Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brim Brothers pedal based power meter update
Quote | Reply
Got this today (note, preorder consisted of signing up for email updates):

As one of the many people who pre-ordered a Zone power meter we want to bring you up to date on our progress towards delivering it to you.

We are working hard testing and refining the Zone, and on our current schedule it will be launched in mid 2013. We hope that you will not be too disappointed that launch has been put back by a few months, and that you will understand that the later date is to ensure that the Zone will be everything you (and we) expect it to be.

We have developed some very exciting new sensor technology for the Zone, and we need to make certain that it will behave reliably and accurately under all conditions. That requires a lot of careful testing and tweaking, and there are no short cuts. We are still focused on the Zone and still progressing steadily towards launch. It's what we do all our waking hours, and it's even what we dream of when we sleep (true!).

Since we started development of the Zone we have had a policy of open discussion about our intentions, because we wanted to share the excitement of what we were doing. One of the side effects of this is that the length of time that it takes to develop an innovative technical product becomes visible, and it may seem to you that progress is not fast enough. All advanced products take a while to develop - but the traditional approach is to do it behind closed doors so that changes in schedule or direction are never public. Our open door policy makes the time and effort visible. We took a risk in opening that door early in the project, but we are glad we did. We want to assure you that the Zone is coming, we will deliver, and it will be as revolutionary as promised.

If you were hoping to have your Zone to use during training before the 2013 racing season then our revised schedule obviously means that unfortunately that will not be possible. If you decide not to wait for the Zone then we strongly recommend that you make sure any device you purchase is ANT+ compatible. By using ANT+ you will be able to easily try out a Zone when it becomes available and your investment in interoperable sensors and displays will be protected.

And before you ask - no, sorry, we're not announcing a price yet. We will do that when we are much closer to launch date.

Lastly, we want to thank you for your pre-order and we want to assure you that we are working flat out to meet your expectations. We are working at the leading edge of sensor technology to produce an innovative and unique power meter that will help you improve your performance.

Thanks for your patience and support,
Brim Brothers
brimbrothers.com
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers pedal based power meter update [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's like deja vu on infinite loop.
I'm not sure which will last longer, the wait for the latest Guns'n'Roses album, Hank Moody's next novel, or the Brim PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've followed this project for what seems like years, and unfortunately I have huge doubts it will even be a reliable mass produced product in 2013, with all the problems a huge company like Garmin are having with a product very similar in nature I'm not sure the idea is viable at this point in time. Additionally I think both kind of missed the boat for pricing, as now we are seeing numerous power meters well under the 1000 dollar mark, 1500 for the vector may not cut it anymore, and they better be good with the price on this when it is finally out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also on the ore order for the Brim Brothers power meter. I'm extremely disappointed that they are delaying the release until mid next year. I shouldn't be surprised though. I currently have a Powertap but was liking this solution for its ease of use. The new Stage power meter is now a possibility I think. Only problem is that I have 155mm crank arms on my tt bike and 172.5 on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the cardinal rules of product development - at some point, PUT THE MOUSE DOWN!!

They say they have developed new technology, but need to get it worked out. You will ALWAYs develop new technology. At one point, they felt confident enough in the "old" technology to ask for per-orders (did this include cash,mouth of curiosity?)

Somewhere, sometime you go with what you got and get to market and you save the new technology for version 2.0.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply