Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? October 15 Edition
Quote | Reply
Halloween is coming!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 15 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decent. I got in some workouts and some studying.
Fri. morning back home I got up and ran 9mi. It was the fastest I've ever ran that route, and I wasn't trying!
four minutes faster than my previous fastest for the route. yay!

Had fun at the 'cross race yesterday, the course was much more suited to me... less of a mt. bike course and more of a "cross" course in my opinion. I finished ahead of a lady who whooped me last time when it was more of a mt. biker's course. She races mt. bikes. I don't. Comparing lap times from the past couple of races, if the course is more like yesterday's course, I could probably race the next category up. If not, then I get smoked. Kind of encouraging. :)

Oh, and husband put new brakes on my cross bike and therefore I got to use the fancy zipp wheels with the challenge fango tires. OH MY GOSH! I LOVED IT!!!
What a difference!!
Last edited by: determination: Oct 15, 12 10:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pretty good week. My goals were 1-2 swims, 1-2 bikes, let running take care of itself. I met all those goals.
I did binge one night. Was super tired and stressed. I am still doing well overall so I am happy with that, though I am disappointed about having binged. It was stupid, too - I'd gone to pick up one thing at the store, got sucked into buying some cheap candy (ooh! 99 cent halloween candy!) while super tired, not good to have that in the house. Wine also seems to make me want chocolate... I had wine that night then binged on the candy.

Anyway, workouts
M - 8 mi run + 9 mi bike
T - 7 mi run + 5300 yd swim
W - 8 mi run + 6 mi bike
T - 7.5 mi run + 7300 yd swim
F - 8 mi run + 3000 yd swim
S - 8 mi run + 20 mi bike
S - 8 mi run + 6 mi bike

Totals: 15,600 yds swum; 40 mi bike; 55.5 mi run

Psyched with swimming. Friday I did 20 x 100 on 1:25; this morning I did 14 x 100 on 1:25 + 10 x 100 on 1:20 + 500 (6:19).

Goals for this week: 3 swims, 2 rides, let running take care of itself. No bingeing!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow I was worthless. Worth. Less. I "swam" twice, once about 1500yd & once about 2500. I made it halfway through the practice before my shoulder just said no more. I suppose it's the recovery aspect - as my sleeping, eating and work have also been outta whack too. I "coached" our OWS yesterday in bad shape. The cold water helped me out-swim most of the hangover, so that was a bonus on some level.

This week - dear God I just want to start moving again. I bailed on practice this morning because I slept horribly again last night. I'll swim a couple/few thousand tonight just to move a little & hopefully make me tired enough to sleep. I'll try again for practice in the morning & then on W/F also. I'm hoping to sneak in a cycling class & maybe a run as well, to see if i can still move my muscles for either of those.

Here's to college football & the "off season" trying to kill me already! Really, I'm not allowed to start drinking at noon and expect to survive. When you're in bed by 11, the hangover starts by midnight and you're throwing up by 2a...you've either done something very right or very, very wrong!!!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my "A" race, a 5 mile swim--my first long distance ows race. Did OK, coming in the top third of my AG, and finishing alongside some experienced long distance ow swimmers. It was really, really cold (air temps in the 30s, water temps around 60-62). Cold makes me stupid, and I didn't execute as well as I had expected. My kayaker saved me from getting run over by racing crew boats by running over me first! Ha!

On PT's orders, it's now two weeks of complete rest, with only walking, stretching and PT. Then we're going to give a go at adding back in running and cycling. I am so ready. My poor bike is just sitting in the corner gathering dust. :-(

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 15 Edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaa!! That sounds both awesome and horrible at the same time.

I'm pleased to report I got in all my runs this week but yesterday's was a little short. It was pouring rain and cold and when I did the out and back I turned around too soon. I thought about running past my apt and tacking on the 3/4 but I said screw it, I'm cold!

Monday: Rest
Tues: Run 5
Wed: 4.6 miles. Track workout. Need to be smarter about these. It wrecked me for the rest of this week.
Thurs: Run 4
Fri: Rest
Sat: Run 5
Sun: Run 7.25 Was supposed to be 8

Total running: 25.85 miles

This week I'm adding in a swim on Mon and Friday to be sure I get in the required workouts for the LR Challenge. Otherwise Run

Mon: Swim 1500-2000 I'm not training for anything so will pick a workout from my Swim Workouts for Triathletes book and do it.
Tues: Run
Wed: Track, mile repeats. Probably 5 x (1 mile with 400 easy) If I'm rocking it I'll add a mile at a time.
Thurs: Run
Fri: Swim 1500-200 Same as Monday
Sat: Run
Sun: Run

I'll get closer to 30 miles running this week. Probably around 28. Still working on specific mileage for the week.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 4: WIN with 5
- bike x 1 (done yesterday - nice easy 40k mtb on rail trail): WIN
- swim x 3: WIN
- core/strength x 3 w/focus on mobility/stretch: WIN

and huge WIN taking 12:09 off my 2010 time for the 25k trail race i did on saturday, despite almost zero long runs since march (a 10 miler 2 weeks before the race and 13-ish km the week before - nothing over 12km apart from those). i was a little faster than the 25k i did last year, too, but i'm sure the other one is a more challenging course. i even got out for a swim yesterday morning and the 20c weather tempted me out for a few easy kilometers in the afternoon!

