Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [AthletesOnTrack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a dream of completing an IM since college and decided to start two years ago with my first sprint. Since then I've completed a second and bettered my time by more than 10%. Yes I'm slow (PB 2:01:00 for a sprint) but when I started I could barely swim 50 yards and was almost 100 pounds overweight.

I do try to stay out of the way of the faster athletes but believe me I'm breaking a sweat !

We should all be more understanding of our fellow triathletes. Not everyone can be Michael Jordan but if no one played basketball because they weren't as good as Jordan then basketball wouldn't be very exciting. We can't all be as fast as you but that doesn't take away from our effort and continually improving.

If you want to compare apples to apples, wear a backpack with enough weights to equal 200 pounds and see how your time is affected.

I'm continuing to loose weight and getting faster. In the mean time I'll stay out of your way because you too are achieving something great and I want you to do your best.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [jlafren42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlafren42 wrote:
i agree, people "distance up" usually when they can't compete with the deeper fields of more traditional races. I wouldn't even know what a good time for a 100k run would be, but i know how hard it is to run sub 3 in a marathon.

Going long doesn't have to be slow. This feat by Mike Morton just blows my mind. 172 miles in 24 hrs is INSANE

http://www.irunfar.com/...ships-interview.html

http://www.fuelforendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [jmayo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmayo wrote:
jlafren42 wrote:
i agree, people "distance up" usually when they can't compete with the deeper fields of more traditional races. I wouldn't even know what a good time for a 100k run would be, but i know how hard it is to run sub 3 in a marathon.

Going long doesn't have to be slow. This feat by Mike Morton just blows my mind. 172 miles in 24 hrs is INSANEhttp://www.irunfar.com/...ships-interview.html[/quote[/url]]

----

X2....Great job by Mike..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont get those triathlete snobs, especially slow ones. People who think they're awesome because they did some really long race, but think that short events aren't real.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [Rhymenocerus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everybody's a snob at something.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good investigation! However, I'm not the one whinning dude. I'm not taking anyone down in my blog. If anyone should lighten up it might be you...that's the point--get it?

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know where everyone meets all the IM snobs, ultra snobs, triathlon snobs ect. I have met many people in the years doing this sport and I find most are very nice, the ones that are not are just sort of insecure types. Never really met a "snob" the faster they are the nicer they seem to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dennis wrote:
I don't know where everyone meets all the IM snobs, ultra snobs, triathlon snobs ect. I have met many people in the years doing this sport and I find most are very nice, the ones that are not are just sort of insecure types. Never really met a "snob" the faster they are the nicer they seem to be.

-----

It's an online thing I believe...

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dennis wrote:

You havnt been on ST for very long have you?
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
AthletesOnTrack wrote:
I don't get ultra-endurance snobs, especially slow ones.

Also, are you the Steen Rose who finished the Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3 Triathlon 2012 in 5:28 with a 40 minute swim, 2:35 bike and a run of 2:07?

Oh. Snap.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AthletesOnTrack wrote:
That's probably a lot more clear and concise than I put it the first time...I can definitely see where that's not what came across, and that's just poor writing and editing on my part.

That elegant backpedal, paired with this from your website...

Quote:
degree in Communication, and can connect with athletes at all levels
...really makes me wonder if you were just poking the hornet's nest to see what would happen.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might come off as a snob....but .....

KISS MY FVCKING BELT BUCKLE BIIIIAAATCH!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dennis wrote:

i feel like this actually happens to me pretty often. a bunch of people were signing up for a road race festival last summer, and i did the 1-mile. "oh, how come you're only doing the mile?" was a pretty common question. i wanted to break 5 minutes, which to me would be 5 full minutes of pain and suffering, and way, way harder than just finishing a 10mile. hell, most STers could finish a 10mile with their arms tied behind their backs. but increasingly running is being taken over by a mentality that progress means distancing up, not getting faster.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [RunFatboyRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
AthletesOnTrack wrote:
A couple of other posters have perhaps put it better than me, iron_mike and pattersonpaul.

It feels like there is a growing lack of respect for shorter races, and that's a shame. When it's coupled with an unreasonable esteem for endurance or ultra-endurance events, it can get a bit silly.

That's probably a lot more clear and concise than I put it the first time. I respect anybody getting off the couch and out the door, just that puts you in the top what, 5% of the population, because you beat everyone still on the couch. The people I don't respect are the ones who don't respect athletes racing other distances. I can definitely see where that's not what came across, and that's just poor writing and editing on my part.

No distance is more legit than any other, no speed is more legit than any other. Better?

Sure, that makes more sense. And now I am genuinely curious to hear some examples of how people express this lack of respect. Since you're in coaching, I assume this has some real world basis, so lay it on us. My guess is that whether it's short or long course, the vast majority of people, even the ones willing to throw their hat into the multisport ring, have no shot to ever podium. We're always going to be only racing ourselves. We can't appreciate the difference between 1st and 3rd place in a 5k, it's all beyond us, even MOPers. So while we certainly can push ourselves with the pursuit of lower PRs, there is a different kind of satisfaction from going the distance. It's why endurance sports are called endurance. I am starting to see more and more why I need to set goals of both kinds. I have personally decided to not even think about a full marathon until I can get my 10k and 1/2mary times down to a reasonable range. That's going to take a lot more work than it took me to go from zero to finishing the first ones.

