Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just got new 2012 quarq for specialized
Quote | Reply
Okay im excited now.. Did a quick 15 mile ride to test it out.. I also just ordered those two books that everyone keeps recommending..

While I wait for the books, please confirm with me if my interpretation of the basic theory with powermeters is correct:

1.) Do a 20 min all out test and find your FTP
2.) Train based on % of the FTP, depending on what you're trying to do
3.) Race based on your FTP so you don't burn out but also so you reach your max potential during a race.. obviously you could exceed your max!

Any thing else?
Quote Reply
Re: Just got new 2012 quarq for specialized [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, you dont find your ftp with a 20min all out test, you may find a way to esitimate it from that, but you wont "find it" :)

The quarq may take a bit of time to settle in, ie a week or so. until it does, you may get some wonky numbers
Quote Reply
Re: Just got new 2012 quarq for specialized [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
yeah, you dont find your ftp with a 20min all out test, you may find a way to estimate it from that, but you wont "find it" :)

The quarq may take a bit of time to settle in, ie a week or so. until it does, you may get some wonky numbers

Sweet! I got the book and did my first power profile test.. I came in at :

5s: 10.15W/kg
60s: 7.02 W/kg
5min: 4.06 W/kg
FT: 3.5 W/kg

I've only been cycling for about 12 months now so not sure if these numbers are okay for that length.. but my profile is weird.. its like a ^ but probably because I havent ever trained my 5s and 60s sprints?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
jeffp wrote:
yeah, you dont find your ftp with a 20min all out test, you may find a way to estimate it from that, but you wont "find it" :)

Sweet! I got the book and did my first power profile test.. I came in at :

5s: 10.15W/kg
60s: 7.02 W/kg
5min: 4.06 W/kg
FT: 3.5 W/kg

I've only been cycling for about 12 months now so not sure if these numbers are okay for that length.. but my profile is weird.. its like a ^ but probably because I havent ever trained my 5s and 60s sprints?

Might want to read the book again.. FTP is roughly 95% of your 20minute power test. Or it could be 97% if you are more slow twitch or closer to 93% if you are more fast twitch. That there still can be some anaerobic component to that test has always been the biggest beef with it. It is a good starting point, but if you unable to complete the 20 minute intervals at or near your estimated FTP then you have estimated to high.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Just got new 2012 quarq for specialized [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well ya that is just my first FTP guess which I took it at 95% of 20 min test. I understand that's an estimate. Man to go a full 60 min test would be painful!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mind sharing where you purchased your Quarq? I am seriously considering it but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
Well ya that is just my first FTP guess which I took it at 95% of 20 min test. I understand that's an estimate. Man to go a full 60 min test would be painful!!

there are other test that don't have you going all out for an hour to find your FTP. Just an FYI, mine isn't even really close to 95% of what an all out 20' test is for me. People aren't all the same. Some are better at different efforts and intervals than others. It's best to get a good power profile of different tests.

I live my life one triathlon at a time, Nothing else matters.....
Follow me on twitter @BMeulen403
Quote Reply
Re: Just got new 2012 quarq for specialized [flanker769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flanker769 wrote:
Mind sharing where you purchased your Quarq? I am seriously considering it but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Just went t my local shop which has an account with Quarq. You can also purchase it from them directly. Mine was the new specialized model made by quarq to go on the swork cranks. I had it on order since July and finally got it cause it was so heavily backordeded.

Love the power balance feature which tells you how much power you're cranking through from the left and right... although I dont have any real practicle applications for it yet lol.
Quote Reply