Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC rumor [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I thought Fraser was done after 2012 with IMC?

He led out the kids fun run last night. Not sure what else he's doing but I've seen him riding around on his bike quite a bit this week.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [sharkGu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkGu wrote:
I'm going to be one of the few who will come on here and admit to the ST mafia that I find this news very, very disappointing. As someone who has done IMC twice and was getting ready to sign up for 2013, I will no longer be doing so. I have a friend who I've talked to this morning who feels exactly the same way. If there is a choice between doing Challenge Penticton and Ironman Canada (in a different location) next year I'll be much more likely to do the latter.

I'm with you to an extent. I'm a bit sad that the Penticton race will no longer be an Ironman race. I'm doing IMC for my second time this year and more likely than not will be back in the future when it's a Challenge race. Not next year - too expensive a trip from Texas - but probably in 2-3 years. For me I'm disappointed because of the loss of a Kona connection. I'm no where close to qualifying or getting a roll down. But, with the new legacy program I've got a chance and I'm getting closer and closer - this will make number 6 for me. This means that when I come back to do the Challenge race it won't count towards my legacy count.

p.s. I doubt I'll go to another race just because it's called Ironman Canada. I might go if it looks like an interesting course/destination but not simply because it's called IMC.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

+1 Challenge Penticton will be a great race but it will never be Ironman Canada. Challenge Penticton will be like a Massachusetts Marathon or a Rev3 Kona. Everything that makes it special has been lost.

[/quote]
Was it special before WTC?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkGu wrote:
I'm going to be one of the few who will come on here and admit to the ST mafia that I find this news very, very disappointing. As someone who has done IMC twice and was getting ready to sign up for 2013, I will no longer be doing so. I have a friend who I've talked to this morning who feels exactly the same way. If there is a choice between doing Challenge Penticton and Ironman Canada (in a different location) next year I'll be much more likely to do the latter.

It may be cool to bash WTC and the IM brand but it's an iconic brand that's become synonymous with this race distance. The other problem is losing 'Canada' from the event. How would people feel if the Boston Marathon became the 'Struggle Massachusetts'?

There is a tendency to think that the grass is always greener and I suspect that's one of the reasons the City of Penticton has gone this route. But at the end of the day they've shot themselves in the foot, IMO. Cities and towns all over Canada will be tripping over themselves to become the new host town of 'Ironman Canada' and then Penticton will have to compete with that race. But at least there will be more pumps in transition :)

And none will have this iconic and classic course. I think a lot of people don't realize that nothing is really changing from the average athlete's perspective. Aside from slightly lower entry fees and wave starts, 2013 will be exactly the same race. The course is not changing, the town is not changing, and I'm willing to bet most of the great volunteers (who are really the core of the race) will not change either.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, IMC was special before WTC!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my point. How can someone say "all that was special is lost", when WTC is the only thing that is gone.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
That was my point. How can someone say "all that was special is lost", when WTC is the only thing that is gone.

Scott

When one has become a lemming, logic is out the door.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Yes, IMC was special before WTC!

----

...and it will be special after WTC..It is not the name of the race but the community in which it is raced that makes it special..WTC alienated the very community that made IMC so special in the first place.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've already got my relay team in place if it goes through. :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:

+1 Challenge Penticton will be a great race but it will never be Ironman Canada. Challenge Penticton will be like a Massachusetts Marathon or a Rev3 Kona. Everything that makes it special has been lost.

FTFY
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Pentictonite wrote:
Francois wrote:
Is there a remote chance for WTC to prevent Challenge from taken over and for the race to go on next year under the challenge label?

That would depend on what lawyer you ask and I am happy to discuss this further however based on the legal advice I am aware of, from my perspective the Challenge Penticton Race will occur and I suspect it will be a best ever.

There is a lot of excitement locally to put on a race that focuses more on the athletes and the overall race experience. It is also important that we not forget about this year’s race, and given that it is the 30th anniversary race I am hopeful that is also a great one for all involved.

==

I would suggest that if you are going to post here on ST and talk as if you are somehow in the "inner circle" of what is going on then you should no longer post anonymously..Full disclosure is the right way to go at the moment.

==

funny nick...you are the number one person on ST that like to make people think you are ''in the know'' but '' you cant say anything''.

People are free to post anonymously here. nothing wrong with this, we are just discussing.... nothing will come out of this. and the inner circle is pretty dam big in penticton....
--

Jonnyo,why would I say things that were said to me in confidence by people from both sides of this battle...Everything I have been able to say on this subject over the last few years has come true but people here don't actually want to look back in time and check that out..It is what it is and I couldn't be happier.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not replying directly to your post Dev, just the last post in the topic as I'm beginning to wonder about the fallout from this decision:

So if some of the conjecture is true from this discussion, it would seem that WTC has been somewhat blindsided by this turn of events. So where does WTC go with Ironman Canada from here? Do they:

- Take a 'high road' and re-name IMMT as IMC and let go of Western Canada?
- Fire a shot right back at Challange and host an IMC in the same 'region' on the same date next year?
- Wait a year and come back to the same region to compete?
- Hold on to the name and wait for Penticton to become available again down the road?
- Go somewhere else with IMC?
- Other?

And how quickly do they respond?

If this is the first shot of many by Challenge at 'scooping' these events, WTC may decide to take a forceful competitive response to ensure that it doesn't happen again somewhere else. Challenge may think twice if they keep 'scooping' events only to find WTC open up shop next door and compete for the same market.

All in all, the competition is good for us consumers, but I am very interested to see WTC's response as a business to this change once all of the legal response shakes out and they're left on the outside looking in at Penticton.

Interesting times indeed... I'll be down to cheer on Sunday! Good luck to those racing!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I wouldn't choose any course just because it's an IM brand. But it would be a tie breaker for sure. Kelowna would be able to put together a very nice course, as would countless other communities in Canada. As a Canadian, the name Ironman Canada means something to me. But I wouldn't do a crappy course.

And no, I don't have a tattoo. But am I proud to wear my shirt sometimes? Of course I am. I'd call BS on anyone who says otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkGu wrote:

It may be cool to bash WTC and the IM brand but it's an iconic brand that's become synonymous with this race distance. The other problem is losing 'Canada' from the event. How would people feel if the Boston Marathon became the 'Struggle Massachusetts'?

What crack have you been smoking.

The WTC is a corporate entity. It is owned by Providence Equity... The WTC that exists today is a HEDGE fund, running for profit races to eventually be sold for a large profit.

It is VERY much different that the WTC that started the races, etc.

Whether you like it or not this can be like the Yawkey family and trust finally selling the Red Sox to the Henry Group.

If there was a "big change" it was Graham Fraser getting tossed out on his a$$ by the WTC. He is the one who built up the race. He is the one that has been keeping it running. Fertig and Messick may put a corporate M-DOT on the race, but that is no different than when the naming rights to the Fleet Center passed to TD Bank North. Same Building. Same people inside. Different name on the outside.

The ouster of Fraser is the bigger issue, but so many people are part of the MDot cult, all they care about is whether there is a red M and really care less about the people behind the scene who make the race.

The same can be said for IM Mont Tremblant. It may have a Red M Dot next to the name, etc., but what made the race was Marc Roy and the people of Tremblant who bought into the race. The individual RDs have a lot more impact than the Franchise in the end
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll put my life experiences up against yours any day.

I've chosen IMC because it's the best course and happens to be my 'home' race. Why would I travel somewhere else to do an inferior race? That said, any race in western Canada would be equally as convenient and I'd look hard at that if the course was good.

And btw, the vast majority of triathlons I've done aren't M-dot branded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkgu, my thoughts are very similar to yours.

Its too bad a person can't express an opinion here about what they prefer for themselves without others suggesting you are foolish for not agreeing with their personal preferences.

Grant

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkGu wrote:

I've chosen IMC because it's the best course and happens to be my 'home' race. Why would I travel somewhere else to do an inferior race? That said, any race in western Canada would be equally as convenient and I'd look hard at that if the course was good.

So why does it make any difference if it is the same course, in the same town and it your home race whether it was WTC, or XYZ as the owner. As others have posted, WTC hires RD's to do the races. Would you
not be more concerned about who is running the race? WTC has had a number of races that were just terrible. Was it WTC or the RD they hired?

Now for me, I care if a race is USAT or not, so I am a lemming to them I guess. I wear my TeamUSA gear with pride. And we know what some think about USAT on ST. :o)

No idea where life experiences got into this issue, but you win.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkGu wrote:

May want to check your previous post, where you said this; "I'm going to be one of the few who will come on here and admit to the ST mafia that I find this news very, very disappointing. As someone who has done IMC twice and was getting ready to sign up for 2013, I will no longer be doing so."

Since it is the same course, in the same town, with the same volunteers, then why wouldn't you do it? If this is your 'home' race, then why do you care what it is called, or who owns the rights to the event? Give it a chance. Does it have to be called Challenge Canada to get you interested?

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Pentictonite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the information you have posted this week. You seem to be the best source here for the details of what is going on.

Grant

Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgunthert wrote:
rbuike wrote:

FTFY

No you didn't

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Forsler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forsler wrote:
Thanks for posting the information you have posted this week. You seem to be the best source here for the details of what is going on.

Thanks Forsler, I really appreciate that.

I am a huge believer in the importance of sharing information and people having a right to know what is going on (as much as is possible given the unfortunate currently escalating legal situation occurring behind the scenes. Let us all hope cooler heads will prevail for the benefit of the sport)

As mentioned earlier I am only a volunteer and hope that Sunday’s race will be a successful one as much as next year’s race will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:

----

...and it will be special after WTC..It is not the name of the race but the community in which it is raced that makes it special..WTC alienated the very community that made IMC so special in the first place.

-----

Exactly! I have done the IMC race twice and out of the ten 140.6 races I have done it is my favorite. I really enjoyed my week in Penticton much more than LP. I enjoyed the pre race vibe, the course is epic and the post race lazy river and wine tours. I didn't go there b/c of Kona slots, I could care less.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of the experience is the people ( spectators) at the event. Challenge / WTC doesent have anything to do with those people. I did Germany 70.3 in Wieisbaden last year it was AMAZING becasue of the people in the villages / along the course. People in full costume running next to you up the climbs like in the tour.... amazing. So far the only thing I have heard about Challenge being better is more pumps in transition
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:

And the course itself, don't forget the course. I agree that the community of people is the foundation, but remember how pissed we all were when the course was in danger of going to loops to save money? I'm not talking about the fire year run course...before that, there was a move to shrink it down to loops. Frankly I don't remember if that was during the period of WTC control - I think not. In fact I think the reason it didn't happen is Graham et al listened to the outcry and backed off. The seemingly simple facts that you aren't doing two half ironman swims back to back with a stroll on the beach and a sip of water in between, and the bike ride actually goes somewhere, and the view on the run never repeats (granted, it does reverse) are important. Maybe not to everybody, but certainly more important to me than the logo on the t-shirt.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Looks like it could be a busy race, 3000 single registrans and 500 relay teams.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...enge-penticton_60105

Yeah that's the one thing that has me more than a little uneasy. Start waves will help somewhat, but 4500 athletes - that's a lot. Swimming in the lake or riding the run course the week before is not going to be as relaxing as it was when there were only 1500 people, never mind trying to find a meal. Pasta dinner with "wave starts" of its own I assume?
Quote Reply

Prev Next