Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Sept. 24 Edition
Quote | Reply
AP, how was Leadman?
AWARE, how was your birthday?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 24 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week: swim 3x (1 done), run 5x (1 done), check out some of the local cycling.
Swam twice, ran 7x, checked out the local cycling. Also, 7/7 on eating :D

M - 6.5 mi run + 4000 yd swim
T - 5 mi run + 18 mi bike
W - 9 mi run
T - 6.5 mi run + 10 mi bike + 50 min stairstepper/elliptical combo
F - 9 mi run + 1800 yd swim
S - 8 mi run + 15 mi bike
S - 5.5 mi run + 8.4 mi hike

I was so sore this morning from hiking! Totals 5800 yds swum; 43 mi bike; 50 mi run; 3 hours of "other"

Goals this week: 3 swims (1 threshold + 1 vo2 max), run most days (one speed), ride 2x, shoulder/hip exercises twice. And continue to do a good job with food.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest swim week yet--31k yards, including a 6 mile ows. Looking forward to a cut back week this week, with only 4 swims scheduled for the week, and some ows racing this weekend.

AP, we're all waiting to hear on Leadman!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have some catching up to do!

goals from 2 weeks ago:
- swim x 4: WIN
- bike x 3: FAIL with 2, but one was only 5mins
- run x 4: WIN with 5
- core/strength x 4: WIN

so i was going to volunteer at that olympic on the 16th...and then i was feeling a lot better, managed to track down a sleeveless wetsuit for cheap, tried riding my tri bike, and ended up racing it anyway. was about 11mins slower than the same course last year, but had my best oly swim split ever! suffered a bit on the bike (i'd only done 1 easy 30min spin on the trainer in the 3 weeks before the race), felt worse running off the bike than i think i ever had before and had the worst transition times ever, but it was a hoot and i'm glad i did it!

last week's goals:
- run x 5: WIN, including an 11km trail run at 2,650ft higher above sea level than i'm used to (ouch)
- swim x 1: WIN, at the cool pool in radium hot springs!

we were out west visiting tanker's parents in calgary, AB, their trailer in radium hot springs, BC and his sister, her husband and our niece & nephew in cochrane, AB. left monday, got home saturday night - ran almost every day, so i'm pleased.

this week's goals:
- run x 5
- bike x 3
- swim x 3
- core/strength x 4

i signed tanker and i up for a 50km mountain bike race on sep 30th just 3 days before i broke my wrist. will have to see if i'm capable of riding it..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Post race week
M-off
Tues- 20 min cardio elliptical, 30 min yoga...then drove to Fresno to help take care of my nephew who was sick and couldn't go to day care he's almost 11 months old.
Weds- Walk around the block w/ my nephew in stroller
Thurs-longer walk w/nephew
Fri- Bike 5 miles, drove home from Fresno.
Sat- Hill training practice, 2 loops +1hill repeat on bike, 1 hill repeat + one long loop walking.
Sun-off, starting to get sick, think I caught what nephew had.

This weeks goals-
get over whatever I have
swim 1-2 times
bike 1 time
run/walk 4 times

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leadman was hard but fantastic too. I managed 2nd in my AG and 21st F-OA. I'm less stoked about the 2nd as the AGs were pretty slim on the womens side BUT am pretty damn happy about 21st OA - it doesn't sound (read) like much but man there were some seriously fast chicks here.

Swim was short, but felt great considering how little swim training I actually did this year. They said the water temp was 62, then they said 58 at the briefing, but it didn't feel that cold actually. Managed a 41min swim, not bad, lack of training considered. Heated change tents were nice. It was cold out, so knee warmers, arm warmers, 2nd full zip jersey, full gloves, wool socks and toe covers. While my T1 time looks long (6min), I was faster than most (there were a lot of struggling with full compression socks, full bra changes - not fun when wet).

