Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq w/ 2 bikes...1 BB30, 1 BSA
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure i have it all figured out, but just want to verify first...

When using a Quarq on bikes that have different bottom brackets, one is BB30, one is BSA English, I should be getting a GXP Quarq, and on the BB30 bike I'll use a BB30>BSA adaptor like the ones from Wheels or Rotor, correct?

That's the best way to do this?
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq w/ 2 bikes...1 BB30, 1 BSA [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Just make sure to get a GXP BB for the BSA bike.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two ways:

1. Get a BB30 crank
Use no adapter, just BB30 bearings, on the BB30 bike and a Rotor BSA30 bottom bracket on the BSA bike.

2. Get a GXP crank
Use a BB30 to GXP adapter (wheels mfg and others) on the BB30 bike and use a GXP bottom bracket on the BSA bike.

Either should work.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq w/ 2 bikes...1 BB30, 1 BSA [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know option 1 won't work with the Quarq bb30 as the spindle length isn't long enough to be used with a GXP/BSA converter.

Option 2 should work as a GXP spindle is the right length to be use in both a GXP/BSA & BB30 BB.

I read a great article online somewhere which really explains the issue indepth.

I'll try and dig it out and post the link.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq w/ 2 bikes...1 BB30, 1 BSA [DaveyP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if it is a sram red 2012 bb30 quarq, it will work with a bsa30 bb on a bsa bb bike
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq w/ 2 bikes...1 BB30, 1 BSA [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really! I didn't know that. Have they change the length of the spindle on the 2012 model?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. I've got a 2011 Quarq BB30 (S975) on my P3 with a BSA30 Rotor BB. It has always been like that.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Oct 17, 12 14:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's because the 975 is bbright native (long spindle bb30). It needs shims/spacers to run on a bb30 bearing set. A true bb30 crank (cannondales/specialized quarqs, older sram) will not work with rotor's bottom bracket, as the crank spindles are too short.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq w/ 2 bikes...1 BB30, 1 BSA [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. But since he was asking about GXP BB, it was safe to assume that he was looking at a SRAM Quarq.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True, as long as it's a newer Quarq, and not a used model--I can't remember if there has been a SRAM Quarq that is a true bb30 (historically speaking). That's my only worry.

Personally, the 24mm spindle isn't really a material loss, so I'd be inclined to go the gxp route.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused! You've got me questioning everything I thought I knew.
A bb30 bb shell is 68mm a GXP is 86mm inc bearing cups, I though sram BB30 cranks were design specifically for use in BB30 thus having a shorter spindle as a result. Are the Quarq variants constructed with a longer spindle to the normal sram red cranks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they currently use rotor spindles, i was told
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New SRAM cranks are built to bbright standards. You would use a ~11mm spacer on the non-drive side to fit a bb30 frame with the crank. Essentially they're standardizing on the S975 format for all their cranksets.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa, a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Long story short, this person is right:

jmh wrote:
Two ways:

1. Get a BB30 crank
Use no adapter, just BB30 bearings, on the BB30 bike and a Rotor BSA30 bottom bracket on the BSA bike.

2. Get a GXP crank
Use a BB30 to GXP adapter (wheels mfg and others) on the BB30 bike and use a GXP bottom bracket on the BSA bike.

Either should work.

Any model year of SRAM Quarq BB30 will work with a Rotor BSA30/Zipp Vuma BB on a BSA frame. The same goes for S900 and S950 BB30 cranksets.

They do not use Rotor spindles.

They are not transferring the S900/S950/S975 standard to any other cranksets. Any of their other BB30 cranksets will not work on a BSA frame.

Edit: Personally I'd go for Option 1. The less adapters the better, in my opinion. Plus it ends up being lighter if I recall correctly.
Last edited by: durk onion: Oct 17, 12 15:15
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq w/ 2 bikes...1 BB30, 1 BSA [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quarq told me they did use rotor spindles on the sram red. i can probably find it in an email, but would take a long time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it would appear that it is just a Quarq thing and not applicable across all other sram bb30 cranks. I just assumed all BB30 sram cracks would have the same spindle length Quarq or not.

Do you know if the Same is applicable to a SRAM SRM BB30 crank set? Can it be used in a standard BSA BB with the appropriate converter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S975, S950, S900 cranks only work with the Rotor BSA30 bottom bracket. That should include the SRAM SRM which is based on the S975 crank lke the Quarq. (the S900 and S950 are the non power meter versions).

BB30 versions of the Red and Force cranks have a shorter spindle and will not work.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great thanks very much. Very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean less adaptors? Based on what I've read here & elsewhere, it seems like either option is valid, as long as a Sram Quarq is used.

Quarq BB30 > > > Native BB30 bearings on BB30 bike, BSA30 adaptor on BSA bike.

Quarq GXP > > > Wheels/ProblemSolvers/Enduro step-down adaptors on BB30 bike, native external cups on BSA bike.

Right? I can't really think of a case where on is better than the other. I called Quarq & they said they recommend option 2, but I couldn't really get a great answer out of them other than something about the bearing size on the BSA30 adaptor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I don't really consider the BSA30/Vuma BB an "adapter." The bearing makes direct contact with the spindle. If you go Option 2, then you have to use some sort of shim between the BB30 bearings and the GXP spindle which could lead to creaking.

In reality it probably doesn't really matter either way. I just try and stay away from shims because I'm stubborn.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq w/ 2 bikes...1 BB30, 1 BSA [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
quarq told me they did use rotor spindles on the sram red. i can probably find it in an email, but would take a long time

I'm sorry if you were misinformed, but we do not use Rotor spindles on our SRAM Red Quarq powermeter.

All versions of SRAM Quarq BB30 cranks have the same spindle length. It has not changed since we first sold them. In other words the S900/S950 platform that was used for our CinQo Saturn models as well as the new SRAM Red Quarq BB30 cranks all have the same spindle setup. They have a spacer that can be removed that allows them to fit in the BBright bikes as well. See here: http://www.youtube.com/...OGI&feature=plcp

They are different from regular SRAM BB30 cranks which do not have that spacer and won't fit on BBright bottom brackets. I think that is where a lot of confusion comes from.

Mieke
Quarq Technology
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I hear ya. I still can't quite understand how a BB30 spindle is long enough to fit the external cups of a BSA frame, but they wouldn't sell it if it didn't work I suppose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a S975 BB30 there is a large (11mm I think) spacer on the drive side behind the spider and a preload adjuster on the non-drive side which is around the same thickness. If you take these off (both slide off) then you have roughly 11mm extra per side. This is where the room for the external BSA30 bearings comes from.

When you put one of these on a BBRight bike, you remove the preload adjuster so that is common.

-Mike

-Mike

Vertex Fit Systems (http://www.vertexfitsystems.com) | Bikeworks (http://www.bikeworksma.com) | Russo Racing (http://www.r2tri.com)
Quote Reply