Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin bike datafields during race.. what do you put?
Quote | Reply
I might have too much data in my garmin 500.. I current do 6 fields:

-------------------------------
Power 30s, PowerAvg
Heart Rate, Cadence
Distance, SpeedAvg

Whats everyone doing for their races? Also, my training and race datafields are different.. this is for racing ! What is a useful power data to see while you race?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin bike datafields during race.. what do you put? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
power 3s avg; power avg; lap time; speed

On a flat course, I would ditch speed, but on hilly courses I like to have it to remind me when to sit up and when to get back down while climbing hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin bike datafields during race.. what do you put? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do three fields: Heart rate, RPMs, and total distance. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin bike datafields during race.. what do you put? [phil combs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phil combs wrote:
power 3s avg; power avg; lap time; speed

On a flat course, I would ditch speed, but on hilly courses I like to have it to remind me when to sit up and when to get back down while climbing hills.

Why do you care about lap time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8 - why not?

Time - Distance
Power 3s Avg - Avg Power
Speed - Avg Speed
Cadence - HR

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
black electric tape ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Current Speed, Time, Distance, Average Speed, no power meter :(

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need bifocals to see anything smaller than 2 fields on my 500.
so- on the 1st screen it's

Power 3s,
Speed

but then I have two more pages of 8 fields per page to check everything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my 910 i put 30s power, lap power, lap time, cadence ( i race on flat terrain, and like taking splits every 20-30mins)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Five for my last race

Power 30's
Lap power Speed
Time Distance

Lap Power because I have the auto lap set to 5k - I find it easier to break the ride into smaller chunks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on my 500:

"instant" screen:
3s power
speed, HR
temperature, grade

"cumulative" screen:
average power
avg speed, avg HR
time, distance

"lap" screen (10mi laps = alert for nutrition)
3s power
lap power
lap speed, lap HR
lap time, lap distance

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin bike datafields during race.. what do you put? [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3s power
cadence
HR, temp
total time, ave power
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SPEED
----------
pwr | dst
time | hr

sometimes I switch out distance for avg. speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

3s power
-----------------------------
30 s power
-----------------------------
Distance, Avg Power

Some other pages with way too much other info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 3 screens X 8 pieces of data, and just put it on medium scroll mode. Why not...

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cadence (only because i'm slightly obsessed with number, more so than my Power - don't ask)
Power 30s
Average Speed
Heart Rate
Elapsed Time

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training i have 4: overall time, speed, hr, cadence
racing i have : time speed cadence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Power 3s, Speed, HR, Distance and Time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Why do you care about lap time?"

I like to have time on the display to remind me when to drink (every 10 minutes, for me). Lap time is better than overall time for me because: (1) if it's a multi-loop course, I hit lap at start of each loop both to try to evenly pace the race and to analyze the data post-race; (2) if it is not a multi-loop course and the bike is >1hour, I am going to hit the lap counter every half hour to make sure that I am not drifting up or down but rather, am staying on target; (3) no reason to keep overall time, I'm going as fast as I can given the power I can hold. That's my n-1.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin bike datafields during race.. what do you put? [phil combs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I like the idea of using lap time for nutrition (drinking, eating). I never hear my Time Alert if I have it turned on, and often find I neglect fluid intake -- I end up drinking too much at once. I usually have auto lap on at some interval, granted for racing it doesn't make a lot of specific sense (auto laps aren't sync'd with loops or hilly segments etc...), so I would have to turn that off.

My fields...

30s Power
Lap Power
Cadence, Normalized Power
Speed, HR

I keep thinking about dropping Speed for a distance or time metric just because it distracts me from my pacing goals (power numbers).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my 310:

current speed | HR
Cadence | Distance

the above screen alternates with:

current speed | HR
Cadence | Elapsed time

I also have it set to autolap every mile, so every mile I basically get an update of my average speed over that mile. This is much more useful on a flat course than on a hilly course. This past weekend I did a race with ~1200ft of climbing over 30 mi, and my mile splits were all over the place (2:00 to 3:00), whereas on a flat course I usually only have to do the mental math for splits between 2:15 and 2:30. I used to think less in terms of time/mi and more in terms of mph, but I've realized that when someone gives me the gap info on any guys up the road it's easier to figure out how many sec/mi faster I have to be than them and work backwards from that.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only have 4 fields on my 910xt but I set it up as follows with scrolling on slow...

Distance - HR
NP - Power 10s Avg
-------------------
Time - Cadence
SpeedAvg - Power 10s Avg

I repeat the power 10s avg as I always want to see that.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply