Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs
Quote | Reply
I don't get ultra-endurance snobs, especially slow ones. People who think they're awesome because they did some really long race, but think that short events aren't real.

I can't be the only one who gets tired of this, right? Here's the gist of the rant:

Race whatever distance and whatever sport make you happy, but don’t ask me to respect the fact that you can shuffle along for a long time, barely breaking a sweat, chatting with your friends and treating aid stations as a buffet table.

And you can read the rest of it here: http://www.athletesontrack.com/?p=583

Steen Rose
http://www.athletesontrack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [AthletesOnTrack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raise your hand if you really give a rat's ass......yep, don't see any hands raised so let's move on to the next subject.

Seriously, why do they bother you?
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [IronLance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Let's lock this down and move on.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [Power] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.teamintraining.org/...ches/Coach/triathlon

Wow, this post is really annoying now......
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [Fruitcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I don't see what coaching slow people or beginners has to do with bemoaning a direction in our sport that somehow Ironman is legit and short course isn't. In fact it's part of the reason why so many people jump to long course before they're ready.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Race whatever distance and whatever sport make you happy, but don’t ask me to respect the fact that you can shuffle along for a long time, barely breaking a sweat, chatting with your friends and treating aid stations as a buffet table"

I think you may just need to be a little more clear in your stance and wording. According to this line, you aren't respecting probably 25% of TNT'ers that you either coach or are associated with (and I'm not taking a shot at TNT, I fully support it). A lot of these guys that are truely BOP treat aid stations as buffet tables like it or not. Again, not dissing on TNT, just stating a fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe a lot of people like to hide behind the mystique of a marathon or an Ironman
and really don't care how badly they perform. Maybe they like being slow.

Very few "regular" people will ask or care how long it took you to run your marathon or to finish
your IM. They won't call you on your slow time because that don't know what
a respectable time is.

If over the weekend I finished a marathon in 6 hours and you ran a 5k in 17 minutes guess who
gets the most kudos from our co-workers? Me. After all you just ran for 17 minutes, anyone
can do that.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this go under the phrase (If you never did it, you don't even have a clue what you are talking about) go back to your cubicle and cry
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [usmultisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
usmultisport wrote:
Does this go under the phrase (If you never did it, you don't even have a clue what you are talking about) go back to your cubicle and cry

so I should run a 6 hour marathon so I know what it's like?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AthletesOnTrack wrote:
. . . Ironman is legit . . . .

I don't think I would call IM an "ultra" endurance event. I thought this was about those fools that go run like 100-200K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares?

Stay focused and responsible for your own performance and for your own actions. That's all you can do. I could care less about whether my coworkers think I'm a super ultra-superman. I try to keep my life as a triathlete out of the workplace anyway.

AND finishing an ironman is not normal or typical. Anyone who finishes a half or full ironman has my respect.

That said, 99.9% of triathlets are wonderful people. Embrace that fact over the 0.1%.

Max
Last edited by: Madmax62: Dec 10, 12 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what, so your fast, try running a 50 or 100 mile run, walk or crawl, and what is fast to you (Marathon) the first runner (of the marathon died) in my opinion it is the rant people that can ruin the sport (duathlon) for an example, as for Ironman, it wasn't meant to be a race, more like an endurance race with some Primos at the end
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think some people don't deserve respect...well...don't give it to them.

If you feel that some people should give you respect...well...you have two options. Don't give a rat's ass, or prove it to them that you deserve it. I usually prefer to not give a rat's ass.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
AthletesOnTrack wrote:
. . . Ironman is legit . . . .

I don't think I would call IM an "ultra" endurance event. I thought this was about those fools that go run like 100-200K.

------

Phfffft Ironman is just a warm up!!! (I refuse to use pink font)...Yeah I thought that this would be about the Ultra crowd but realised that it couldn't be, as we all know Ironman is the hardest single day event in the history of mankind (again I refuse to use pink)...;-)

People love to carry on about how much they train and "race" and all that good stuff and yes it is pretty funny to watch.I have some FB friends who carry on and on and on about all the "really hard IM training" they do and how they are out crushing it all the time but become remarkable humble once it is time to post results.Lot's of pictures of training and camps and gear and all that jazz but not much going on after the event.It is all good and if it makes them happy and keeps them healthy then who cares.I used to but now I don't.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [tri808] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you think some people don't deserve respect...well...don't give it to them.

