Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HRM cutting my skin
Quote | Reply
I wear the garmin HRM and lately its been cutting into my skin. I think its chaffing but I'm not sure.. theres a big red mark below my chest and it sometimes gets so bad it bleeds. Anyone have this issue? What do you do to fix it. I used to wear the HRM fine until I was playin with the tightness and now it always happens.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM cutting my skin [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is chaffing. Try using BodyGlide or KY around your chest to see what happens.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
It is chaffing. Try using BodyGlide or KY around your chest to see what happens.

Tried that already.. didn't help. I never used to get this chaffing from the HRM tho... hmmm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have just got a new Garmin strap as my old one (the one that snaps together with the actual HRM) was not giving accurate readings.
I raced an Olympic with the new one today (this one connects on the side) and I had exactly the same especially directly under the HRM.
Was planning to use the new one in Kona but not so sure now and will have to use it a lot more over the next few weeks to try and get it sorted so any more tips would be useful.

Chris Walker.
Gibraltar,
Europe
Quote Reply
Re: HRM cutting my skin [Gibraltar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gibraltar wrote:
I have just got a new Garmin strap as my old one (the one that snaps together with the actual HRM) was not giving accurate readings.
I raced an Olympic with the new one today (this one connects on the side) and I had exactly the same especially directly under the HRM.
Was planning to use the new one in Kona but not so sure now and will have to use it a lot more over the next few weeks to try and get it sorted so any more tips would be useful.

Yep I get it directly under the HRM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had to replace my garmin soft strap (old design that buckles in center). New Garmin Premium soft strap design is poor. Worn now for two runs and one Oly race yesterday. Bottom edge of strap cuts skin. Tried body glide, repositioning, loosening, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM cutting my skin [HUK55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
put a strip of medical tape (or hockey tape) along the base of the HR monitor - it solved the poor Garmin design issue. I rinse of the tape after each run/ride to ensure my 'scar' doesn't get infected.

ItsAGoodLifeIfYouTriIt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to assume you have one of the older plastic Garmin straps? If so, buy one of the premium fabric straps, can't even tell it's there!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop wearing an HRM and I guarantee you won't have this problem.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM cutting my skin [beanmj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish they made a HR wrist strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with a Sigma HRM band, which looks a lot like a Garmin band. The raised border around the slot in the plastic battery screw cap was sharp. I whittled off the sharp border and the chafing problem went away.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM cutting my skin [KyraMorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KyraMorgan wrote:
I'm going to assume you have one of the older plastic Garmin straps? If so, buy one of the premium fabric straps, can't even tell it's there!

Its the premium strap. I have two of them too cause I thought my old one was worn away.. The new one does the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lose some weight or loosen the belt?

My Garmin soft strap is the most comfortable thing ever, but my chest is relatively flat. Gravity keeps the strap from cutting into my pecs I suppose, so I could see how if the bottom edge of the strap were resting on a layer of skin then it might be abrasive.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: HRM cutting my skin [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
Lose some weight or loosen the belt?

My Garmin soft strap is the most comfortable thing ever, but my chest is relatively flat. Gravity keeps the strap from cutting into my pecs I suppose, so I could see how if the bottom edge of the strap were resting on a layer of skin then it might be abrasive.

I think my placement is too high. I put it just below my nipples and it cuts into the bottom of my pecs. It never used to cut the skin so I think I used to wear it very low where its flat.. Gonna try that next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right below your nips?????

I knew there was something wrong here. It goes around your upper abs, in the crease between pecs and abs. It nestles there nicely.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: HRM cutting my skin [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the exact same problem with the new strap. Posted here. Polar rep sent me a polar soft strap, problem solved....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have this exact problem and have not found a solution.

Class action lawsuit!

http://www.abbeybiketools.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem until I came up with a simple solution using a piece of Mouse Pad.

I have published pictures of the solution here: http://tinyurl.com/fix-chafing

Last edited by: ottosen: Sep 11, 12 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: HRM cutting my skin [ottosen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ottosen wrote:
I had the same problem until I came up with a simple solution using a piece of Mouse Pad.

I have published pictures of the solution here: http://tinyurl.com/fix-chafing

Very nice solution!
Quote Reply
Re: HRM cutting my skin [surfnrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
will a polar strap work with a garmin watch?

http://www.abbeybiketools.com
Quote Reply
Re: HRM cutting my skin [JShipman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will. The snaps don't line up exactly, but it works. Solved the problem for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Odd. I just started having the same issue. I have worn my old strap for over a year. Got a new one and wore it for 3 months with no issue. Last week, it started cutting into me.

I actually tightened the strap and washed the hell out of the strap and it solved the issue.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have an issue with this, but not quite to the extent of bleeding, as you seem to have.

However the other issue, you may have is a localized dermatitis caused by a "dirty" strap. Even though you may clean the strap after every use, the bacteria can still build up over time.
May I suggest wiping done the strap with an antiseptic wipe, or gentle washing it in an antiseptic liquid. After this, thoroughly rinse the strap in water and dry.

I do this every few months when I notice my strap starting to irritate my skin.
Hope it helps.

"Ride fast enough to get through the forest, but slow enough to see the trees."
Quote Reply