Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013
Quote | Reply
Finally!
Race will be point to point.
Swim Start and T1 will be at The Davidson College Lake Campus on Langtree Road, Cornelius. T2/Finish at Bailey Road Park, Cornelius.
I haven't seen either course. Wetsuit legal.
5 weeks before Beach 2 Battleship.
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [trophyhusband] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link?
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None yet, but this should help....
The 2013 event will be announced on November 1, 2012 along with the specific date and time for online registration.
Online registration for the 2013 event will open on November 12, 2012.
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [trophyhusband] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm pretty clueless. Is this a WTC event?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome, especially since I am moving back to Charlotte next week. It won't be a flat race, but should be nice and rolling in that area.

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Setup Events. Bam! Cannot wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is that a bam on setupevents?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [TriRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRooster wrote:
Why is that a bam on setupevents?
In Reply To:

Because the produce a great quality event and don't bend you over with entry fees?

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that. I thought he was slamming setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRooster wrote:
I know that. I thought he was slamming setup.

Glenn, never. Bam was an expression of excitement about a race happening in my back yard. I hope this clears things up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So......the same day as Augusta?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
So......the same day as Augusta?

Yes, looks like this is on the same day as Augusta 70.3. But this race and Augusta are over 3 hours drive apart. I don't see this being much of a problem for either race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link to a half distance race is up on 9/29/2013, not a WTC..

http://setupevents.com/...ail&eventID=2355

Quote | Reply
fasterthanTIM wrote:
Link to a half distance race is up on 9/29/2013, not a WTC..

http://setupevents.com/...ail&eventID=2355[/quote]

Limit of 500 racers......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would much rather do a smaller Set Up race then a 70.3.

My race schedule next year:

Mountain Madness Half: http://setupevents.com/...ail&eventID=2239

Charlotte Half

B2B Half or Full

Quote | Reply
They're calling it the "Carolina Half", and it was just announced today with the rest of the North Carolina Tri Series 2013 races:

Carolina Half: http://setupevents.com/...ail&eventID=2355

Swim:
The swim will take place at Davidson College Lake Campus off Langtree Rd. Water temperature in Lake Norman is usually around 70 degrees which will make for a fast wetsuit legal swim. The swim will be a beach start, with participants lining up shoulder to shoulder. It will be a triangle clock wise swim course with two turns. Swim bouys will be positioned every 100 meters throughout the course. The swim exit will be a ladder exit at the end of the pier.

Transition #1 - The swim to bike transition is will be at Davidson College Lake Campus. The swim to bike transition is about 1/4 mile due to the finish location of the swim and the start location of the bike. The road from swim finish to T1 is not paved, it is a gravel road. We will provide a location at swim finish to place shoes, so participants have the option to utilize them when running from swim finish to T1.

Bike:
The bike course is a 56 mile loop that will run thorugh 4 different counties. The course will start out by going directly through Downtown Moorsville heading out into rural areas of NC. The course is a combination of flats, rolling hills, rural and urban areas. The Road surface is very good throughout the course.

Transition #2 - The bike to run transition will be at Bailey Road Park.

Run Course:
The run course is an "out & back" design. The course is rolling, features a fair amount of shading, but also some long stretches without shade. The course will leave Bailey Rd Park and connect to the Davidson Greenway system. It will utilize the Davidson Greenway system, Davidson College, and surrounding neighborhoods in Davidson/Cornelius.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what's the deal with those "Setup Cup Qualifier" NCTS races? Couldn't find anymore information on that Setup Cup race.
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [Rage KG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rage KG wrote:
So what's the deal with those "Setup Cup Qualifier" NCTS races? Couldn't find anymore information on that Setup Cup race.

The Set Up Cup race is a free oly/international distance race that will be held in Spring 2014. The exact location has not been announced yet, but look for it to be a very unique venue.

You must complete 5 Set Up Cup qualifying races to be eligible for the free race, but each series only has 3 qualifier races. Set Up Events is trying to entice athletes to race in other series besides the one in their home state.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be pretty cool to have a decent distance race around here. The biggest tri in this area has been the Lake Norman YMCA sprint and it fills up every year with about 2,000 participants. I haven't done it the past couple of years, but I think that is still the case. Anyone that wants to do this had better plan on registering at midnight because I predict it will fill up in minutes with a limit of 500.

I am looking forward to the event. I suspect the bike course will include many of my regular routes and if they use the Davidson Greenway system for the run course leaving from Bailey Road Park, they will end up running through my neighborhood too. Seems crazy to send the riders through downtown Mooresville, though. There are other, less congested ways to pass through the area although I suspect the Chamber of Commerce may have wanted it that way.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
This will be pretty cool to have a decent distance race around here. The biggest tri in this area has been the Lake Norman YMCA sprint and it fills up every year with about 2,000 participants. I haven't done it the past couple of years, but I think that is still the case. Anyone that wants to do this had better plan on registering at midnight because I predict it will fill up in minutes with a limit of 500.

I am looking forward to the event. I suspect the bike course will include many of my regular routes and if they use the Davidson Greenway system for the run course leaving from Bailey Road Park, they will end up running through my neighborhood too. Seems crazy to send the riders through downtown Mooresville, though. There are other, less congested ways to pass through the area although I suspect the Chamber of Commerce may have wanted it that way.

Greg

The Lake Norman YMCA triathlon (put on by the same people as the new Carolina Half) has a limit of 800 racers. I did the race in 2010. There is no way that facility has ever had a race anywhere near 2,000 people.

I disagree with your prediction of a sellout in minutes. In the Sept/Oct timeframe in the Southeast athletes have many half iron choices:

Ironman 70.3 Augusta, Rev3 Anderson SC, FS Series Half (Jordan Lake), Outer Banks Half, B2B Half and now Carolina Half.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, haven't been keeping close track for a while. Regardless, didn't they go to the Sat/Sun format to allow more participants? I thought they were allowing 800-1,200 per day.

I think the Charlotte 70.3 will sellout before the other races you mentioned because just about all of the Charlotte participants would prefer to race here than travelling to the other locations. There will be a significant number of 70.3 first timers too, I believe. There is a big population base here and I am going to predict it sells out fast, but maybe you are right. We'll see.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
The biggest tri in this area has been the Lake Norman YMCA sprint and it fills up every year with about 2,000 participants.

I see Nick has already corrected this but where in the world did you pull 2000 from??

Quote:
Anyone that wants to do this had better plan on registering at midnight because I predict it will fill up in minutes with a limit of 500.

Seriously, seriously doubt that. They haven't had a race sell out that fast in a couple of years. There's nothing THAT special about this race, just that it's close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike and run courses have been posted: http://setupevents.com/...Half_Course_Maps.pdf
Quote Reply

Prev Next