Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on if this storm is severe enough, power outages, etc...that it will impact NYC Marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like any remnants will be out of there by Thursday. Even if its a historic storm, NYC should be back to normal by Sunday. I could see Amtrak being an issue for folks traveling on Thursday/Friday if there is a ton of debris on the tracks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's looking pretty bad- a couple of the forecast tracks want to put the storm in a place to create the dread funneling scenario up the Husdon River, and low-lying coastal areas could end up pretty fubar.

The question becomes whether the law enforcement & emergency services used in the race are still needed in other areas at that point, and that might be the case here.

I'd also try to change any flights into Newark at this point; it's the airport most likely to resume normal service first.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad, an amateur armchair meteorologist, thinks the subway system will flood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything that helps me have a shot at Top100 again, please.

Geez, that's selfish.

Quote | Reply
uli wrote:
Anything that helps me have a shot at Top100 again, please.

Geez, that's selfish.

This thread on letsrun.com has a poster claiming that FEMA believes they will cancel the marathon. It is letsrun, so not very reliable, but quite worrisome if true:

http://www.letsrun.com/...d.php?thread=4876723

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all the flight cancellations there will be an impact, for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an event planner myself, I know how much work the week prior to something like the NYC mary is. I am sure glad I am not managing that event. What a nightmare. There is far more to putting that marathon on than what happens on Saturday and Sunday. All the preparations that should be happening this week just are not going to get done. Even if the storm is gone and cleaned up by the weekend, this will be a huge impact on the race. Yikes.

t

My Blog:
http://www.staggerforwardrejoicing.com
Ultrarunning & Parenting: There is no finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [prajna101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is good news:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nyc-marathon-organizers-expect-little-effect-from-hurricane-sandy-on-sundays-race/2012/10/29/c9f09da2-21eb-11e2-92f8-7f9c4daf276a_story.html

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an event planner myself, I know how much work the week prior to something like the NYC mary is. I am sure glad I am not managing that event. What a nightmare. There is far more to putting that marathon on than what happens on Saturday and Sunday. All the preparations that should be happening this week just are not going to get done. Even if the storm is gone and cleaned up by the weekend, this will be a huge impact on the race. Yikes.

This.

Indeed, Yikes

Not so much for Race Day next Sunday, but for all the stuff that will be going on during the week, and then the transportation in of many people will be delayed I am sure. If airports are shut down and all flights in/out cancelled for a day or two, then there is a massive back-log and ripple effect with that.

Heck, I am traveling in the opposite direction - from Toronto to Winnipeg - tomorrow morning, and I there may be problems with my flight. Not because of the weather, but that the plane that was to be used for my flight, is not available as it's stuck in NYC!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Oct 29, 12 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe getting rid of bag check will help alleviate the stresses sandy is putting on race staging :)
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

This.

Indeed, Yikes

Not so much for Race Day next Sunday, but for all the stuff that will be going on during the week, and then the transportation in of many people will be delayed I am sure. If airports are shut down and all flights in/out cancelled for a day or two, then there is a massive back-log and ripple effect with that.

Heck, I am traveling in the opposite direction - from Toronto to Winnipeg - tomorrow morning, and I there may be problems with my flight. Not because of the weather, but that the plane that was to be used for my flight, is not available as it's stuck in NYC!

The <Delayed> transportation of the many people is rather secondary to the decision of whether there is a cancellation/alteration of the race.

The damage of this storm is not even realized yet as we are still several hours away for high tides with record amount of tide surge, the eye hitting land, infrastructure damage etc. Area (s) of the course can be severely damage and not repairable by Sunday.

Plus the placement and priority of the emergency services personnel will probably be elsewhere come Sunday.

Those, IMO, will be the most important factors into if the races is on or not. Whether there in 1 runner than get to the start or 35,000
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm friends with the Captain of the Coast Guard base on Staten Island, which is the race start. He told me last week that the port-o-johns were already being delivered. 4,000 port-o-johns and 70 MPH winds isn't a good combination. Good thing I'll pre race access to the Captain's house and toilets.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would bet it doesn't happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as of now, the weather was much worse in auckland the week before worlds last week than what manhattan has gotten. this is nothing. just a little wind and rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [RushTogether] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take that bet. I bet it happens. Knowing the NYRR no longer really cares much for the average runner, they'll worry about their bottom line first. If they can do the race and only one person can make it, and they still make money...

