Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Loon"y Swim
Quote | Reply
Just got back from a nice quiet swim in a no wake lake that has very little traffic on it. Sort of showery here in West Michigan so got a cool rain shower while swimming. It is really neat watching it come down the lake and then the little splatters as you breath. Then about my turn around point. I look up for sighting and there, directly in front of me, is this loon about 15 feet away just watching me. Had to stop and tread water to make sure I wasn't seeing things. When I started swimming again, it dove and I figured that it was gone. Turned around to swim back and there it was again. I swam left and it swam right to make sure we didn't bother each other (my intent at least) and then it paralleled my course for a couple of minutes.

It's the little things that really makes training fun. Also different than some of those shark stories ; ) Looking forward to my trail run this afternoon!

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: "Loon"y Swim [letter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a group ride yesterday, a groundhog ran out of a field right in the middle of our paceline. It went smack into one guy's front wheel and knocked himself cold. Really wierd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: "Loon"y Swim [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]On a group ride yesterday, a groundhog ran out of a field right in the middle of our paceline. It went smack into one guy's front wheel and knocked himself cold. Really wierd.[/reply]

Was he looking for his shadow, or just tired of looking for his shadow?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats totally cool man, I worked at a summer camp last summer, while in a canoe at 5 in the morning just for some exercise i went around a small island just off the main shorline at the lake, and like 10 meters away on the side of this small passage were 2 loons, I sat there for like 20 minutes no trying to disturb them in anyway, eventually i turned around and returned to camp, and would hear loon calls in the background. It was awesome, later that day i tried to tell some of the councellors that i had seen two loons, some believed others were like "i bet" as they rolled their eyes.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice, I used to swim in a similair lake when I lived in Washington state and it seemed like birds like to watch us swim for some reason.

On Sunday I was running along a country road and noticed a bird's shadow over head. The bird followed above me for several minutes and I was grinning like an idiot, enjoying the moment. Love that stuff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a loon that like to watch my wife swim at the gym. Underwater with goggles. I'm going to hurt him soon.

Re: "Loon"y Swim [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is a loon that like to watch my wife swim at the gym. Underwater with goggles. I'm going to hurt him soon.
I've totally shut down my swim and gone into "slow cruise" mode for a lap or so because I swam up next to some hottie and didn't want to pass... DAMN I love Kits pool!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: "Loon"y Swim [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy doesn't swim. He just sits underwater watching her.

Quote | Reply
Does he use a snorkel? ;)

Seriously dude - has your wife ever approached him about his behaviour?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: "Loon"y Swim [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I told her to kick him. Seems there is always some perv hanging around. It must suck being female and attractive.

Quote | Reply
There are idiots all over the place. Could make a case with the life guard about stalking. Nice thing about these open water swims - it is just you and what ever out there (the what ever being non human). I would hope your wife wouldn't mind a feathered loon watching her.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loons, ducks, fish would all be acceptable company. Gym pool varmits are not.

Re: "Loon"y Swim [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a similar experience last year at the same lake - swimming a couple of miles and saw a vulture pretty high up. It kept getting lower and lower while I was swimming back and forth until it was maybe 15-20 ft off the water. I know I smell bad, but I thought the water would mask it. Pretty erie feeling when you wonder what the bird know that you don't. Shades of Monty Python - "I'm not dead yet!"

Larry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's experiences like this that make me love training.

On Monday night I was riding on a road beside the dyke. I beaver crossed my path. I don't think I've ever seen a beaver before this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every so often, I go through a stretch of time when it seems like every time I go running, I really do end up with a couple vultures circling overhead. I know I'm a sucky runner, but still.

A couple years back, there were hawks nesting close to one of my pools. Seems like you'd see them circling just below treetop level every time you did backstroke.

And on a quick bike the day before Gulf Coast this year, I darn near hit a blue heron that had just taken off from his spot in the pond by the side of the road. He wasn't paying attention, was maybe 3 feet off the ground, and seven feet in front of me, and I'm slamming on my brakes thinking "I don't want to be picking feathers out of the drive train"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]It must suck being female and attractive.[/reply]

Yeah, all the hot chicks I know wish they were homely... ;-) Creepy dudes staring at you sucks, but I think the tradeoff is likely FAR in her favour.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For us Colonials, what is a loon? I thought it was a Canadian dollar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once had a small bird fly out the hedge and straight through my wheel. It didn't survive. :(
Quote Reply
Re: "Loon"y Swim [plazbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a sizable water bird that is a fish hunter; doesn't move well on land because their feet are set so far back. They tend to inhabit northern lakes of the US and Canada. Their call is really unique and soothing to listen to.

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/Infocenter/i0070id.html The top photo.

Larry

Quote Reply