this week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 2
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

easy stuff, focusing on recovery - legs are still wickedly sore and have to be ready to run for 6 hours on the 27th.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Mon-off
Tues- run 2 miles & 1 hr yoga
Weds- run 2 miles
Thurs- walk--hills 1.8 miles
Fri- got a flu shot and walked home from the drug store (1 mile) with my little sister (she started whining after 5 minutes, and the walking home was her idea).
Sat- worked a swim meet as an official weekend so was on my feet for 11 hours.
Sun- bike 5.6 miles x2 (rode to and from swim meet) only on feet for 9 hours.

Today's swim felt great-- no one in the lap pool in the gym, sis and I each had our own lanes for most of our workout.
Goals for this week: get at least 1 more swim in, run as many times this week as I can, get a bike ride in.
Where is the fall in SoCal?? It was bloody hot yesterday, not suppose to cool down until the weekend, so will be suffering through 80-90+ degree temps all week.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 15 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent! Glad it went well...cold makes for a much more challenging day both in body and stomach responses. It completely changes how you use fuel, how you think and how your body digests it! I've got to figure out how to work on my nutrition for the swimming, it's apparently much different than when cycling/running.

Good job for dealing with it and taking on the experienced kids! Bank that knowledge, I look forward to hearing more!

I'm beginning to think I'll never do another swim without a kayaker!

Mistressk - great job on the run! I was thinking about you the other day when I saw someone smoking after a workout....thinking about how much improvement you've seen in such a (relatively) short time. I'm so proud!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep--it does change how I think. Cold makes me stupid. For example, I ran out of calories after mile 3, and completely forgot I had a spare bottle on board the kayak.

And as a beginner swimmer, the cold (and the other swimmers, and other kayakers, and crew racing boats) distracted me. And if I stop concentrating I start windmilling. Happens every darn time. So although I had a respectable swim, I was disappointed in how I handled the mental part. But live and learn, right?

Has definitely interested me more in ows. Any longer distance races (besides the Suck) that you would recommend?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm new here but will join in. I'm doing some workouts to improve my speed and agility for next season. Only time will tell on those.
Haven't been in the pool in a few weeks!! But am getting back into the groove tomorrow. I work weekends, so I'm lucky, I can get in when it's not crowded.
Have gone for a few runs but not really paying attention to miles (maybe 4-5 miles). It's nice to just run.
that's it! I hope next weeks "report" has a little more "sweat" associated with it!!! :)

http://www.myendurancedream.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 15 Edition [robinlynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A blah week for me. I came down with a cold on Thursday, felt even worse on Friday and then used watching 9+ hours of the Kona live stream as my final recovery on Saturday. I also need to get my self up on Wednesday mornings and to the pool. Putting it off to the evenings doesn't make me very happy.

Monday: recovery run/strength
Tuesday: recovery run/bike
Wednesday: swim/run
Thursday: rest
Friday: sick
Saturday: Easy bike as I coached a run workout and then I watched people swim/bike/run for 9+hours, that counts as something right?
Sunday: swim

This week looks just about the same except I won't be sick (hopefully) and I have a "race" on Saturday. In a percocet induced haze 3-days after surgery, I volunteered to be part of a relay for the Indianapolis Marathon Relay. I am leg 2 which is 7.5 miles. Plan is to run to my exchange zone as a warmup and then "race" the 7.5 miles. It will likely be ugly as I am not tapering at all this week. It should be a fun weekend thought. About 20 folks from my local running club are heading down and we are making a weekend of it.

Hope everyone has good week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks so much! you know it's funny - the only time i ever think about having a smoke anymore is right after a race. oh, and a couple of hours after i broke my wrist, too ;)

way to go Tri3 and determination!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
There's a few that are on my bucket list...a 12mi around Key West, BonAire EcoSwim, Round the Sound in Bermuda, actually getting in the water to do an Alcatraz swim (I've been on the boat, but we weren't allowed to go because of fog.

I'm definitely open up to suggestions though. If you find any cool ones, you let me know!!! There's also a cool-looking one in NY or VT (same lake) that I was thinking about. I totally want another one to go after though!!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that the Kingdom Swim(s)? Another one I've had my eye on is the "Slam the Dam" series in Las Vegas. I like the logo. ;-) I'm putting in for the Ches Bay 4.4 lottery for 2013. I'm already lined up for a fall IM, so that will be my A race for next year. I'm thinking about making 2014 the year of swimming, to include Swim the Suck. Have to see how next year goes.

So many sports, so many races....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hi everyone. You all continue to inspire me. Especially you swimmers! Well done!.
And a warm welcome to all the women who are joining us. It's so great to have such a wonderful, supportive and inspiring (have I used that word already) group.

