Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World
Quote | Reply
Like I've said before: A very touchy, twitchy religion, is Islam:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/...-around-world/56865/

If you can't keep track of all the Muslim protests erupting across the globe, you're not alone. The uproar over a 14-minute anti-Islam YouTube video has sparked furious protests from Somalia to Egypt to Sudan to Tunisia to Libya to Bangladesh to Indonesia to Pakistan. With new reports of protests surfacing every minute, we've compiled the latest reported incidents into this handy interactive Google Map. Click the locations and embedded links for more details about each incident.

For what it's worth, I'm guessing that not a single person participating in these protests had heard of the existence of the supposed video that the media says lies at the heart of this foreign policy kerfuffle until news of its supposed existence was disseminated via social media (and now, the media itself) and that probably 99.9% of the people now "protesting" still haven't seen it since word about it began to spread.
Last edited by: big kahuna: Sep 14, 12 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.independent.co.uk/...ination-8135797.html
Quote:
Senior officials are increasingly convinced, however, that the ferocious nature of the Benghazi attack, in which rocket-propelled grenades were used, indicated it was not the result of spontaneous anger due to the video, called Innocence of Muslims. Patrick Kennedy, Under-Secretary at the State Department, said he was convinced the assault was planned due to its extensive nature and the proliferation of weapons.

It pisses me off every time the media trots out the ignorant blather about the video causing all this. That's just total bull concocted by the spinmeisters in Washington DC and spoon fed to the goobers who suck that crap up.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [Hubblesmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hubblesmith wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/...ination-8135797.html
Quote:
Senior officials are increasingly convinced, however, that the ferocious nature of the Benghazi attack, in which rocket-propelled grenades were used, indicated it was not the result of spontaneous anger due to the video, called Innocence of Muslims. Patrick Kennedy, Under-Secretary at the State Department, said he was convinced the assault was planned due to its extensive nature and the proliferation of weapons.

It pisses me off every time the media trots out the ignorant blather about the video causing all this. That's just total bull concocted by the spinmeisters in Washington DC and spoon fed to the goobers who suck that crap up.

Yeah I hate that too:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...tring=video;#4162514

"To be fair, that "pastor" Terry Jones and his Florida "church" may have started all this up with a YouTube video or two critical of the Prophet Mohammad,..."

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say evacuate the middle east region of all Christians and Jews and then NUKE the entire region and turn it into glass. Everyone is so touchy about the Islam religon, you cannot say ANYTHING AT ALL without fear of being killed. I even refrain from saying what I truly believe about this religion on this forum for fear of REAL retaliation, I may be killed for real.....

We need to do something fast about what's going on and the President needs to do it soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the map. Technology is so cool when it works but unfortunately after the Jihad we will all be without electricity.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
For what it's worth, I'm guessing that not a single person participating in these protests had heard of the existence of the supposed video that the media says lies at the heart of this foreign policy kerfuffle until news of its supposed existence was disseminated via social media (and now, the media itself) and that probably 99.9% of the people now "protesting" still haven't seen it since word about it began to spread.

So, true!!!! How is it that they think Michael Jackson is a new Pop Star and the movie ET is new release over there, yet this B rated movie that a hand full of people here in America has seen, yet is main stream over there. It doesn't make sense. This is media lie of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [trihard4me] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
I say evacuate the middle east region of all Christians and Jews and then NUKE the entire region and turn it into glass. Everyone is so touchy about the Islam religon, you cannot say ANYTHING AT ALL without fear of being killed. I even refrain from saying what I truly believe about this religion on this forum for fear of REAL retaliation, I may be killed for real.....

We need to do something fast about what's going on and the President needs to do it soon.

Just quoting for posterity.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [Hubblesmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>It pisses me off every time the media trots out the ignorant blather about the video causing all this. That's just total bull concocted by the spinmeisters in Washington DC and spoon >fed to the goobers who suck that crap up.

I disagree that it's all some ploy by the "spinmeisters" (whoever they are), but you're absolutely right that it's not about the video at all. Those kids in the pictures don't look like devout Muslims. They're classic ignorant, angry, unemployed youth. NPR had a decent piece on it this morning, basically saying that the participants in the "Arab Spring" had unrealistic expectations - they thought they'd be rich by now. But their lives are basically the same as they've always been. They can no longer really target their own governments, so they're biting on Al Qaeda's (and other extremist) attempts to re-direct that anger back at the U.S. with the laughable topcover of "religious duty."
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My take is that the Benghazi attack was a planned and directed military style operation with specific targets to hit and intelligence to gather. The administration needed to hide that fact, so they spun up the anti-islam video story and dropped it on the front page. Subsequently, we have exactly what you describe. It is the islamic version of Occupy Wall Street protests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> The administration needed to hide that fact, so they spun up the anti-islam video story and dropped it on the front page.

I agree a lot with you except the administration conspiracy. The anti-Islam video became was a story before the attack ever took place, e.g. the consulates themselves were tweeting about it (famously apologetic) before anything turned violent.

I believe, rather, it's Al Qaeda "PsyOps", e.g. part of the planned and directed military operation you're describing. Al Qaeda is battling for the "hearts and minds" of those disaffected youth. This is a recruitment strategy (look how much the U.S. hates you!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The administration needed to hide that fact, so they spun up the anti-islam video story and dropped it on the front page"

Some of you people live in a strange and weird world. It must be very different there.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Granted I probably have that part wrong. In fact, I probably got that spun into my head by the stupid right wing talking heads on the radio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:

I say we evacuate all the religious people on the planet to the middle east and then nuke it. That would solve a lot of the world's problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While serious, I can't help but laugh at some of these demonstrations. Yemen in particular. We've been bombing the FUCK out of Yemen the last few years with drones. Lots of bad guys killed, but I'm sure lots of innocent people as well. But what sets them off is someone telling them a video was critical of Mohommad (I'm sure 99% have never seen it).
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that, coupled with the fact that people in this region literally cannot conceive of a situation wherein a film of this nature is allowed to exist and spread without the approval, if not explicit endorsement, of that nation's government. The conditions they've lived in for generations is a perfect recipe for this kind of thinking and response.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw something on ABC News a couple of nights ago stating that the movie had a pre-release viewing in LA a few months ago. ZERO people showed up and they cancelled the event.

I wish someone would pass that little tid bit along to those in the Middle East. Somehow I think they have this image in their head that we're all excited to see this movie in theaters, when I'm pretty sure it won't even be out on DVD.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [ScottyBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the film going by that name on youtube is the one in question, I'm surprised it made it that far. It's an absolute joke.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hubblesmith wrote:
It is the islamic version of Occupy Wall Street protests.

Interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just looking at pictures of the protests and I have to say the hatred for the US is really difficult to look at. I'm not convinced that going in and exerting control will make this any better. In fact, I think it will make it worse. If they hate a country, why would having that country come in and take over make it any better? Really that is a rhetorical question because I'm not convinced anyone here has the answers despite what we think.

There is so much we don't know. We can't even get remotely accurate counts of how many civilians have been killed by the US in Iraq and Afghanistan. We will never come clean because we prefer people don't know.

As far as the video, it is really only a spark that set off the hatred. It doesn't matter whether people have actually seen the video, all they care about (it seems to me and from what I've heard in coverage) is that once again the US has insulted their beliefs in a very fundamental way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [ScottyBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottyBoy wrote:
I saw something on ABC News a couple of nights ago stating that the movie had a pre-release viewing in LA a few months ago. ZERO people showed up and they cancelled the event.

I wish someone would pass that little tid bit along to those in the Middle East. Somehow I think they have this image in their head that we're all excited to see this movie in theaters, when I'm pretty sure it won't even be out on DVD.

Fuck man, pull your head out. This isn't about the fucking movie.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But. . .but. . .but CNN prefaces EVERY report coming from the middle east as being "in response to a degrading, inflammatory, despicable YouTube video!"

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think they would be protesting so much around the world if the video had been made in a country like Switzerland?

The fact that it was made in the U.S really has no relevance to U.S policy so how much of this is really anti-American feeling being disguised as a show against a film. Also, I wonder how many of the protestors have actually seen the film or are just reacting because everyone else is reacting.
Quote Reply
Re: Google Map of Muslim Protests Around the World [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I was just looking at pictures of the protests and I have to say the hatred for the US is really difficult to look at.

It's scary to think about the amount of collective hatred. They come across as totally brainwashed. You'd think that if given the choice most people would say that what they want most in life is to live happily with their families etc. This group would say they want death to all non-believers and for Islam to rule the world. They seem to live for conflict. I guess given the tough life many of them live helps breed this.

Let them have Africa, shift the entire religion there. Destroy every airfield and port then ban all flights and ships in and out. Then cut off access to the outside world. Let them live their lives the way they want, sort their own shit out and stay the hell out of ours. It seems like they have no intention of ever wanting to be part of a modern, civilised world.

Edit: They probably need an island, but I like my place so Oz is off limits. Give them Antartica so they can chill out.

To another poster, please ensure Indonesia (world's biggest population of followers) is relocated there, as northerly winds could blow nuclear fallout into my vege patch.
Last edited by: mv2005: Sep 15, 12 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:

I agree. We should move the Christians somewhere else. I hear Mars is nice this time of year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
> The administration needed to hide that fact, so they spun up the anti-islam video story and dropped it on the front page.

I agree a lot with you except the administration conspiracy. The anti-Islam video became was a story before the attack ever took place, e.g. the consulates themselves were tweeting about it (famously apologetic) before anything turned violent.

I'm back to thinking the administration conspired to push the anti-Islam video spin in a lame attempt to protect their own political reputations.
Quote Reply

Prev Next