Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC rumor [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhouckwsu wrote:
To you and Captain Canada and other WTC haters..... Just curious here. Why the hate? is it because the WTC is the big kid on the block? You seem to love Challenge races, they aren't exactly a small company. Have you ever done a challenge race to know they are superior to WTC races? If so, I am curious on what makes them superior to a WTC race? Are wave starts really that important to you? Is it the cost? The price between difference is only $34 dollars between this and last year, with several WTC races cheaper than the $675 for next year. All the races in Europe are around $600 as well so... Is it the crowded WTC fields? because according to the Challenge website many of their races have 3000 competitors. Is it the SWAG bags? Are they that much better? Because if that is the main issue, give me $350, I will follow you around for 140.6 miles giving you nutrition, mechanic work on your bike etc.. and you will have $325 to spend on T shirts visors etc.. I just dont get all the hate. WTC sponsored IM races give thousands of dollars to communities they are in through the charity foundations, does Challenge do that? ( i really dont know I am just curious) I expect there will be several snarky answers back to this, but it is a serious question.

Wait, I am a WTC hater? How so? I do a couple of their races every year. I have spent thousands of dollars on them. If I have some criticisms that does not make me a hater, that makes me a consumer. I want them to be better.. Competition is healthy, I welcome independent races.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
otto wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
I think a good rule of thumb in PR is to never make an announcement unless you have good news. I am betting on IMWhistler at the moment given that intrawest owns Tremblant and as far as I know still owns part of Whistler Blackcomb.

That would be my bet as well. I vote for the ride to include the Mt Currie section.

Point-to-point-to-point? There's absolutely no way in hell I'd want to descent Mt Currie Southbound anywhere near most IM athletes...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know its a minor point, but Intrawest got totally out of Whistler a few years ago. i just checked their site as well and they don't mention Whistler or Blackcomb.

carry on!

BB
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Sandbagging] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you use the fuckwtc2013 code to sign up for Vegas ??
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai wrote:
Point-to-point-to-point? There's absolutely no way in hell I'd want to descent Mt Currie Southbound anywhere near most IM athletes...

Come on, Khai, its not that bad. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5627655

Just because we were dumb enough to ride up it one year.

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, the quality of the events WTC puts on is probably the best out there, but I'm talking big picture here.

Ironman is (well maybe now, "used to be") the only full distance race series to span the globe. There were other small players (Rev 3, Challenge, etc) but they were only in certain areas, not worldwide. Now you see Challenge coming to North America, Rev 3 has a race in Costa Rica, etc. If the trend continues, there will be races from different series all over the world.

I would say the only leg up that WTC now has on the competition is the name "Ironman" and the rights to Kona. We just saw Pentincton decide to switch over from WTC (obviously not sure, just speculating here). But what's to stop the town of Kona from doing the same thing? And what's to stop Challenge and Rev 3 getting together and putting on a championship Ironman race of their own? Sure, right away it wouldn't mean much, but over time I'm sure it would build momentum. If this happens, the only leg up that WTC has is the name "Ironman" and I think people are finding (especially with today's announcement) that the name means less and less every day. More competition in the industry is good for everybody, except maybe WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true, Khai. So true.

Peter Solymosi
The Tri Bike Fit Studio
Vernon, BC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahaha! No, I don't think they would have sent me that code. I have nothing against WTC. Did/will do many of their races, just really want to race in Penticton next year.

Carlos
-----------------------------------------------------------
After 3 years, time to go long again. IM Canada 2013
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad I guess this was a term of endearment. Don't get me wrong everyone is entitled to their opinion, I am just curious on what I missed that makes people hate the WTC.

CaptainCanada

Aug 23, 12 9:41

Post #155 of 207 (1116 views)
Re: IMC rumor [dcameron999] [In reply to]Quote | Reply

Try "fuckwtc2013" for the code ;)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Sandbagging] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have a good race in all of em...
Last edited by: jhouckwsu: Aug 23, 12 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now it is official, challenge Penticton coming.

http://www.trimes.org/...tting-back-his-race/
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Intrawest was in receivership several years back... they may have lost Whistler in the process.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skip wrote:
RobAllen wrote:
The basics are:
Wave starts

Challenge Roth has a 15 hour time limit right? I assume CP will be the same...or maybe not. In Germany, how specifically do they integrate that with wave starts? Does every competitor get at least 15 hours? Last year at IMC there were 462 people over 15 hours but under 17. I'm fine with the tighter time limit if it turns out that way, but wondering how it is implemented.

If memory serves, in 2009 I was in the second AG wave leaving at 7:06. End of the race was at 10:30pm. So 15 hours was probably from the last wave start. There is a lengthy pause and then the relays go in waves - they have 13.5 hours. I think the finishing time has to do with noise rather than a European limit. Frankfurt has come down twice form the 17 hour limit because of noise complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhouckwsu wrote:
I just dont get all the hate. WTC sponsored IM races give thousands of dollars to communities they are in through the charity foundations, does Challenge do that? ( i really dont know I am just curious) I expect there will be several snarky answers back to this, but it is a serious question.