Goals for last week.
bike 2-3 - Lose, only biked once and only for 40 min
run 5 x w/ a 20 miler. Lose - ran only 4 times, but one was a good 12 mile tempo and another was 24 miler. So not horrible
core 2-3 - lose did a donut hole on that one.

My excuse is that it was my 15 yo son's birthday and that took an entire day of training away. But we played paint ball which was a blast, but I don't think it was aerobic enough to be called cross training. And my two daughters came down from Dallas for the weekend for his birthday, so there was another chunk of time.

Goals for this week
Run 5 x w a tempo run, and at least a 17 miler.
Bike 3 x
Core 2 x

Good luck and good training everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh finally found some time to post.

Last week's goals:
This week: Keep good in the diet it's helping!!!
M: off (post big run & drive home) ->DONE ;-)
T: 5mi (am); 5mi (lunch) -> AM only small "f" fail :-(
W: 10mi (am) -> DONE
R: 5mi (am) -> DONE
F: 5mi (lunch) -> FAIL
St or Sun: 16mi. -> DONE (actually just shy of 17mi) but didn't feel great.
Other day: 5mi -> FAIL but that's OK, I needed the time with the kidlet.

This week: Not very much at all I'm afraid - I am being audited M thru R so very little free time in those days. However I do have Fri booked off ... ;-)
M: 3mi -> DONE
T: OFF -> DONE ;-)
W: 3mi -> DONE
R: OFF -> DONE ;-)
F: 10mi
St: 5mi
Sn: 18mi.
Diet: This will be a tough one, when busy like this, with food being brought in to work, I'll eat whatever comes my way.

My last long run (17mi above) I tried to work on even pacing. My biggest problem in marathons is that I go out too fast in the first half and suffer the second half. So I deliberately broke the run into 20min segments. Every 20min, I walked 30"-60" and drank some water (small sip really); every 2nd pause I took in a gel. 80min out, 82min back. It felt OK, but not great. I don't really know what I was expecting it to feel like, but now I'm doubting my decision to do the full and am contemplating switching to the half. But I have set a deadline for that decision - that is, I won't decide until I get in at least a few more long runs. I even pulled my copy of the Lore of Running out to try and get some mental motivation going. Seems to be a recurring theme this year - when I'm motivated to train, I do so like crazy, then I flip to not caring a whit and having no desire to train. I *think* my low(er) iron, work stress, and lack of variety in my training is causing this. In fact, I might even go for a SWIM tomorrow just to change it up. I dunno. Maybe I need a break. But then, I worry about getting fat again. Sigh.

OK off to do something to distract myself ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 15 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat...trying to decide if I want to take on another IM or try to find a couple new swims. Still trying to decide if I want to do the Suck again & push hard to see what happens. (I'm not publicizing this yet, so pretend that's not REALLY in ink, on the internet, where anyone can read it and hold me to it.)

Not sure the name of the Key West one, but I'm now intrigued enough to check out Vegas.

There's one in Muscle Shoals, Alabama called "That Dam Swim" that is either 10k or 10mi or somewhere around that. I'm seriously considering that too (but again, not out loud).....

who knows. It's early. If I hadn't gotten my tail handed to me this morning at practice I would feel a lot more confident about my next swimming adventures.

16x100, intervals ascending by :05 every 2....starting at 1:15. Would've been doable a few weeks ago...but I've eaten, apparently a lot, since then. And we had just finished a somewhat ugly IM set and some weird 50s. It was ugly. I literally saw stars until halfway through the second 1:30 interval.....I was way deep in the pain cave...but I made all of them..or was at least within a second. But it hurt....thank heavens it's Friday.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 weeks until IMWestern Australia (Busso)... feeling fit but still too fat for my tri suit. I'm doing 90% of required workouts (life gets in the way of the other 10%) but yet i can't seem to lay off the poor quality, nutritionally useless but ever so tasty empty-calorie carbs! dammit i have no willpower :( That's pretty much been my week.. back on the bandwagon again next week... let's see how long that lasts!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 15 Edition [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did that race in 2005. Fantastic venue. Good luck!

On the carbs thing, get some more protein and yes even fats in your diet - it will help with the cravings. Lay off the sugar as much as possible.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWARE, that set belongs in the October swim boast/post thread on the main forum!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried that set this morning - started with a 1:15 interval, missed it on the second one, and started over on 1:20. Good fun. I am going to keep at it until I can start from a 1:15.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's quite miserable, yes?
I know it's meant to be a hellacious reach for the first 4...basically no rest at all & blowing up. I've been told we should expect to revisit it in a month or so. Entertaining during the off season to see which way the intervals go. I expect if I get too close on the 1:15 she'll next drop me to a 1:12 or 1:13. I don't want to imagine the pain of counting that.

She quite taken now with pushing me into stroke work hell. Luckily my intervals are fairly easy, but god I wish I could just banish breaststroke & butterfly from existence.

Good job. Keep us up on the progress!!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Miserable in the "things I love to hate" way.
HalfSpeed suggested this:

In Reply To:
I did 100s like this once:
n x [1@1:30,1@1:25,1@1:20,1@1:15]

I have a love affair with sets of 100s.

Quote Reply