Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Muncie Endurathon History
Quote | Reply
All:

As one chapter comes to a close; another exciting chapter opens. We welcome Ironman Muncie 70.3 to one of the oldest triathlon venues in America this weekend with the first race way back in 1980!
Tell us all some of your fondest memories of coming here, living here, barely finishing in the heat or qualifying for IMH in the early days.

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Endurathon History [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve,

Loved the original. Did it in 99, 01, and 02; but my favorite was 2001. It was my breakthrough AG race in which I won and a springboard to a lackluster pro career. I do have to say, luck was on my side a bit that year. Michael Smith took a wrong turn on the run which enabled me to end up leading, unbeknownst to me. Had we gotten into a footrace, not sure I could have taken him.

THE Endurathon always showcased some of the best of the midwest: Labinksi, Forsee, Smith, Gollnick, Bruskewtiz, Zemaitis, etc.

Here's to many more years of success to the new Muncie!

Quote | Reply
Nice win! We all call that intersection; Smitty's corner! Mike ended up just about my drive-way before he realized the error.

Not possible for it to happen to a nicer guy and he took all the ribbing with a smile. He is a class act all the way!

STIndiana
USAT RD Century Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Endurathon is by far one of my most favorite HIMs. I can"t bring myself to register for the "new" Muncie. I don't mind change, but I'll pass on this one going forward...

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced my first one in 1992.

The wind was blowing and there were whitecaps on the water. I kept breathing to the right (only way I knew how) and getting a mouthful of water. Took me 1:15 to complete the swim, my first ever 1.2 mile swim.

Got out on the bike and the sun & heat arrived. Did not know how to fuel for 56 miles so I cramped on the bike.

Then had to run/WALK most of the 13.1 miles in the 95 degree heat. Loved the country roads for the run course including the bridge over the creek on the back side. Was walking behind a very nice woman wearing the Tinley purple print two piece tri outfit when she let out a huge fart. Neither one of us said a word or even acknowledged it happened, we just got on with the day.

Finished my first Endurathon in a bit over 7 hours, received my plaque which I still have to this day.

GREAT RACE in a GREAT PLACE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than a few skipped years (injury), I've been racing Muncie since 1996 Long Course Worlds
(I think I've done 11). Muncie was my first 1/2 IM.

When it became a 70.3, I swore, I was writing you off for selling out to IM.
But last month, I paid the $241.25...(I did win $1000 one year, 1st female elite,
guess I'm slowly paying it back...lol).

I'm going to miss the "smaller" feeling. I always LOVED Muncie and considered it
a top notch race, organized, volunteers, food. I love everything about your race, even
the sun on the last leg of the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the race in 1981 - back 30 years later - Looking forward to a great event!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any links to race results for 92, 93 and 94 by chance?
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Endurathon History [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those years we were still paper. I would have to look in the in the old history boxes but I was not in leadership until 94.
Here are some little tips for the triathletes this weekend:

Even though Muncie Multi-Sport does not operate the July 9th event at Prairie Creek Reservoir we have done the 1/2 distance here in Muncie countless times and 4 times as the RD. Here are the top 10 lessons learned from nearly 50 finishes as a team and over 20 years of races in Muncie:
10. Drink and eat on the bike…you will need it on the run.
9. Arrive early, anything after 5am and your late!
8. A hat on the run is a must. It keeps the flies from driving you crazy.
7. Run the downhills hard. If you don’t, the uphills will crush you.
6. The event really begins at mile 11 of the run.
5. The sun will be in your eyes on the swim course on the way back in. Know the course!
4. Even if it is a cool morning, the sun will come out-it will get very hot. Drink early and often.
3. The lake is shallow enough for the water temp to move up and down quickly.
2. Bring extra nutrition for Mile 11 and Mile 12 of the run. You’ll need it.
1. Save 5% of your energy for the last hill on the run! It sucks but leaves you with the last bit to the finish line!

Good luck. See you at the MMS races! Here are our remaining races this year:

July 16: Summit Lake Optimist Triathlon

Aug. 13: Central Indiana Orthopedics & Sports Medicine/Muncie August Triathlon
Good tune-up for a late summer Full triathlon!
Sept. 3: T3 MultiSport/Muncie Labor Day Weekend Triathlon
USAT/MidEast Collegiate Triathlon Conference Championships
Oct. 1: Powerman Muncie Triathlons and Duathlons
2011 Mideast Region Duathlon Championship
Oct. 29: IU Health/BMH Muncie Mini Marathon

STIndiana
USAT RD Century Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice guerilla marketing :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember the exact year I did this race, I think 2005, but I do remember the conditions well. The only way I found the place was by following cars with bike racks on the roof because it is in the middle of nowhere and the roads are poorly marked.
The water was too warm for a wetsuit. Being a lousy wetsuit dependent swimmer, I had to really suck it up especially since there was a thick fog and I could barely make out the orange blow-up thingy across the reservoir that we were told to use for sighting.
The sky was significantly overcast so I kept my cycling shoes barely sticking out of my bag at T1. Sure enough, the heavens opened as I got on the bike and rode but at least the shoes were dry to start. Not only did it rain, but there was lightening and thunder. I kept wondering if the race would be stopped, but the lightening abated and only the constant drizzle remained.
As I hit the run, the sky cleared and I got a full 2 hours and change of unmitigated sunlight and blazing temperatures.
Still, despite the conditions, I have to say this was hands down the best venue I've raced and those white sponges in the ice water on the run course were the best! Food was great and I have to say I really enjoyed the endurathon. I'm sorry I haven't made it back but maybe next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muncie used to be my "A" race of the year in the late 80s through the mid 90s. It was always at the end of August then. I remember well the sun in the eyes coming back during the swim, the heat, the wind and the post-race meal under the trees. Ironically, since Muncie is now a WTC event, I started focusing on IMs as my "A" races and I eventually stopped racing Muncie. My Muncie highlight was likely '99 when it was the National Long Course Championship. I had just become a Master and I won the 40-44 title thanks to John Brockenbrough racing elite. I'm likely done with WTC events but I wish all the Muncie participants well and hope they enjoy the event like I did!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 7, 11 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Endurathon History [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
History:
1980. My friends John, Frank and Paul read the SI story about the 1979 race and thought; we can do half of that in Muncie. We have Prairie Creek Reservoir, a perfect loop around the lake for the bike and they all had plenty of run knowledge after training at the lake for the first few Indy Mini marathons.

50 athletes did the 1980 and 1981 versions.
Don Winant won both and Cathy Miller was the ladies champion. Any know if she was the first women to do a half?
Many of the athletes stopped at mike 30 of the bike and eat pb&j sandwiches.

Great stuff!

STIndiana
USAT RD Century Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the Endurathon back in 1999. It was my first attempt at that distance and I crashed and burned on the run. Loved the race and still have my finishers plaque. Can you tell me where I can find the results?
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Endurathon History [ssheets128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I have a paper copy in my files but ....after that?

Good question.

STIndiana
USAT RD Century Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my first Muncie in 1989. All I can really remember was the heat and lack of shade on the run. They had these trash cans filled with ice water and towels, every mile i grabbed a new one and put in over my neck. I finished my first 1/2 IM and made it back one more year before I moved to Texas. Somewhere I have that white with pink t-shirt to this day. Good memories of all my Friends with the Central Ohio Triathlon Team doing that race.

"Grab a Brew Don't Cost nothing"
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Endurathon History [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you ever find results book? I'm looking for specifically 1994 results but would also like 93, 95, 96, 99. Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Endurathon History [Steven Tomboni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steven,

Do you happen to have a hard copy of the '99 results? I did the bike leg for a relay team that year and then did the full solo in 2021 and was curious about the '99 results just for fun. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only did it once back in the mid 90's. Hotter than hell. Had a rear bottle holder on my Softride Power V with all my nutrition for the bike in them. Little did I know that I lost both bottles somewhere out on the road due to rough pavement. Coming in on the bike I was in good position but by mile 7 of the run the wheels starting coming off. LOL
At the finish they were doing a quick med check on folks to see if they were ok.
I felt like death but I faked it in the med check but after I pretty much collapsed.
My girlfriend had to drive home and on the way I think I had two McD's milkshakes and fries, I was ravenous. LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in 1992, 1994, and 1995. '92 was my first ever half. I remember being so shattered during the run that I as I was going through the aid stations, I would grab a cup and throw it over my head... only to discover that it was Gatorade. So I would drink the next one, and it would be warm water. That happened repeatedly.

After the race, I was flat on my back on the ground and I said to my family, "If I ever say the word, 'Hawaii," just shoot me." After that experience, there was no way I could even fathom an Ironman. Those words were no sooner out of my mouth than I heard another veteran racer tell his buddy, "If you can do a half, you can do a full. A half is physical; a full is mental." That stuck with me, and led to Hawaii in 1996.

I also remember Chuckie V. winning a couple of those, I think, and maybe a top guy named Bill Braun, who may have left triathlon to become a pastor. I've always wondered what happened to him, and admired the strength of his faith to leave such a phenomenal athletic career to pursue the ministry.

Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up about 5 miles from the start. As a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s, I rode a Schwinn 10 sp Varsity to my mowing jobs around the area, but thought real cycling was weird, and triathlon was truly crazy. I didn't get into triathlon until the mid 90s, and by then I'd moved far away. I always wanted to go back and race Muncie, but it never worked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post to resurrect. Love to read about memories of the "good old days". Would love to hear some stories about races. How about PineMan, White Lake, Great Floridian, SilverMan...
Aloha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced it in 1986, when we didn't have wetsuits and raced in Speedos. Memories include that heat amongst the corn fields and that the spaghetti dinner at the high school.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Endurathon History [epicreber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry. No.
But. The Friends of the Muncie Endurathon may!?
It’s a local non profit foundation.

And. ‘99 was a great year! My PB. 4:57:05!

(After 2 IV’s, a whole pizza and 4 beers…I could walk lol)
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Endurathon History [plant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced it with a pal 3 years in a row; long time ago. One year it was the WC race with Greg Welch and I believe Karen Sayers winning with a huge field. Another year was the age group nationals and I did it. The first year I did I was when they announced due to the flat hot run, they changed the run course. Now shaded but only 1/4 mile of flat. I hadn't laced up my Nike Duelist shoes as tight as I should and was having a great race. Looking down, the entire ends on my shoes were bright red, but no stopping when you're on! Had torn both big toenails off. Painful days later. That race was always such a great race; well worth the long drive home and tumbling out of the van unable to walk.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next