Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can we talk about holiday dresses?
Quote | Reply
I went shopping this past weekend for a dress for the company party. What I found was heart ache and misery.

Who knew shopping could be such a weight loss motivator.

Anyone have luck? Lets see em! w00t

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by: Nova: Nov 15, 12 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: Can we talk about holiday dresses? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What style are you looking for? There are tons of sales floating around with decent "holiday" dresses worth looking at. I don't have pictures of me in my Wintertime dresses but most have come from Banana Republic years ago that still hold fashion now.

Quote | Reply
I was thinking about this one.

http://www.kiyonna.com/...ing/Dresses/14080901

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a lot of luck the last few years at White House Black Market for holiday dresses, they have an outlet by where I live too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice! I like that it's not too revealing, but still feminine. Very appropriate for a work holiday party. Now we want to see you in it girl!

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will now say something that younger me will cringe at (esp. since young me was a grunge fan... :p): Dress Barn.

It is a horrid name, but I have had good luck finding stuff there for holiday parties and weddings and the like. Dressier stuff that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. You might also try Marshall's, although that can be more hit-or-miss.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nordstrom is always a great place for dresses depending on your budget. Macy's and yes... Dress Barn are also great places to look.
My co-workers embrace I do triathlons and will expect me to show up in lycra of some sort, a running skirt and recovery socks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions. When I get home I'll search the net for those stores.

I went to Ross and to tj max. They had some pretty dresses, but I couldn't find anything that fit right. I'm going to Macy's this weekend. I'm going to check Kohls also.

I really hate dress shopping. Summer dresses, skirts, pants. No problem. Fancy party dresses, ugh!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good luck at Saks Off Fifth, Neimans Last Call and Nordstrom Rack.

I don't know what your figure is like, but mine is tough and it's hard for me to find flattering dresses. I've found that the higher end dresses just tend to have nicer cuts & lines and look better. I think if you're 20 years old and size 2, you can get away with stuff like F21 or H&M, but if not (and I'm certainly not!), try brands like Tahari, Diane Von Furstenburg, and Trina Turk.
Last edited by: Elsa: Nov 15, 12 8:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Jennifer Lopez collection at Kohls has a few pieces that look good. Some are made for the younger women but others are universal in age. Target is also a good place to look. Not knowing your size, I think the dress you have in mind is nice but it is looks to be a true plus size style. Play it safe by getting a dress that can be worn throughout the year, not just at holiday time. Same with the shoes.

Quote | Reply
I second Nordstrom. They have all types of styles that would work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Can we talk about holiday dresses? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just jealous you all have office holiday parties that require a fancy dress. At my office, we just order in some food (last year it was a pig roast) at the main office for lunch on a Friday. But I guess we do get to go home early that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Can we talk about holiday dresses? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not mine either. I haven't been to any office holiday party in at least 12 years. I don't even own a holiday dress. I do kinda oogle them at Nordstrom though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
I'm just jealous you all have office holiday parties that require a fancy dress. At my office, we just order in some food (last year it was a pig roast) at the main office for lunch on a Friday. But I guess we do get to go home early that day.

Trust me, the best part if the party is dress shopping. I have two this year, my cousins and mine. She works at Home Depot so the party should be fun. I work in a stuffy office. The only possible way to make it through the night is to head to the bar im early and often.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys order food? Man, that must be sweet... ;-)

I echo the jealousy of dressy holiday party. Our team usually goes out for lunch and does some sort of activity (last year we went to a movie) but the company doesn't pick up the tab or anything like that.

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't had any luck yet, try Target. I was in the store this morning nosing around and saw a lot of attractive dresses on clearance and at full price. All of the cute dresses were less than $25.

Quote | Reply
if you know your measurements and what sort of styles suit you best, eBay can be a treasure trove. Of course it's hit or miss, but for me it's so much of a hit that I can essentially 'rent' dresses for an occasion and sell them on again another time. You do need to have a fairly firm idea of what you want (sequins, velvet, long sleeves, length, etc.) and have the foresight to buy a couple, just in case, but I find that even multiple buying (and every so often, a bit of tailoring or dry cleaning!) turns out much cheaper than getting something new what with the markups, etc. Sparkle on!
Quote Reply