute" thread yesterday. How many fabulous creatures do you have in your brood?

TC, thanks for posting the swim stuff. I'm going to look at the monthly swim threads in the main forum. I guess I've avoided looking at those for fear that I'll be too overwhelmingly discouraged. If I'm going to do an IM in 2014, I have to get over my stupid swimming issues. Do you swim with music? I love music. I haven't ever used it in the pool, but I'm thinking I may just have to so that I can bribe myself into the pool;)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 24 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! I love saag. Mmmmm. Good on ya for finding some time and motivation to write again. I look forward to some good recipes :-)

That's too bad about the sleeping. I hate getting out of rhythm on the sleeping front too, so I can relate. Are you running at different times of the day like morning vs. after work? I often found that evening exercise actually makes my sleep worse, so I stick to morning and lunch-hour.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
AP, that is awesome. 27K in the snow like that is some serious strong work. Don't you just love that bad ass feeling you get knocking out a run in the elements?

Even more badass that some of her coworkers didn't make it in ... imagine how that must have felt. Rocking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luckytotri, I don't swim with music. I run with it, but I love the peace and quiet in the pool. That said, I grew up swimming (before waterproof ipods were invented) so that is a large part of my current comfort in the water.

The monthly swim threads vary. There are some really fast people on there, but you can take any workout/set and adjust the intervals, or cut distances out if it seems too long.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleep went to hell in November with some stress kicking in insomnia then overcompensating on the weekends, etc. Wake up late, can't fall asleep at a normal hour, wake up late, rinse and repeat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it, and Happy Holidays to those that don't. I hope you all had at least some time off.

My girls (college aged) are in Poland for a class, and so I only have my son (HS age) home. Very quiet. He's a cross country runner, so luckily I can still run and not feel like it's taking time away from my family. :)

Last week was second week of recovery from Dallas marathon
Mon - 5.3
Tues - 8.3
Wed - bike 45 min trainer and 3.5 T run
Thurs 5.2
Friday off
Sat 17 at good pace - very happy w this run
Sun 6.

total 46 ish for the week.

This week's goals - increase mileage a little, start hill training for Boston. Bike x 3. And try to get one swim in .
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 24 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I biked instead of ran this morning. Proud of myself :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done!! I'm proud of you too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 5: WIN + 1 but no long run
- bike x 2: FAIL with 1, but it was outdoors and glorious!
- swim x 4: WIN
- core/strength x 4: WIN

this week's goals:
- run x 5
- bike x 2
- swim x 3

i took yesterday completely off after having worked myself to the point of exhaustion getting ready for and getting through christmas day. screw the 100/100 challenge - i needed that.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Tried a few easy short (3mi) runs. Realize I'm going to have to further pursue treatment for whatever this is that's bugging me.
I think it's tibialis posterior.

I also decided to just try to focus on swimming, biking, and strength training.
So, I did pretty well so far with those. First strength workout in a long time left me with noodle legs and really sore. It was awesome.
bike trainer going just fine.
Swimming got ramped UP. Lengthened my workouts and got in the pool twice instead of once... this trend will continue as I move forward after making this realization.

Phoned my ART and other therapies person to get an appointment.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 24 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope the tendon feels better.
When do you officially find out about the practical exam? (I am sure you passed...)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The test folks said 6-10 weeks to find out about the practicum... so here I wait! I'll let you all know...
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happy holidays!
i was sick last week with a cold/fever so i did not start off the run challenge very well.

sleeping has been off too. colds do that to me. oh well.
it has been all running last week, in cold and rainy pacific northwest.
total of miles :24.68
and one day of xc skiing, which is new for me. i managed to fall only once. first time was epic fail but that was on skate skis.
next week swimming will get added back in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update: I am at 87.5k for this week so far, and am seriously debating another short 5k or so later tonight. If I don't, I have 31k on tap for the 31st to give me 200mi in Dec.

:-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!!! How did the drinking part of the challenge go?

I've been sick too - some stomach virus - so my running efforts were curtailed last week but I've been back at it since Xmas. Snow tempted me to XC ski instead of run today and I don't regret missing my run at all!!

Hope everyone is having a great week otherwise!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 24 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha I'm in 10th today, which is much better than last year i.e.: I'm in a lower position which was my goal. :-)

A lot of people have been sick this past week. XC skiing is on the sked for the 2nd, I miss skiing. Today, we went skating, I haven't been since Feb (when I missed qualifying for Red Bull Crashed Ice - seriously! - the try out is pretty tough) so that was a nice change of pace.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply