Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility...
Quote | Reply
Just spoke to the people at Zipp and found out some interesting info...

The conversion from 10 speed to 11 will cost $250.00 through Zipp. It is only going to be offered for 2012 wheels. I thought it was interesting that they cut it off 2012, and did not include the entire FC line up. It might be wise to sell your current FC rears if you plan on going to 11 speed in the future.

I would guess that other companies might do the conversion on earlier wheels, but total speculation on my part.

Here is the link...

http://www.zipp.com/about/story.php?ID=496
Last edited by: Donzo98: Oct 22, 12 15:07
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that in the near future there will be 10-speed cassettes available that will have shimano 11-speed cog spacing, so these special cassettes will fit on any older 8/9/10-speed rear wheel. You'll just lose one cog position when using 11-speed drivetrains.

Hopefully someone will start making these.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of our current wheels come with 11-speed compatible driver bodies and a spacer that allows for 10-speed cassettes to be used, as well.

Quote | Reply
waitebe wrote:
All of our current wheels come with 11-speed compatible driver bodies and a spacer that allows for 10-speed cassettes to be used, as well.

What is the definition of "current"?? I have the 2012 BB 808 FC series.... I assume that only the 2013 line has this set up. Correct??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct. The *current* wheels we are building are model year 13.

Quote | Reply
waitebe wrote:
You are correct. The *current* wheels we are building are model year 13.

Thanks for the fast response... great to have you on here for answers :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, you have to think Mavic were pretty lucky. They went to an 11-speed compatible body years ago because they didn't want to have redished wheels in inventory for Campy and Shimano. So they built a narrower hub that would be compatible with both cassette types and just ran a fat spacer on Shimano cassettes. In hindsight, this was brilliant as all of their wheels are Shimano 11-speed compatible.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
You know, you have to think Mavic were pretty lucky. They went to an 11-speed compatible body years ago because they didn't want to have redished wheels in inventory for Campy and Shimano. So they built a narrower hub that would be compatible with both cassette types and just ran a fat spacer on Shimano cassettes. In hindsight, this was brilliant as all of their wheels are Shimano 11-speed compatible.

Do you know how far back this goes? My wife has Shimano 9 speed on Kyserium wheels. We are considering upgrading her group in the coming year. The wheels were bought in 2002 and are in great shape so we would like to keep using them.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [waitebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waitebe wrote:

Sure.

But the more interesting thing for some of us is how to get a, say, 2009 zipp rear wheel to work with shimano 11-speed drivetrains without a wheel conversion or re-dishing. That's where a new type of cassette like I described would be a very simple and elegant solution.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgran wrote:
Do you know how far back this goes? My wife has Shimano 9 speed on Kyserium wheels. We are considering upgrading her group in the coming year. The wheels were bought in 2002 and are in great shape so we would like to keep using them.

It needs to be able to use the current Mavic cassette bodies. I believe this change over was for the 2009 model year wheels and forward.
Last edited by: nightfend: Oct 22, 12 12:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
waitebe wrote:

Sure.

But the more interesting thing for some of us is how to get a, say, 2009 zipp rear wheel to work with shimano 11-speed drivetrains without a wheel conversion or re-dishing. That's where a new type of cassette like I described would be a very simple and elegant solution.

Ahh... I see what you are talking about now :) I wasn't thinking about it from that side. I just assumed that people willing to invest in the newer 11 speed group would also be willing to upgrade or convert their wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if I want to upgrade from shimano 10 speed to 11 speed I have two choices,

1) Shimano: upgrade my groupo and get my wheels rebuilt with new hubs.
2) Campy: upgrade my groupo and replace the free hub bodies.

Hmm, if the above is correct, I'd be inclined to go back to Campy.

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Last edited by: Bell Head: Oct 22, 12 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if that is necessarily true regarding Campy. I just upgraded from Chorus 10 to Record 11 on my Trek SC. Training wheel is a DT with Powertap, just put the new 11 speed cassette on there. Same with my race wheel, HED Stinger 90 with Powertap. No body swapping needed.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dirty little secret is that Dura-Ace 11 is works with 11-speed campy wheels. It has to do with the rear derailleur pulley having enough float to work with the narrower campy 11-speed cassette. Some riders that have gotten the 11-speed group early have been testing this. Doesn't work the other way though, so you won't be able to use Shimano 11-speed wheels with campy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I just ordered a set of 2012 404FCs with an add. Campy free hub body.
Will it work with my Campy 11 speed setup?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct. I wasn't clear in my post, which I've since edited, but those are the choices if I want to upgrade my Shimano 10 speed to any 11 speed. Given those choices if I ever do upgrade to an 11 speed system from my Shimano 10 speed system, a switch to campy would make sense.

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
I don't know if that is necessarily true regarding Campy. I just upgraded from Chorus 10 to Record 11 on my Trek SC. Training wheel is a DT with Powertap, just put the new 11 speed cassette on there. Same with my race wheel, HED Stinger 90 with Powertap. No body swapping needed.

I realize this is an old post but would like to confirm if this is correct? I have also emailed the Australian Zipp distributor the same...

I am looking to upgrade my bike and have a set of non-dimpled 404’s with Zipp 182 hubs – Silver Campagnolo compatible freehub as my race wheels.

I am still undecided on the groupset, but would like to continue using these wheels on the new bike. Most likely it will be either Campagnolo 11 speed or SRAM Red.

Campagnolo – is the silver Campagnolo freehub able to take Campagnolo 11 speed? Or can this hub accept the later model coloured freehub which can be used with 11 Speed?
Shimano – is the Shimano/SRAM 10 speed hub able to take 11 speed Shimano?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [Dalai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campy 11-speed spacing is slightly different than shimano 11-speed spacing. You're gonna get less than ideal shifting as you get to close to the end of the cassette.

But if you want perfect shifting and want to use a shimano 11-speed cassette on an older zipp wheel, it is possible if you're OK using an 11-25 cassette (and you use a simple trick to get it to work).

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plan would be to use the Campagnolo compatible freehub running Campagnolo 11 speed (Campagnolo FAQ's suggest 11 speed fits on 9/10 speed Campagnolo compatible wheels). But details on the Zipp site suggest otherwise.

Or

Swap the freehub to Shimano / SRAM compatible freehub and run either SRAM Red which will definitely fit but it appears Shimano 11 speed won't?

Interested what the simple trick would be as 11-25 is fine if I went with Shimano 11 speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [Dalai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dalai wrote:

Interested what the simple trick would be as 11-25 is fine if I went with Shimano 11 speed.

Take a shimano 11-speed cassette (11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25), drop out 1 cog and 1 spacer (the 16) to make a 10-speed cassette (11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25) with perfect 11-speed spacing. Mount this cassette on any 8/9/10 speed shimano compatible rear wheel with one standard (1mm thick) shimano cassette spacer behind it. Set up your 11-speed derailleur and shifters to just use 10 "clicks". Now you're set.

Very likely you can do this, as appropriate, to campy 11-speed and sram 11-speed road cassettes too.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 1, 13 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks DarkSpeedWorks.

After doing a little more searching, my hub is actually not 182 but the earlier 202 hub. Hoping someone with this wheel can confirm it does take a Campagnolo 11 speed cassette?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great to know! Have you (or anyone else) confirmed it? I have a prestine 808 set (silver hubs) that is now being put on a new Orbea Ordu (DA 9000). Given how much I splurged on the bike, it seems like a tragedy to have to buy a new rear wheel because of the 11-speed setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty luck or very smart are the people at Mavic

http://stuartwalpole.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Wheels and 11 speed compatibility... [UNC_Tri_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone on this board did this mod., and it worked for them. They did it slightly different, but their mod. is equivalent, and it worked fine. If it helps the thread is linked here.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told black hubs can be converted and silver can't as a rule of thumb.

If you are sure you will fail, or convinced you will succeed, you are probably right.....
Quote Reply

Prev Next