Also, 9/11 didn't stop the marathon and the city certainly was feeling the impact marathon morning (which yeah, was not a few days after, but still).

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Last edited by: Mendeldave: Oct 29, 12 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mendeldave wrote:
I'll take that bet. I bet it happens. Knowing the NYRR no longer really cares much for the average runner, they'll worry about their bottom line first. If they can do the race and only one person can make it, and they still make money...

Also, 9/11 didn't stop the marathon and the city certainly was feeling the impact marathon morning (which yeah, was not a few days after, but still).

it's not nyrr's call. if it were, it would be on with 100% certainty. it's the city's call and the city can tell nyrr it's canceled. 9/11 was 2 months before the nycm so i'm not sure why you are comparing the 2. a better comparison is the freak snowstorm last year that brought down 100s of trees in central park a week before the marathon. the debris were cleaned up and then race went on.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems like the NYCM has sent me an e-mail a day for the last 5 months, and this week.....nothing.

I am guessing the race will go on. I'll also go ahead and guess that they'll grant deferments to people that can't get there due to travel disruption (caused by the storm).

These are all pure guesses.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYC Marathon not expected to be affected by storm
Associated Press
NEW YORK — New York City Marathon organizers expect Hurricane Sandy to have little effect on Sunday's race.
"We're extraordinarily lucky the marathon is not today," New York Road Runners President Mary Wittenberg said during a conference call Monday as wind and rain started to batter the city.
Instead, she said, "we have time on our side" — enough to prepare the course and for runners to travel to the city after the superstorm passes through.
And if flooding or other damage affects the course or logistics, NYRR has contingency plans every year to adjust to any potential problems.
The route through the five boroughs mostly avoids areas considered at highest risk for flooding. The biggest concerns center on getting entrants their numbers and to the starting line on Staten Island.
The ferry buildings used by about half the runners to travel from Manhattan to the start are in at-risk areas. Many other entrants take buses through the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, which could flood. The Javits Center, where runners pick up their numbers, is also in an affected area.
The storm could knock down trees and limbs in Central Park, where the 26.2-mile race finishes. Wittenberg noted that the city was able to clear the park in time for last year's race a week after a freak snowstorm caused extensive damage.
NYRR organizes about 50 events a year and has dealt with obstacles ranging from heavy snow to lightning to security concerns.
"We've been through close to it all," Wittenberg said.
Organizers expect to reschedule flights to get all the elite athletes to New York early. And Wittenberg was confident that most of the nearly 20,000 amateur international runners signed up would eventually make it in time. The hours for number pickup will probably be extended for those who arrive late Saturday.
For runners who can't get to New York, the deadline to withdraw from the race and guarantee a spot in next year's event likely will be pushed back from Wednesday to Saturday. They would still have to pay the entry fee again next year under normal race policy.
The ceremonial finish-line painting scheduled for Wednesday has been canceled, along with a news conference Tuesday. A children's run Thursday has been moved from Central Park to an indoor track, and the pavilion in the park has been taken down for the time being. If power is lost, generators or backup systems are in key locations.
Otherwise, Wittenberg expects race week will look much the same to New Yorkers and competitors. Extra time is always built into planning, and 700 part-time workers and 8,000 volunteers ensure the course can be set up quickly.
"We remain extremely confident we will have an amazing weekend," she said.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll do it either way. Might have to start after Verrazano and add a couple miles in the park but if it doesn't happen, I'll need a long run for my alternate race.

Quote | Reply
Thats an extremely optimistic outlook. I hope it works out but being a resident of the city and seeing whats going on already - before the worst has actually even hit - I highly doubt it will. Highly doubt it. ConEd is shutting off power to lower manhattan in the next hour or two (or immediately). Areas all over the city are already flooded. The problem will be logistics and the simple fact that I have a very low level of confidence that you're going to be able to get people into/out of the city.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYC is getting slammed. It sucks not knowing if I am racing in 6 days!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6 blocks from the river in lower Manhattan and we've already got water knee deep and its rising. Most all of lower Manhattan is without power. For all of those in the city, be safe!

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, a 90 degree day for Boston and a hurricane for NYC within six months, crazy couple of marathons!

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Will Tropical Storm Sandy impact NYC Marathon [Mad Jee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WSJ on twitter is reporting there is seawater in the subways and auto tunnels, and it could take a week to open up again

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply

Prev Next