Maybe I'm a bad example. Always been fat and unathletic, so I have mad respect for fast people at ANY distance. Maybe the population that is grating on you is closer to the actual MOP than the BOP. I don't know. I may be a poor representative of the BOP as it is. Seriously though, some "for instance" comments you've actually heard would be helpful.

You have degraded yourself several times in your posts. You need to stop. Not to get all Dr Phil, but you ARE an athlete. Your already thinking of ways to get your 10k and 21k times down. Thats 'athlete speak'. Think like one, be one. Otherwise you will be 150 pounds dripping wet and still think of yourself as 'fat and unathletic'.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
AthletesOnTrack wrote:
I don't get ultra-endurance snobs, especially slow ones.

Also, are you the Steen Rose who finished the Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3 Triathlon 2012 in 5:28 with a 40 minute swim, 2:35 bike and a run of 2:07?

Shouldnt play the man Ed. Even if it were him, he could be one hell of a coach. He may not have worded himself well in the beginning, but he did try and clarify his point. Posting any results, with the insinuation that they are mediocre times, just contributes to the snobby argument.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like and agree. I've seen too many people convince themselves they weren't athletic so they couldn't be active.

As for the rest of this thread, blah. Yes, there's a difference between trying to podium and trying to complete. Each is likely a challenge and accomplishment for the person with the goal. "Hard" is relative - do what is hard for you if you want a challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who finds the courage to get off of the couch and try to better herself or himself is awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

Shouldnt play the man Ed. Even if it were him, he could be one hell of a coach. He may not have worded himself well in the beginning, but he did try and clarify his point. Posting any results, with the insinuation that they are mediocre times, just contributes to the snobby argument.

I get what you are saying, but if he is going to come on here and rant about how annoyed he is by slow athletes, he better be prepared to back it up with stellar results otherwise, he's not just an asshole, he's an asshole AND a hypocrite. Finishing in the 42% bracket of his age group solidly places him in the latter category.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Perfect blend of cuteness, sarcasm and BAMFism
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phfffft Ironman is just a warm up!!

Nick,

I have mentioned this before in this space, so forgive me for repeating it.

FWIW - Outside Magazine took Ironman off its endurance races/events of significance back in the mid 90's! Reason: There were too many people finishing it each year. This was back when there was only the 5 -Ironman races world wide, so perhaps about 7,000 - 8,000 finishing an Iroman race each year!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Phfffft Ironman is just a warm up!!

Nick,

I have mentioned this before in this space, so forgive me for repeating it.

FWIW - Outside Magazine took Ironman off its endurance races/events of significance back in the mid 90's! Reason: There were too many people finishing it each year. This was back when there was only the 5 -Ironman races world wide, so perhaps about 7,000 - 8,000 finishing an Iroman race each year!

---

Yeah,I know and I of course was being my usual smartass self...I remember in '99, UMH/UMC Champ Tracy Preston and I were visiting Ultra legend Erik Seedhouse in his lab at SFU in Vancouver and there was a poll in some magazine about what was the most extreme event (this was during the x-games craze)..I asked him what he thought was an extreme event and he just said.."Any event where,when standing at the start line, it was reasonable to expect you might not survive to the finish"

---
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [RunFatboyRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
And now I am genuinely curious to hear some examples of how people express this lack of respect.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but this looked like a good one to respond to, since this is a pet peeve of mine as well. Nothing like having a 190lb out-of-shape woman at a sprint/ olympic combined tri say that sprints are easy to get under the skin of someone trying to get legitimately fast at sprints. That's just one example; there are countless less memorable examples of people wondering why anyone who trains as much as me, or is in good shape like me (coming from people who are vaguely aware of the tri scene, not bragging here, I'm the first to say I'm not fast, especially by the standards of this site), would bother doing the shorter events. There are a few people who say "good for you for building speed and not chasing distance immediately", but they're few and far between. Yes, the dismissal in favor of people plodding through longer distances is frustrating.

I'm sure I'll get attacked for that. Whatever, it's how I feel.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [Bah Humbug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple of random notes....

1. I judge the difficulty of an event by looking at random sampling of the body-types of event finishers.
2. I finally gave up triathlon, because I wanted to give endurance events a try.

Both, serious.

I have a friend who posts her Crossfit workout photos. I see a lot of "mushy" folks, standing around in the photos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was as light as the ether."
Last edited by: Tiki: Dec 11, 12 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
i feel like this actually happens to me pretty often. a bunch of people were signing up for a road race festival last summer, and i did the 1-mile. "oh, how come you're only doing the mile?" was a pretty common question. i wanted to break 5 minutes, which to me would be 5 full minutes of pain and suffering, and way, way harder than just finishing a 10mile. hell, most STers could finish a 10mile with their arms tied behind their backs. but increasingly running is being taken over by a mentality that progress means distancing up, not getting faster.

-mike

I get this sort of thing in person a lot, too. I prefer 5k over 10k and sprint over olympic. If only 10k or olympic is offered, yes, I do those and do reasonably well. But at the combined offerings, yup, lots of people questioning why someone like me is, to use one set of words I got "beating up the kiddies in the kiddie pool". And to be fair, it's not like I even overall podiumed in that sprint.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply

Prev Next