Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bayonet fork coming loose [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looked under "Technology" didn't see any video on this......

what means this word 'change'? .....
Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: Bayonet fork coming loose [rrfr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

tech has the explanation, "MEDIA" and youtube host the video:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/Media.aspx

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
anyone have the link to the video showing the assymble of the Bayonet system. I just bought as used B2 here on the cassifieds and the first thing I noticed is the front end is loose. I found the pdf file of the assymbly on Felts website, but would like to see the video. I'll try my hand at it firts, then to my local Felt dealer if I cann't solve it....and if they can't.....I'm sending the bike back. I'm thinking (hopefully not though) this could be the reason for the bike sale.

Michael

The video is on our website under "technology"

www.feltbicycles.com

Regards,
-SD

Found it - thanks.

Looks like I'm adjusting everything correctly and still getting some play in the bearings. I'll drop the fork off to make sure everything from the bottom up is assembled correctly.

EDIT:
After watching the video and looking over the pdf. assembly page I tore the fork down and everything is in order - no missing parts, bearings are facing the right direction against the crowns. I put it all back together and there is still a bit of play in the fork assembly. I can actually see the stem moving against the frame....obviously something is amiss here.

The problem "almost" seems that the fork steering shaft is a bit too long. Once I tighten down the steerer nut as much as possible (there is still some play in the fork at this point and the steerer nut will not go any tighter) I'll then tighten the steerer screw. The steerer screw (it is screwed all the way up into the steerer nut) will only turn about 2mm - almost seems like it is already tight up against the fork steering tube which may be why the steerer nut will not tighten down as much as it should??

Also note that I know my way around bikes....been building my own for too many years, do all my own maintenance and repairs - installing headsets, build my own wheels, tear down disc brakes, etc.....pretty much can do it all so I'm not a hack that is clueless about bikes and how they work. Something just seems amiss here beyond a simple "needs to be tightened correctly". Granted, I could be wrong (done that plenty enough), but........

Any ideas or suggestions??
I have a LBS that is a Felt dealer that I can/plan on having them take a look, but they are a brand new shop (Opened spring of this year) so I'm not sure how much work they've had with the Bayonet II system.

SD, Since you work for Felt, I would like to ask you a question regarding warranty. As I mentioned, I just purchased this frame (used off another ST member) and I just took delivery on Friday. The frame is a 2009 DA, pretty much brand new. Original owner says about 100miles...and looking at the frame, chain and chain rings/cassette, I believe the mileage. "If" there is a problem with the front end that cannot be fixed, will Felt warrant the frame or not? If not, and there turns out to be a problem, I'll need to start the process with the seller about having them take the bike back.

Thanks,
Michael

It sounds as though the compression ring, steerer nut or lock nut may be from a different frameset or from a Tk1. While some of these parts may be interchangable there are slight differences and additional changes were made in 2010. I don't have the parts in front of me, but this new system (Bayonet2) is much more straightforward and it sounds as though you understand how it all goes together.

Try this trick: Take the silver lock nut out of the compression device. Just use a 6mm hex key to thread it out of this piece.

Reinstall the compression device, the black part that threads down on the bearing. Thread this down snug against the bearing and provide the correct preload. Do this without the lock nut installed.

Install the stem on the fork, again WITHOUT the locknut.

If the play disappears, then your diagnosis is correct and the compression device and lock nut needs to be swapped for the correct parts.

There was a time when Cane Creek headset bearings were used in the frames, and when we made a switch to FSA headset bearings, the parts were slightly modified.

You may have mismatched headset parts is all. Your local Felt Dealer with the aid of our customer service/dealer support here at Felt can help you source the correct components and have you on the road.

Sorry for the the hassle, I assume this frame was not assembled prior to you purchasing it.

-SD

SD,
Removing the steerer screw, I was able to tighten the steerer nut enough to remove the play in the front end I was having so that looks to be the problem. The steerer screw in my assembly is not the correct one - it's too long - I need a sterrer screw that is....probably 3-5mm shorter. I've lost my caliper so I can't give an exact measurement of the size of the steerer screw I have, but holding the ole tape measure to it, it looks to be about 5/16" in length. Hopefully Felt has one that is shorter?

If so, should I go thru my local Felt dealer to see if they have one or just call Felt USA for the part - I can do the installation myself...unless you want me to work thru a dealer.

Thanks so much for your help!!
Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you got the bike i wanted......
Quote Reply
Re: Bayonet fork coming loose [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
anyone have the link to the video showing the assymble of the Bayonet system. I just bought as used B2 here on the cassifieds and the first thing I noticed is the front end is loose. I found the pdf file of the assymbly on Felts website, but would like to see the video. I'll try my hand at it firts, then to my local Felt dealer if I cann't solve it....and if they can't.....I'm sending the bike back. I'm thinking (hopefully not though) this could be the reason for the bike sale.

Michael

The video is on our website under "technology"

www.feltbicycles.com

Regards,
-SD

Found it - thanks.

Looks like I'm adjusting everything correctly and still getting some play in the bearings. I'll drop the fork off to make sure everything from the bottom up is assembled correctly.

EDIT:
After watching the video and looking over the pdf. assembly page I tore the fork down and everything is in order - no missing parts, bearings are facing the right direction against the crowns. I put it all back together and there is still a bit of play in the fork assembly. I can actually see the stem moving against the frame....obviously something is amiss here.

The problem "almost" seems that the fork steering shaft is a bit too long. Once I tighten down the steerer nut as much as possible (there is still some play in the fork at this point and the steerer nut will not go any tighter) I'll then tighten the steerer screw. The steerer screw (it is screwed all the way up into the steerer nut) will only turn about 2mm - almost seems like it is already tight up against the fork steering tube which may be why the steerer nut will not tighten down as much as it should??

Also note that I know my way around bikes....been building my own for too many years, do all my own maintenance and repairs - installing headsets, build my own wheels, tear down disc brakes, etc.....pretty much can do it all so I'm not a hack that is clueless about bikes and how they work. Something just seems amiss here beyond a simple "needs to be tightened correctly". Granted, I could be wrong (done that plenty enough), but........

Any ideas or suggestions??
I have a LBS that is a Felt dealer that I can/plan on having them take a look, but they are a brand new shop (Opened spring of this year) so I'm not sure how much work they've had with the Bayonet II system.

SD, Since you work for Felt, I would like to ask you a question regarding warranty. As I mentioned, I just purchased this frame (used off another ST member) and I just took delivery on Friday. The frame is a 2009 DA, pretty much brand new. Original owner says about 100miles...and looking at the frame, chain and chain rings/cassette, I believe the mileage. "If" there is a problem with the front end that cannot be fixed, will Felt warrant the frame or not? If not, and there turns out to be a problem, I'll need to start the process with the seller about having them take the bike back.

Thanks,
Michael

It sounds as though the compression ring, steerer nut or lock nut may be from a different frameset or from a Tk1. While some of these parts may be interchangable there are slight differences and additional changes were made in 2010. I don't have the parts in front of me, but this new system (Bayonet2) is much more straightforward and it sounds as though you understand how it all goes together.

Try this trick: Take the silver lock nut out of the compression device. Just use a 6mm hex key to thread it out of this piece.

Reinstall the compression device, the black part that threads down on the bearing. Thread this down snug against the bearing and provide the correct preload. Do this without the lock nut installed.

Install the stem on the fork, again WITHOUT the locknut.

If the play disappears, then your diagnosis is correct and the compression device and lock nut needs to be swapped for the correct parts.

There was a time when Cane Creek headset bearings were used in the frames, and when we made a switch to FSA headset bearings, the parts were slightly modified.

You may have mismatched headset parts is all. Your local Felt Dealer with the aid of our customer service/dealer support here at Felt can help you source the correct components and have you on the road.

Sorry for the the hassle, I assume this frame was not assembled prior to you purchasing it.

-SD

SD,
Removing the steerer screw, I was able to tighten the steerer nut enough to remove the play in the front end I was having so that looks to be the problem. The steerer screw in my assembly is not the correct one - it's too long - I need a sterrer screw that is....probably 3-5mm shorter. I've lost my caliper so I can't give an exact measurement of the size of the steerer screw I have, but holding the ole tape measure to it, it looks to be about 5/16" in length. Hopefully Felt has one that is shorter?

If so, should I go thru my local Felt dealer to see if they have one or just call Felt USA for the part - I can do the installation myself...unless you want me to work thru a dealer.

Thanks so much for your help!!
Michael

I really think you should take the frameset to a Felt retailer to have it assembled and double checked that all the correct parts are there, in order, torqued, etc...

Any Felt dealer can order these parts.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Regards,
-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"There was a time when Cane Creek headset bearings were used in the frames, and when we made a switch to FSA headset bearings, the parts were slightly modified."

Is there any way to tell what headset bearings your DA frame/fork combo is supposed to have (Cane Creek or FSA)?

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Bayonet fork coming loose [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"There was a time when Cane Creek headset bearings were used in the frames, and when we made a switch to FSA headset bearings, the parts were slightly modified."

Is there any way to tell what headset bearings your DA frame/fork combo is supposed to have (Cane Creek or FSA)?

I looked all over my bearings (2009 DA) and there were no markings on the bearings.

.....and I drove to my Felt Dealer today to have them look at the frame.....they were closed! What shop picks Tuesday as the day of the week to be closed???

Will try again tomorrow
Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

If you have a Bayonet2 fork you should have FSA bearings.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

So, if I have a Bayonet1 fork should I have Cane Creek bearings? Or was there a time FSA bearings were used on the Bayonet1 fork?

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

So, if I have a Bayonet1 fork should I have Cane Creek bearings? Or was there a time FSA bearings were used on the Bayonet1 fork?
Bayonet 1 is completely different and uses a compensator for any variance. Any IS2A compatible headset will work with Bayonet1 forks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So super D. How about a few pictures of the da di2 with all the interesting points??? you know its right!
Quote Reply
Re: Bayonet fork coming loose [ryanfergus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So super D. How about a few pictures of the da di2 with all the interesting points??? you know its right!

send me an email and I'll forward what I have. I didn't get this bike in the studio yet, we did show it at Dirt Demo in Las Vegas and there is an upcoming mag review as well.

Right is right.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

3 months ago, I bought a Felt DA from a friend of mine. He told me that I would need to take it to a LBS to have the forks adjusted because there was a little play in them.(which was more than a little) My LBS here in Fort Myers said to bring it over and they would fix it. Well, they couldn't figure out how to get it apart. Not real reassuring. So I looked up a Felt authorized service repair shop and took it there. Guess what, they couldn't figure out how to get the play out. They were able to make it a tad better, but still not race ready. I got on these forums and read and read and read and found no solution. I have been around bikes my whole life and thought about taking it apart myself but didn't want to risk not being able to get it back together before the race. Well, more reading and watching the videos and studying the pdf diagrams from Felt, I had no choice but to dig in.

Good diagram.
http://www.feltbicycles.com/...0Instructions(3).pdf

It took me all of about 20 minutes to figure out where exactly the problem is. The actual problem is that the Steerer Shaft (the part that is actually supposed to be machined to the fork body) is pulling up/out of the fork body. This then causes the bearings to become loose against the races causing the play. Yes, you can tighten the Steerer Nut down which tightens the bearings and races. However, hit a decent sized bump and wha la, loose again.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that many of the folks in these forums that have been complaining (and rightfully so) about this same mysterious problem, are/were having this very same issue.

If you look in the hole on the backside of the fork (where you access the front caliper bolt), you may very well see that it is difficult to access the caliper bolt due to the base of the steerer shaft either lifted, turned or both. I had to put a cresent wrench on the base of the steerer shaft and turn it slightly counter clockwise to get the hole to line up horizontally. Then I had to use a rubber mallot to tap the steerer tube back down into the fork body.

I realize that this was a bit long winded but I didn't see anything like this in any of the other forums and wanted to try to save other fellow Felt riders from this same nightmare.

Super Dave, have you heard of this before or know of a solution to the problem?

Additionally, if there is no fix, is there a different fork that would fit my DA that would match my bike and not come loose all the time?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Shane.
Quote Reply
Re: Bayonet fork coming loose [FELT_Shane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bayonet 1 was flawed. Even with all of the posts, videos, how to's and lock tite, the fact remains, its flawed. You have two options for a solid, real fix.

1.) Get the new Bayonet 2 Devox fork. This fork was redesigned completely and has zero problems. Its expensive but is an awesome fork and is meant for your bike.

2.) Buy and aftermarket carbon fork. Easton forks work just fine and are very lightweight and durable.

Get rid of that old system. It was good in theory but has always given people problems. Get a sure fix you dont have to mess with.
Quote Reply
Re: Bayonet fork coming loose [FELT_Shane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you have the older Bayonet I fork?
I have the II which is a different design and has the problem of always having a little bit of play.
After many attempts of fixing in myself, contacting Felt many times, sending the bike to a felt dealer several times and then Felt promising to send me new parts top fix the problem (which they NEVER did), I've just given up and although it's quite annoying knowing the problem is still there....the bike is rideable.

I'm almost certain the problem is the Steerer Lock Screw is about 1-3mm too thick. I "think" when the system is locked down, it will not tighten enough due to the thickness of the lock screw - could be wrong, but that's my unengineered guess.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct. I have the Bayonet I. And if you have the II and the problem still exists, I won't be buying that either. Do you have the devox?
Quote Reply

Prev Next