Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC rumor [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Here is something from WTC in response to this:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Penticton_3013.html

Wow.

WTC would do their reputation well to stay a long way away from the actions in that article. Giving back the rights to Fraser, thereby "winning back" IMC would be extremely foolhardy. Penticton would make it very hard on them.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Wow.

WTC would do their reputation well to stay a long way away from the actions in that article. Giving back the rights to Fraser, thereby "winning back" IMC would be extremely foolhardy. Penticton would make it very hard on them.

I am in no way familiar of the dealings here, but from a far I would say, it is pretty arrogant to even think someone you bought all the properties from would in 90 days, want one of those properties given back. But I always say, follow the $$. Nothing like selling something, then getting paid again to take it back ('cause nothing is free).

Great press for WTC the past 2 weeks. ouch.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will the Challenge team 'shorten' the course?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread,

the press conference was very clear that the course will remain the same and the course is in fact, one the best parts of the race itself.

Edit addition: Challenge proof point #1 of race improvements is comparing 2012 to 2013 on race fees and pro pay purse. 2012 $650 entry before taxes (13% for me in Ontario) and pro prize purse of $25,000USD

"With an opening registration fee of CA$675 including taxes, Challenge Penticton will offer value to athletes of all abilities and backgrounds with an enhanced experience and the race field will be restructured to include wave starts, which will allow the addition of relay teams for the first time in Penticton. In addition, professional triathletes will benefit from a 50,000 Euro (CA$61,500) prize purse paying down to 10th place."

@rhyspencer
Last edited by: rhys: Aug 23, 12 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Grab the popcorn kids, this is gonna get ugly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should have used pink font for the question about the race distance, althoughfor some reason Roth seems to be generally accepted as being a 'short' course.

This race is still on the bucket list.

AJ

IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt Penticon could or would do much. Its not that big of a place and once you get involved in multi million dollar deals you, do everything you legally can, then leave it at that.

Everyone here seems to think Fraser is a stand up guy, so maybe he'll just turn down the giveback of the race, then this all goes away.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Hot Tamales] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here I was all primed to pull the trigger on Canada; now what?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Wow.

Penticton City Council: "Sure, you can have your race back, but we're giving you Thanksgiving weekend to run it. Good luck! I hear Yellow Lake is lovely that time of year."

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Graham Fraser is out with Ironman
Wednesday, 01 August 2012 02:00 DAVID CROMPTON

Ironman Canada provides a huge economic spinoff for the community and special events such as this press conference with former champ Jordan Rapp (extreme left) but what does the future hold for Penticton?

Graham Fraser confirmed he will no longer be affiliated with the Subaru Ironman Canada Triathlon, while his letter to city council this week also re-affirmed his commitment to the Penticton Vees Junior-A Hockey Club.
Fraser, who purchased the Penticton race in 1996, had to relinquish his licence to IC as part of an agreement with the World Triathlon Corporation, a for-profit organization that bought Fraser's North American Sports races in 2009.
"Graham negotiated to keep Ironman Canada a few years longer than his other races," said Coun. Judy Sentes.
Fraser discussed his imminent departure from IC with Sentes and the city's chief administrative officer Annette Antoniak in recent weeks, Sentes said.
"We only formally received confirmation from Graham this week," said Sentes. "It wasn't a voluntary departure on his part."
Ironman Canada Race Society president Frank Darin, a close friend of Fraser who serves as president and a minority owner of the Vees, agreed with the assessment.
"He wasn't ready to give it up," said Darin, adding Fraser is "100 per cent behind the Vees" as they embark on defending their national championship.
Council will be discussing the Ironman situation at an in-camera meeting on Tuesday and is expected to make an announcement later in the week.
Antoniak said she will be compiling a full report ready for members of council to consider. A key question is how Fraser's departure will impact the five-year contract the city has with Fraser to keep the race in Penticton.
The city is currently paying an annual 'marketing' fee to keep the race in Penticton. This year's fee is $60,000 and the fee tops out at $75,000 in the final year of the deal in 2014.
"We're at a crossroads, but at a good crossroads," said Mayor Dan Ashton. "This allows council the option to look at the race and the contract in its entirety."
When the deal with Fraser was originally struck, the ICRS took on the task of raising the marketing fee through the sale of IronClub memberships. However, there will not be an IronClub this year, which would appear to leave the city on the hook for the marketing fee.
Sentes said it's possible an IronClub or something similar could be re-launched in the near future.
"We've worked well with the society and the city has always been there as a backstop," Ashton said. "We'll certainly be discussing all the issues … we're very fiscally oriented and responsible to the taxpayers of Penticton."
Ashton said the city will make sure it abides by the terms of the contract.
"The criteria also had to be matched by Ironman," said Ashton.
Sentes said the change in strategy for the WTC started when Providence Equity Partners purchased it from Dr. James P. Gillis in 2008 and bought the NA Sports races a year later.
"We're waiting for more information and options on what happens from here, when this year's race is over," said Sentes.
Sentes said she doesn't believe the WTC has plans to move the race.
"They haven't moved any of the other races in North America," said Sentes. "The strategy has been aimed more at expanding its number of races. There was a time when this race and Hawaii were the only two Ironmans in North American"
Ashton said the city does have a strong interest in negotiating with WTC to ensure the long-term future of IC in Penticton.
"It's a huge benefit to the entire region and brings worldwide attention to Penticton and the Okanagan-Similkameen," said Ashton. "Tourism isn't what it once was. This is a very important event for us right at the start of our shoulder season for tourism."
Sentes said nobody wants to see the "transition in the Ironman world" deter from the 30th anniversary IC race on Sunday, Aug. 26.
Sentes said Fraser is "passionate and committed" to the community and wants to make this year's event the best it can possibly be.
"Graham has a residence here, he owns the hockey team and he comes here quite frequently," said Sentes. "He wants to leave a legacy to the city from this year's race."
She noted Fraser has always put an emphasis on giving back to the city, pointing to the rubberized track at the King's Park indoor facility that was a legacy from the 25th anniversary race. Sentes also alluded to the fact he created the Ironman Canada Community Fund, which the ICRS had "governance" of.
In assessing the Ironman in general, Sentes said there is still a strong market for it, noting people are now getting involved at a much younger age thanks to the success of grassroots events such as Penticton's own Boston Pizza Junior Triathlon.
"At one time, the race would sell out in an hour; last year it was seven hours," said Sentes. "Despite the number of races, it keeps growing in popularity."
Still, an event that was promoted as a full-week festival has contracted into something considerably smaller in Penticton. Sentes said there are now more than 50 Ironmans in the world, which has changed the dynamics of the event considerably.
"As the WTC grows the opportunities, people have more choices," said Sentes. "With the tradition, popularity and infrastructure of this race, we will always draw well.
"(But) expanding (Ironman Canada) as a festival does have some challenges."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Wow.

_______

What a mess !! I was planning on going back to Penticton next year .... but I'll definitely stay out of this mess .... who knows what may happen and I'm sure not putting my dollars into it.
I decided not to do the 30th anniversary because of the numbers that would be there .... what a pit for those there for the race to be caught in the middle of this. What a shame.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
I doubt Penticon could or would do much. Its not that big of a place and once you get involved in multi million dollar deals you, do everything you legally can, then leave it at that.

Everyone here seems to think Fraser is a stand up guy, so maybe he'll just turn down the giveback of the race, then this all goes away.

Yeah, this is a sticky situation for all involved. It seems the community wants to do more with their race but they are limited by the WTC format and control. They also feel that Graham is "their local guy" and if he can't run it and represent them to the big corporation then they will align with anothe corporation that will give them more autonomy. WTC is basically stuck in a bind. In this power play scenario, WTC kind of needs Penticton more than Penticton needs WTC, which is the opposite of other communities where the community needs WTC more than WTC needs then....for example if the town of Tremblant did an Ironman and initially aligned with Challenge there is no way on this earth they'd have the smashing success they did being aligned with WTC. Challenge has no brand appeal in North America. However Penticton on its own has brand appeal to athlete through years of building their event.

Anyway at this point from the outside it appears there no way WTC can win and really get back into Penticton. Messick must be totally fried...the guy was at IMNYC, had to deal with the post event registration shut down/suspension, went back to Tampa, flew up to Tremblant, did an 11:40 Ironman, was on a flight the next morning at 5 am back to Tampa, then flies up to Penticton to deal with this fire. I would not have liked to spend the last 14 days in his shoes. Wow. Then again, that's what CEOs do at other corporations (minus cramming in an Ironman).
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 23, 12 15:07
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI - Just spoke to the a Challenge CEO and the volunteer line up will be honored at registration.

ItsAGoodLifeIfYouTriIt
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Mr X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there going to be a open public sign up?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [vguy2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it could be a busy race, 3000 single registrans and 500 relay teams.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...enge-penticton_60105

AJ

IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [vguy2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes

vguy2001 wrote:
Is there going to be a open public sign up?

ItsAGoodLifeIfYouTriIt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why Slowtwitch rules. I'm in Penticton and I head to Slowtwitch for info.

"it's also a personal choice to remain ignorant" - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will be a discount to $599 for those ONSITE who sign up Monday. I was told this by the City's rep at the SS Sicamous display.
Sarge

"it's also a personal choice to remain ignorant" - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [sgttriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this could be the special 'door prize' they told me about at the SS Sicamous...if not, there will be a door prize of some sorts.

sgttriathlon wrote:
There will be a discount to $599 for those ONSITE who sign up Monday. I was told this by the City's rep at the SS Sicamous display.
Sarge

ItsAGoodLifeIfYouTriIt
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [sgttriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgttriathlon wrote:
Sarge

This is correct. The registration for the Challenge Penticton Race will be at the SOEC.
Directions to the SOEC can be found here....

http://www.soec.ca/...ions/directions.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Tri Bread,

the press conference was very clear that the course will remain the same and the course is in fact, one the best parts of the race itself.

Edit addition: Challenge proof point #1 of race improvements is comparing 2012 to 2013 on race fees and pro pay purse. 2012 $650 entry before taxes (13% for me in Ontario) and pro prize purse of $25,000USD

"With an opening registration fee of CA$675 including taxes, Challenge Penticton will offer value to athletes of all abilities and backgrounds with an enhanced experience and the race field will be restructured to include wave starts, which will allow the addition of relay teams for the first time in Penticton. In addition, professional triathletes will benefit from a 50,000 Euro (CA$61,500) prize purse paying down to 10th place."

$675 is not a value (for me at least). Just as I said that $700 is not a value for IMMT.
Maybe I am just getting old and want prices back to where they were when I started. ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the "argument" with WTC is not resolved by Monday, will they still proceed with registration? They probably don't want to get into a situation where they have to cancel registration halfway and refund money to those already registered ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing the voice of Ironman Canada, Steve King will become the voice of Challange Penticton...which will be like coming home again to race a great event. Can't wait to sign up.
Last edited by: Reparto Corse: Aug 23, 12 17:10
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Old_Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old_Rambler wrote:
If the "argument" with WTC is not resolved by Monday, will they still proceed with registration? They probably don't want to get into a situation where they have to cancel registration halfway and refund money to those already registered ...

Yes, the registration at the SOEC will begin at 9 am Monday morning. There will also be a special line for the volunteers.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Pentictonite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the signup time?
Quote Reply

Prev Next