Actually WTC community fund program is supported by the participants who pay double the price for a community fund spot. Half of that money is for the race fee and the other half for the WTC community donation. WTC itself does make a community donation.

The big difference here is the city of Penticton is taking ownership of the race. Challenge is a hired gun to help promote and execute the race. There is a set fee for that. This will be partially offset by any monies they had to pay WTC to host the race in Penticton. Any profits above that (removing other race expenses) are for the city. If all goes well, they will make the race profit instead of the WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Kiwi03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now it is official, challenge Penticton coming.

http://www.trimes.org/...tting-back-his-race/

I know it seems like this forum is the be all to end all, but there is a front page for this site, this story has been up for awhile now;

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Challenge_Penticton_announced_3011.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Alex M wrote:
+1. Is this a red flag for WTC? Will this change their focus in any way? Challenge touts "for the athletes." I don't know what this means.

It honestly should be a huge red flag. Venerable races like IMC switching over will be the tip of the iceberg. Companies like Challenge and Rev will swoop in and capitalize on all the missteps that WTC has had over the past few years.

I've been wondering about Rev3 Williamburg and IM Raleigh 70.3 for a while now. It sounds to me like IM was going after something in the area and were turned down by Williamsburg, VA. A few months later, IM Raleigh 70.3 was announced.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Why? Seriuos question, I've only done 1 IM race and 3 independant one. the independants were every bit as nice as far as course and organization, but cheaper and smaller. Other than the size and cost of WTC races i had no issue with them.

So Challenge Canada will be about 700 and likely just as big (heck Roth is gigantic). What does Challenge bring to the table that WTC didn't (and I have nothing against Challenge what so ever, I just don't expect them to hand out Miatas instead of medals and have steak and caviar at the finish line.

I just did Challenge Copenhagen. I've done 3 WTC IMs. I love them both ... not a hater at all. Here are some of the things on the top of my head that Challenge does better

1. More timing matts, so you get more splits

2. Wave start, so less fighting involved

3. Their free phone tracking apps is very good. If your family is following you, they will be able to track you a lot better than WTC races.

4. more transition support. They have free pumps laying around all over the place in transition. They offer free mechanic support. I had my derellieur adjusted for free the day before. People had other services provided for free in transition also.

5. Redbull at every single aid station :)

Quote | Reply
jhouckwsu wrote:
My bad I guess this was a term of endearment. Don't get me wrong everyone is entitled to their opinion, I am just curious on what I missed that makes people hate the WTC.

This is an emotional thread and you are bringing up facts?? :) At the end of the day it will be the same for many of us. WTC made so many mistakes on the way they interact with the athletes and are somewhat paying for it now. Some is just the way the ironman business is.

Canada just became the playground of some heavyweight competition, curious to hear of the new location for WTC in Canada. I'll go with Whistler as well as it just fit their new business model and make a lot of sense. But who knows.

Try "fuckwtc2013" for the code ;)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Their free phone tracking apps is very good. If your family is following you, they will be able to track you a lot better than WTC races.

Well I wonder if WTC has plans for their own. The Pele app that works quite well was pulled from the App Store awhile back...perhaps it was bought?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgalluzz wrote:
To be honest, the quality of the events WTC puts on is probably the best out there, but I'm talking big picture here.

Frankly, Challenge (at least Roth) puts on a better race. By far in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:

5. Redbull at every single aid station :)

that's all i care about.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is something from WTC in response to this:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Penticton_3013.html
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I said in another thread....This could get interesting!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting that during press conference they said it was be cheaper - yet the press release now shows it's basically same price ($675).

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMC rumor [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
skip wrote:
RobAllen wrote:
The basics are:
Wave starts

Challenge Roth has a 15 hour time limit right? I assume CP will be the same...or maybe not. In Germany, how specifically do they integrate that with wave starts? Does every competitor get at least 15 hours? Last year at IMC there were 462 people over 15 hours but under 17. I'm fine with the tighter time limit if it turns out that way, but wondering how it is implemented.

If memory serves, in 2009 I was in the second AG wave leaving at 7:06. End of the race was at 10:30pm. So 15 hours was probably from the last wave start. There is a lengthy pause and then the relays go in waves - they have 13.5 hours. I think the finishing time has to do with noise rather than a European limit. Frankfurt has come down twice form the 17 hour limit because of noise complaints.

I looked at the Roth results from 2011 and 2012 - in both cases there were a handful of finishers listed over 15 hours (6 last year, 15 the year before, the last two were both M70, at 15:36 and 16:23). The number of finishers really drops off after 13 and especially 14 hours when compared to any of the north american races. Anyway...it will be interesting to see what the time limit is. If they leave it at 17, then it will be effectively even higher than that for any earlier waves, as it's not like they're going to pull people off the course when there are others still running behind them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next