If you feel that some people should give you respect...well...you have two options. Don't give a rat's ass, or prove it to them that you deserve it. I usually prefer to not give a rat's ass. //

Just had to repost this, well said, end of thread....
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. From the title I thought you were going to whine about people who "slowly" complete some type of ultra events like Ultraman or Western States. Then I was going to laugh at the notion that those events are "not difficult".

Now I'm not sure what you're whining about or why.

@davempratt
Last edited by: djastroman: Dec 10, 12 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
despite all the static you're getting here (it is slowtwitch, after all) i actually agree with you.

it's a pet peeve of mine lately that if a race has, say, a 5k and a 10k at the same event, the shorter race is increasingly viewed as the 'beginners' event. as if you wouldn't bother doing a 5k race as long as you're sure you could actually run 10k. all these people would rather shuffle a half than actually try to go fast in a shorter event. it's a bummer.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AthletesOnTrack wrote:
I don't get ultra-endurance snobs, especially slow ones. People who think they're awesome because they did some really long race, but think that short events aren't real.

I can't be the only one who gets tired of this, right? Here's the gist of the rant:

Race whatever distance and whatever sport make you happy, but don’t ask me to respect the fact that you can shuffle along for a long time, barely breaking a sweat, chatting with your friends and treating aid stations as a buffet table.

And you can read the rest of it here:http://www.athletesontrack.com/?p=583[/quote[/url]]

So, let's see. You wrote a snobbish post about those that go long and don't live up to your time expectations, then post here under the title that you are ranting against ultra endurance snobs?

Irony, table for one.

ETA - is this really a part of your professional description? "He's dedicated to helping new athletes have a positive experience and to helping everyone achieve their goals, whether that is to just to cross the finish line, or to finish first." Do you tell your slow, DFL clients that they do not get your respect?
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 10, 12 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree, people "distance up" usually when they can't compete with the deeper fields of more traditional races. I wouldn't even know what a good time for a 100k run would be, but i know how hard it is to run sub 3 in a marathon.

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel you dude. Ask me to ambulate in single direction for 24 hours straight...no problem, just give me about 6 months to get ready. Ask me to run a 5k 2 minutes less than my current PR, might as well ask me to fly to the moon.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [jlafren42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlafren42 wrote:
i agree, people "distance up" usually when they can't compete with the deeper fields of more traditional races. I wouldn't even know what a good time for a 100k run would be, but i know how hard it is to run sub 3 in a marathon.

---

Last year the World 100k Championships were won in 6:23:20 with the top 11 going under 7hrs...To win my National Champs in June I will have to run under 7:30 and hope that nobody fast shows up.

----
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
jlafren42 wrote:

---

Last year the World 100k Championships were won in 6:23:20 with the top 11 going under 7hrs...To win my National Champs in June I will have to run under 7:30 and hope that nobody fast shows up.

----

Wow. Good luck. That stuff is incredible.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [jlafren42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason people go to ultras is because they can run fast in the smaller distances and wanted to do something more challenging and don't have to be type A and post it on a blog, I always have a qoute (You might be fast but will you last) in all my years most are on the couch after a couple of years, big deal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given all the challenges and issues that we face as a species and a society this is the one that you choose to focus on?

Might want to shop at the perspective store next time you go to the mall....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant About Ultra Endurance Snobs [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
razorbacksteve wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
jlafren42 wrote:

---

----

Wow. Good luck. That stuff is incredible.

--

For the Americans here the current World 24hr Champion is 41 year old Yank, Mike Morton who won the race by covering 277.543kilometers(173.4 miles) which is a great performance but still around 26k short of Yiannis Kouros' world record..

---
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Dec 10, 12 12:58
Quote Reply

Prev Next