Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Postpartum running - sore lower abs
Quote | Reply
I had a baby 3.5 months ago, and I am trying to ramp up my running but my lower abdominal muscles still get very sore. I ran throughout my pregnancy and started back a few weeks after having my little one. I noticed the sore lower abs right away when I resumed running, and so I have taken it extremely easy. I assumed the lower ab soreness would eventually go away, but it hasn't. Has anyone else gone through this? If so, how long did it take to go away?
Quote Reply
Re: Postpartum running - sore lower abs [Aunt Em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I experienced this after each of my three pregnancies, but it was the worst after my first. I, too, started running about two weeks post-partum. I did short runs for the first month, all less than four miles. It slowly got better, but I don't remember the exact length of time--sorry :/ I want to say it was about four months before things started feeling "normal," but I remember having periods of abdominal soreness that whole first year p.p. I got pregnant with my second 8 months after my first was born, so that complicates my timeline a bit;) I was also teaching pilates and prenatal yoga. I had been doing this through my pregnancy and, like the running, went back two weeks p.p. I think this helped a ton. Are you doing some regular core work? Another thing that may help would be to wear some sort of compression tight when you run, just to help hold things in a bit. I found this to be more comfortable than running shorts during this period, but if you live somewhere warm this may not be practical. Hang in there, and take it easy on yourself Mommy:) Muscle memory is a powerful thing!

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not 1 year post-partum and rarely notice it anymore. I would say it was much better about 6 months after. My abs are still very weak, but that's my own fault for not working on it more.
Quote Reply
Re: Postpartum running - sore lower abs [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I guess this is something I hadn't expected, but sounds like this is pretty typical. I haven't been doing any core/ab work, but maybe that'll help with not only the soreness but the mommy pooch I still have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devil's Advocate here..

Too much too soon? Just a thought that maybe you should take it easy for a while - maybe do more non-impact stuff like swimming or yoga or pilates and give the mamma bits a chance to heal more.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This pain may be 'simple' weakness from the natural stretch of the muscles that will occur during pregnancy.

It is also possible that you have some varying degree of a diastasis recti. This is a relatively common split of the rectus abdominus (6 pack muscle) along the linea alba (center line of the body). This happens to some women during pregnancy as a way for the body to accommodate the growth of the baby. You can check yourself for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvybTZiLqRE (I have no affiliation with these people, just found the video). While in the video they talk about what is a 'normal' diastasis I tend to err on the side that we don't have these before pregnancy and we shouldn't after - regardless of size!

If you find you have a diastasis - you can encourage the muscle bellies to start to come closer together. While on your back, cross your arms across your belly - so your right hand is on your left side just above the hip and vice versa for the left hand. Give yourself a 'hug' to squeeze your side body closer to the center - now do little crunches in this 'hug' position.

One final thought. I often see women that have returned to sport quickly after birth struggle with incontinence. Now please hear me out. It is NEVER ok to just accept incontinence. It does not have to be the normal. It can occur more often if you return to sport because the pelvic floor muscles are not functioning properly in the first few weeks after birth. Our bodies are made to go through the birthing process - but that does not mean it isn't traumatic for the tissues involved. Truly rehabbing the pelvic floor goes WAY beyond just doing a Kegel. When you have sustained trauma to your knee, shoulder, back - do you just simply starting doing a strengthening exercise? Why do we assume the pelvic floor is any different?

Ok - off my soap box, but if you need help find a Women's Health Physical Therapist in your area.
http://hermanwallace.com/practitioner-directory
http://www.womenshealthapta.org/...-therapist/index.cfm

Good luck and congrats on the little one!

Dana

Re: Postpartum running - sore lower abs [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do u have a good recommendation to get the body prepared to jumping back into training?I have seen a few recommended exercises but not sure what worked for u.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Postpartum running - sore lower abs [marcia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I kinda lost track of the thread.

I actually have not had children, so I have no personal experience to offer. I am a physical therapist that often works with pregnant and post-partum women.

In my practice, I find that ensuring pelvic floor health is one of the big keys. This does not mean just kegels. It can be relaxation exercises, partner massage, as well as strengthening, proprioceptive training, muscle timing, etc. Each pregnancy and delivery are unique. c-sections will require different recovery, episiotomies, diastisis recti, prolapse, all need to be examined and addressed.

Here's the grain of salt. The women that I see typically are having troubles...there are many who are able to go out and just start running again and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that; but the opposite is true as well. If you are having pain, leaking, difficulty with intercourse, etc. Please seek help from a qualified medical practitioner, possibly including a PT.

Good Luck!