Bike was good but challenging. If I did this event again, I'd skip the deep dish wheels (I ran the Reynolds 66s) and go with my small Campy wheels instead. Hell a road bike with shorty clip-ons would have been better for me. The thermal currents up the valley as we descended Mt. Bachelor were very hard to ride through - I was being pushed all over the place and at 40+mph that's no fun. I'm a pretty aggressive decender but not this time - sitting up, on the brakes the whole time. Sucked. Amazing scenery, and a very challenging bike course. I'd also change my gearing to have at least 1 more granny gear i.e.: a 25 on the back. I ran a 54-42 w/11-23. That was tough gearing. I should have put the 12-25 on at least, but completely forgot. My menopause brain fog getting the better of me I'm afraid. I could have even swapped the 42 for a 39. I am so spaced out about stuff like this these days. I need a checklist for everything! Overall I felt pretty good on the ride, except I always had a nagging side stitch, high up, and it was hard to take full deep breaths. Elevation perhaps? I don't know... Rolled into smoky town with a 4:09 ride. I should have been ~30min faster, I blame my gearing choice and my wheel choice (EDIT: I blame my overall lack of training. Sheesh, I can't believe I tried to blame my equipment!)

The run is essentially 5mi up and 5mi down, but by the time I got back to town, the smoke from the forest fire at Sisters was pretty bad. I basically couldn't run up any hills, I just couldn't breathe, couldn't get enough air, and I'd feel a bit nauseous as well. So I resigned myself to a slow 2hr walk-every-hill-and-run-the-rest strategy. Well, the first 5mi took 1h05, the second took 40min. I actually passed quite a few people out there on the run, even on the first 5mi segment! and on that back half I picked up the pace and ran with a couple young guys. I felt quite good for the last 5mi, and burned it back in, I really really wanted to beat 7hrs. My 1/2IM PR is 5:59, I'm not fast, and I knew that this was going to be at least 30min to 1hr slower than a 1/2 time. So I was pretty damn happy with my 6:46 and my placing.

Crossed the line, got a sweaty hug from P (who earned 4th in his AG!), got a beer from Deschutes, watched mdraeger finish (you go girl!), watched Rappstar finish 1st, chatted with him briefly ("So AndyPants *is* real!" was pretty much the convo). Showered, hot tub, beer, sausages, bed. :-) The next morning, made the athlete's (disappointing) breakfast, finally met Fleck & his speedy wife face-to-face (after all these years), picked up my hardware. 8hr drive home to lots of laundry and a dog who missed us very much.

I took today off work just to rest & relax & hang with the dog, and also to clear my brain, put the race to rest mentally. Tomorrow I need to be able to turn my focus to the Seattle Marathon in 9 weeks. And also to let tri go off to some other space for a while. ... I don't know if I have another long course race in me. Heck I don't even know if I have a sprint in me. But conveniently, I don't have to think about ANY of that until next spring. Amen and hallelujah.

This week: some easy running with a 10mi on the weekend. Then it ramps up. Also: going to cut the gluten out for a 2 week (maybe 3 week) experiment. Yes that means beer too. Been struggling with a lot of bloating lately, and I know it's not dairy (did the dairy exclusion experiment about 9mo ago). So I'll try this. Can't hurt.

Will post pics if I can find them.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Sep 24, 12 11:19
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 24 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the 2nd AG and 21 OV :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go AP. Congrats!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 24 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Radium is awesome. Haven't been there in a long time, but fantastic place to visit... :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm just so impressed with everyone!!! AP - way to go!.

My goal is Dallas Marathon (12/9), 11 weeks and coming up fast. So I'm all about running right now.

Last week
m- 4.1
tu - 7.1 in a.m., 6.8 in p.m.
w - 5.1 in a.m., 11.5 in p.m.
th - 5.1
f - 8.6
sat - 3.1
Sun - 16.
Total running miles for the week was 67.3

This week I'd like another mid 60 week. I'm old, so starting to feel some trouble areas. Went for massage yesterday, I wish I could get one daily, I just need to win the lottery :)

Happy training everyone. You inspire me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helluva race, lady! Impressive even with your darned equipment issues! ha!

I had another fairly large week - althought a bit shorter than the last. I'll be honest I don't really have the totals. I hit four practices (usually around 3500yds), extended two of them, swam twice on my own (usually around 4k), raced a 5k this weekend and took an entire blasted day off on Sunday (BIRTHDAY!!!). So I'd say it was around a 30k week.

The 5k race, Eric Shanteau's Swim for Your Life (www.shanteauopenwater.com) in Lake Lanier on Saturday, was amazing. Had about 8 or so current & past Olympians there as well. They also have a 1k & the entire event raises money for Livestrong as Shanteau is also a cancer survivor. He's got a great story if anyone hasn't read it. The plan (in my coach's mind, anyway) was to swim the 5k then stay out & swim the 1k course to tack on some extra. MY plan was to swim the 5k hard, throw down a decent time and actually race it. (The course was fairly well monitored and there were different caps for the 1k & 5k, I would've gotten questioned & turned around anyway..so it turned out to be a good plan.) I think the course was maybe only a wee bit short, it felt fairly accurate, which is always a challenge with swimming. I think ALL of Swim Atlanta and half of Dynamo was there - tons of young swimmers for an OWS. It was a 3-loop course for the 5k and a time trial start! They started the 18&U first & then the "masters". I started about 2/3 back in the 5k people (mostly because I wasn't paying attention) and had plenty to keep me busy. The lake was about 72*, perfect. The water looked smooth, there wasn't much breeze. Both of those kind of changed right after I started. The end of the course turned into a bit of a washing machine, but it was still a good swim. Had plenty of entertainment with the kids all swimming in clumps, so I spent a lot of time swimming to/through small packs & moving up to the next one. Pushed the first and third laps hard, maintained a nice stroke rhythym through the middle and just kept plowing. Spent the entire last 1/2mi actually racing another chick - side by side, swimming hard. What a great time! Had to go around her at one point as I got pushed into the shallow as we went wide (shorter path) down the "backstretch". Was a great push and a great effort by both of us - having swum more 5ks I was better prepared for the lack of legs when I stood up to make the final steps for the finish line (chip timing). She had an inside line & would've had me by a step but went *splat* when feet hit sand and knees went wobbly. It was all in good fun, we laughed for about an hour after it. Turned out we're in the same age group, so I snagged second (my coach being the one taking first) by a splat. Huge pr by about 11:00 from another 5k earlier this year on a very accurate course. (Overall PR was probably 8-10min)

Birthday involved drinking a few beers, watching some football, shooting pool & just hanging out with friends after an AMAZING dinner in ATL. I'll definitely take it.

This week: if I make it through Wednesday I get to "taper." Becuase I don't need the intensity that would typically come with a shorter effort (& a taper), I just get to back down the yardage and swim once a day! Doubles yesterday, today & Wednesday, Thursday is a long, easy swim, Friday morning practice, Saturday is another long, easy one, Sunday is OW at the lake. Next week will be much the same, single practices until Thursday & Friday - which will be VERY easy days.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 24 Edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, are you doing the race down in Chattanooga? One of my San Francisco gals is flying out to do it.

My week? Sick x 14 days with some bacterial infection and coughing a lot. Tried to ride the bike on the trainer for 30 minutes and felt OK but started coughing once I stopped.

Now in CALIFORNIA for nearly 2 weeks for work and to see Katy and watch Snackie race this coming Sunday.

BTW...Happy birthday AWARE!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my in-laws have a trailer at canyon rv park and we spent a night out there at the beginning of the week - ran, hiked, swam and golfed before heading back to cowtown. beautiful, but holy crap it gets cold when the trailer is only 8' away from sinclair creek!

sinclair falls sure is pretty, though..

a very happy birthday to AWARE, too! :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Sep 25, 12 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 24 Edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good race report; nice job!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 24 Edition [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feel better soon.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 24 Edition [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am indeed. Swim the Suck. Eek!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AP - Congrats on leadman! The race sounds epic! What exactly are the distances? It sounds slightly longer than a HI. I may have to put this one on my bucket list. I love oregon and am so jealous that Tigerchik now calls my favorite state home.

AWARE - belated happy bday and good luck with your swim! You fishies impress me!

Am busy focusing on the run for Army 10 miler in three weeks (yikes). I only started running a little over a year ago and the run needs work! Goal pace is 9:30min/mi

Training last week went well
Run 5x - yes with long run of 7
Swim 3x - only managed 2
Bike 1x - I petted my bike and told her I still love her!

Volunteered at Hightstown tri on Sunday, got a sharpie and had fun body marking in the dark before sunrise. Then drooled over bike bling while manning transition. Was in charge of bike course for kids tri in the afternoon. We had over 150 kids under 14!!!! Some on tricked out tri bikes!! Heart was in my throat until all came back safe and they did! Kids had a great time and I hope some of them have now found a life sport,

This week:
Run 5x
Swim 3x
Pet my bike again and promise her that she will get lots of attention after this running race!

Happy training all!
Quote Reply