Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leadman Bend Update
Quote | Reply
LeadmanTri Bend will be unlike anything that you have competed in. The amount of support from the Bend community has been quite overwhelming. I am truly proud to be your Race Director. With every new event, there are new challenges and we have met each one with enthusiasm and the athlete and their safety in mind.

In order to end any confusion or rumours.......Yes there is a slight change in the Epic 125/250 Bike course. The change occurs after the right turn on 46 (Cascade Lake Hwy) coming out of Cultus Lake. Instead of a VERY lengthy out and back on 46, we have shortened each (125/250) out and back and when coming back from the turnaround, ALL bikes will turn right on 42 and then left on FS4270 (toward Crane Prairie Resort), then left on 40 and right back onto 46 (Cascade Lakes Highway). The Epic 250 turnaround is 9.5 miles past where 42 intersects 46 and the Epic 125 Turnaround is 1.5 miles past 42. I assure you that this change is more scenic, safer and does not change the elevation profile. I apologize for any confusion but the change was needed and recently confirmed.

Also, I have seen the talk about clothing and the morning temps and I hope this helps....The Special Needs bag station will be located at the aid station for Mile 40/70. This is the same aid station. It is located at the intersection of FS 40 and FS 4270. You will pass it twice. We will allow you to stop, dismount and put clothing in your bag if needed. Your bag will be brought to the Finish for you to claim with your T1 and post race gear bag. The special needs bags are for the Epic 250 only.

Be sure to review the rules in the Athlete Guide. They differ from past Leadman events.

Thanks for your patience! See you on Race Day!!
Quote Reply
Re: Leadman Bend Update [rdinlv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We get the rollers. Fun course, looking forward to it.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rdinlv wrote:
LeadmanTri Bend will be unlike anything that you have competed in. The amount of support from the Bend community has been quite overwhelming. I am truly proud to be your Race Director. With every new event, there are new challenges and we have met each one with enthusiasm and the athlete and their safety in mind.

In order to end any confusion or rumours.......Yes there is a slight change in the Epic 125/250 Bike course. The change occurs after the right turn on 46 (Cascade Lake Hwy) coming out of Cultus Lake. Instead of a VERY lengthy out and back on 46, we have shortened each (125/250) out and back and when coming back from the turnaround, ALL bikes will turn right on 42 and then left on FS4270 (toward Crane Prairie Resort), then left on 40 and right back onto 46 (Cascade Lakes Highway). The Epic 250 turnaround is 9.5 miles past where 42 intersects 46 and the Epic 125 Turnaround is 1.5 miles past 42. I assure you that this change is more scenic, safer and does not change the elevation profile. I apologize for any confusion but the change was needed and recently confirmed.

Also, I have seen the talk about clothing and the morning temps and I hope this helps....The Special Needs bag station will be located at the aid station for Mile 40/70. This is the same aid station. It is located at the intersection of FS 40 and FS 4270. You will pass it twice. We will allow you to stop, dismount and put clothing in your bag if needed. Your bag will be brought to the Finish for you to claim with your T1 and post race gear bag. The special needs bags are for the Epic 250 only.

Be sure to review the rules in the Athlete Guide. They differ from past Leadman events.

Thanks for your patience! See you on Race Day!!

----

Good job Leadman for thinking about the athletes.This one thing may save someones day.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that it's going well. I'm sitting this one out, but will be very curious to read race reports about the water temperature and its effect on people. Hopefully, I will hear from the older crowd and not just the studly 20-somethings ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's the smoke from the Pole Cr fire? Not entered, just curious. It's enough we got a sniff over on the other side of the mts, but I know that's totally dependent on wind direction. The year I did IMC there was a big fire a valley or two over and it smelled a bit like a campfire in Penticton, but actually I thought the smogscreen helped filter the sun a bit and knocked it down a couple degrees from the original forecast.
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Sep 14, 12 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Leadman Bend Update [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P.S. - The talk of morning temps reminded me of the old Cascade Lakes Tri about a decade ago... camped out in the back of my truck near Elk lake and woke to frozen droplets covering my sleeping bag from the condensation and a light dusting of the season's first snow on the ground. Overheard one of the FS rangers marshalling the starting area saying the outside thermometer read 28* when he left his cabin. For once it acutally felt good to get in the water even though it was probably only mid/low-60s, if that. Weather had been in the mid-90's just that Fri when I left for Bend so I hadn't brought anything extra to wear for the cold beyond an inner coating of HTFU. Did a mini-bonk towards the end of the bike and start of the run after fumbling away my gels during the bike trying to open them because my claw-like hands were too frozen to work; actually finished the run stronger than I started for a change after fueling up on the aid stations heading out to the turnaround. Ah, good times.

Beautiful, beautiful bike course for any of you visiting the area for the first time; I'm jealous of that at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update, really looking forward to this race!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's all hope that a) the Pole fire is contained by next weekend or b) the winds are blowing west. Glad to see the temps rise here today, bodes better for the first hours of the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 The talk of morning temps reminded me of the old Cascade Lakes Tri about a decade ago..]]

I remember that race 25+ years ago. There were no triathlon wetsuits yet, but promotion surf suits were out there with a truckload of suits. I remember buying this 3-2-1 Blaster that was pink and blue. And it was a full on surf suit, with rough rubber and overlocked stitched. But it did keep the cold out, and i made my money back plus some, so it was all good. I sure wish there were more races like that one on the pro circuit back in the day, cold has always been my friend.
Last edited by: monty: Sep 14, 12 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick hijack - was that the one that bobo put on in 2002?

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The run course looks a little short in the map too. Is it going to be the full 22k?

So intensely looking forward to next weekend. It's going to be an epic, epic time!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Leadman Bend Update [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, monty is talking about the real original CLT. Bobo tried to bring it back in 2002 and it lasted all of one year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have avoided the Mt. Bachelor road this summer because of the paving...until yesterday. I rode from Bend to the top of Bachelor, down the other side to Sparks, and back. Wow! The road is freshly paved from Bachelor to Bend. Prior to this summer, it was a road with tons of cracks and potholes. Not anymore! Buttery smooth, fresh pavement. This will make for a a really fast, fun, smooth descent into town! It's so fresh they haven't even painted the lines yet!

Also, it was over 80 degrees with very little wind. The Pole Creek fire wasn't an issue yesterday, but today some smoke is hanging in Bend and it looks smoggy.

Welcome to Bend, everyone! You're going to love it here!

Quote | Reply
Punisher007 wrote:
I have avoided the Mt. Bachelor road this summer because of the paving...until yesterday. I rode from Bend to the top of Bachelor, down the other side to Sparks, and back. Wow! The road is freshly paved from Bachelor to Bend. Prior to this summer, it was a road with tons of cracks and potholes. Not anymore! Buttery smooth, fresh pavement. This will make for a a really fast, fun, smooth descent into town! It's so fresh they haven't even painted the lines yet!

Also, it was over 80 degrees with very little wind. The Pole Creek fire wasn't an issue yesterday, but today some smoke is hanging in Bend and it looks smoggy.

Welcome to Bend, everyone! You're going to love it here!

Great to hear road conditions. What about road quality on other parts of the course? Where's the worst stretch? How long is it?
Do you know about the conditions of the loop section?
Quote Reply
Re: Leadman Bend Update [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please review the map in the Athlete guide. It is 22k. The map in the athlete guide includes the out and back inside tetherow. See you on Race Day..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet. Would hate to be cheated out of even an inch...haha

Looking forward to an epic weekend!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You had me at "• Free Beer at Finish from Deschutes Brewery" (cries a little)

See you on the weekend!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Leadman Bend Update [yotoma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The worst stretch is from sunriver cutoff back over to cascade lks hwy. It is just really inconsistent old chip seal. Then the stretch from that right turn, psst elk lk and up to mt. B is all chip seal put down in the lastbtwo years so it is at least a consistent surface. Sunriver cutoff and the descent backninto bend are brand new pavement...smooth as a baby's butt!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first post in this thread does seem to add the missing miles on the bike course that I pointed out to the Leadman tri folks on 9/13. I use the word "seem" as I still have to use "best guesses" to create a map at http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1726882 . Instead of burying this correcting info on a triathlon forum it should be trumpeted on the Leadman 250 website with correct maps, even if it's a link to an outside service. The Leadman 250 people seem to be forgetting the importance of serving their customers by having accurate and useful information on the website but have succumbed to the common problem these days that web "eye-candy" trumps usefulness. Having been a site webmaster, a race director and 30 year participant in triathlon fun I know this is easily doable. I hope this apparent succumbing to form over substance does not extend to race day management. One key item is that my now best guesses at the bike course map has the elevation gain at about 7380 ft. At age 61 even that number is significant for my planning of how to possibly complete this course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the wave starts final? Seems like these will be very small waves, and I'm totally bummed you're splitting up the female waves. Are there really enough women to justify two separate waves? It's so much better (for athletes and spectators) when we're all on the same clock, especially when there are time standards associated with receiving a buckle. Any hope in reevaluating this?
Quote Reply
Re: Leadman Bend Update [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
Quick hijack - was that the one that bobo put on in 2002?

Yes indeed, at Elk Lake and finishing in Bend. Monty was referring to the original back in the mid-80s at Cultus Lake, which I think was designated as some sort of nat'l long-course championship which was won by Scott Tinley if I remember right. My dad did it that year, and I seem to recall it was much earlier in the season (June?) so the lake was still much colder and led to a pretty severe DNF/DNS rate and probably contributed to the race's early demise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep - from what I remember, the 2002 race had a late swim start due to the fog on the lake.

Run was three loops from the old industrial district up to Inn at the 7th Mtn and back. Fun times!

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone on this thread have a little space on a floor? Hotel or Bend residents!

thanks,
Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply